1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of going to hell

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anonmember, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, in psychiatry they don't call it magical thinking, they call it a thought disorder. But we're mincing words based on what we call it. The process of thinking that if you think something so hard that it actually might happen is definitely a disorder which they will treat with medication or therapy because obviously it doesn't work that way and people with this magical thinking must be re-educated.

2. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is UPR?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unconditional Positive Regard. (That's why I put it in parentheses after the first time I used it.)

4. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Faith and belief in God isn't a thought disorder. And no, the process of thinking and believing in somethign so hard that it actually might happen is *not* a thought disorder, and is *not* treated with medication. (Again, I exclude schizophrenic delusion from positive thinking and belief.) Furthermore, no, people who think this way don't necessarily need to be re-educated. Faith, positive thought, belief in what's possible can be helpful, and the power of intention does have both a neurochemical and physical basis. I'm not saying it works all the time or even most of the time, but, for example, in the study of immune response, mood, and perception, our thoughts have a pretty powerful level of control over what we experience. This is not even remotely controversial, and is validated both in the realms of biochemistry and physics.

5. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't talking about faith and belief in God as a thought disorder, I meant thinking more along the lines of "If I believe hard enough, my dead Grandma will come back to life." That kind of magical thinking.

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, if we're talking about that, it's in the realm of a psychotic thought disorder. Depending on the nature of it, there might be some meds that would work, but in modern psychiatry, the focus is really on whether the delusion/disorder is interfering with every day life. If someone believes somethign that doesn't really impact day-to-day functioning, for the most part, the profession has the perspective that it isn't appropriate to intervene. There was a student that dressed like, and told everyone that she was a vampire, and seemed very sincere. One of the psych professors interviewed her at the request of one of the deans, and determined that while she had this delusion, she didn't drink blood, didn't bite people, and it was essentially harmless.

7. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anonmember, I'm still very curious about your religious experience. How did you come to find religion after not being raised religious and without religious parents? What made you seek out religion? What made your particular religion the one you found the most appealing? Did you check out other religions before you chose Christianity? If so, which ones? What was it about Christianity that you felt a pull from? I don't mean to be nosy, but faith is a mystery to me. I have my own beliefs about the universe, but religion is a mystery to me. I don't understand how someone in this day and age and can find religion unless they were born into it. Like I said, I was loosely raised Catholic, I went to Catholic school until 4th grade when I had to leave in the middle of the year because I was being bullied so badly. I never really believed, though. When I had my first Holy Confession, I just made stuff up to tell the priest behind the screen and when I went to do my penance, I just sat quietly, not saying the prayers they told me to say because I didn't think any of it mattered. When I had my first Holy Communion I didn't understand the difference between the unconsecrated wafers they used in practice communion and the consecrated wafers the priests used-- I thought "So the priest just says a few words over the consecrated ones and that's what makes it magic?" I just assumed it was magic. I never believed because I lacked the necessary faith. But you seem to actually believe despite your otherwise irreligious background. How? What makes you believe? I'm not condemning you or your faith in any way, I'm just genuinely curious what makes a person believe in your religion in this modern age, especially when they had an irreligious upbringing.

8. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was feeling miserable and I had a fear of going to hell and I thought it might help, so I thought "Why not take a blind leap of faith?". I've heard before that Jesus had cured their depression, and people have told me that life with Jesus is more fulfilling. I researched different religions, looking them up online and watching the "Faith" series on the OWN YouTube channel, and Christianity made the most sense.

I took the leap of faith, and I still don't feel any happier unfortunately. I guess for some people it makes life more fulfilling but that's not the case for everyone. I am afraid to leave now that I started though, so I'm staying in the religion out of fear and so I can make more disciples.

Maybe I will develop a more progressive view on Christianity like Chip suggested so that I can still be in homosexual relationships and possibly a homosexual marriage, but I don't see myself ever leaving Christianity.

#88 anonmember, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious... you took the leap of faith because it was represented to you that doing so would cure your depression, and make your life more fulfilling. And you did so, and you don't feel any more fulfilled or happy, and you're still depressed.

And yet... you want to make more disciples to a religion that hasn't done what it promised to do for you? So are you basically saying you want to encourage other people to convert to something that won't make them any happier, but will make them live in fear that if they don't do something that some group of people misinterpreting a book says they need to do... they'll burn in hell forever when they die?

Why on earth would you want to subject anyone else to that? For that matter, why would you subject yourself to that?

Again, I'm not bashing the religion; I'm being pragmatic. The religion did not do for you what it promised to do. So if it didn't do the positive thing, why would you believe that the negative thing would be true either? The internal consistency of the logic here doesn't make sense.

What would it be like to consider living your life the way you want to live it, on a basis of your own belief in yourself, your own trust that whatever happens after this life is OK if you are a basically decent person? Do you think that might influence you and help you to feel happier?

10. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So you had a fear of Hell before turning to Christianity? Which Hell? There are many Hells. There's the Christian Hell, the Buddhist Naraka, the Jews have Sheol... which one were you afraid of before you converted? The Christian Hell isn't all fire and brimstone if you read the Bible, you know. In Christianity Hell is simply a permanent cessation of consciousness when you die, or as it's called in the Revelation of John: "Second death." Even the Pope has recently said that Hell is just a dissolution of souls, meaning they fade away.

But to convert to a religion out of fear of something isn't a good reason to convert at all. I'm not condemning you here, but to convert to Christianity simply because you're scared is something people did in the dark ages. It was like voter fraud but for faith. That was partially why Martin Luther wrote his thesis of 95 reasons why the Catholic church was corrupted and stuck it on every door he could. You shouldn't convert to a religion because you're scared, you should convert to a religion because it moves you.

You said you don't feel any happier, are you sure you're in the right religion? If you are, that's cool. Everybody likes Jesus to some degree. Even if he wasn't the Son of God, he was still a really progressive guy who gave a lot of people hope. I studied Buddhism for awhile, I even went to a Zen Buddhist temple for a few months. I've also gone to services at a Unitarian Universalist church, which is basically extremely liberal Christianity who believe that everybody makes it to Heaven, eventually.

11. aboutface

To me the very concept of hell makes the entire thing inherently coercive. It's a threat designed to force people into compliance under penalty of eternal torture if they refuse.

To me it's a really harmful idea, and it's not the type of set-up I would expect from a truly all-powerful and all-loving God.

12. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I fear leaving Christianity because I’m afraid I would go to hell.

Before I was a Christian, my beliefs leaned more towards Buddhism and my goal was to get to Nirvana.

What if I went back to Buddhism or any other belief, and then died and realized I was wrong? That would be awful and a horrible regret.

I also saw a post on Facebook that said “If the Bible calls it sin, it’s sin, your opinion doesn’t matter.”

People who weren’t Christian before became Christian after dreaming about Jesus.

There have been stories from the Bible that have been uncovered in real life by historians.

I don’t want to take that risk.

There is no evidence against the existence of hell and Christianity. Any religious belief requires faith, a belief in what you cannot see.

Even atheism requires faith because there is no evidence for atheism.

13. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a fear of every hell. I’ve thought about converting to Islam after hearing the Quran never directly mentions homosexuality.

14. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe finding a church that focuses a little more on love, community, and helping others and a little less on hell and judgment would help. Christianity can (and should) be about more than "fire insurance" and trying to shame or make people so afraid they join. The ways Jesus himself did it was to show love. That love was what drew people to him. Churches with that focus (instead of sin, Hell, and damnation focused churches) might be healthier for you and are more likely to be accepting of LGBT people.

15. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some religions don't even have a Hell. Like I was talking about Unitarian Universalism, they don't have a Hell. Their reasoning is that every soul, no matter how vile or wicked, is eventually reconnected with God, eventually. They also draw inspiration in their sermons from not only Christianity, but Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Taoism and many other religions! I've been to one of their services as I'm lucky enough to live right near a UU church. It's really quite something. They are rather secular, but there's definitely a sense of community about them.

16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, then... let's go with that. What if you stay Christian, and die, and realize that it's actually Mormonism, or Judiasm, or Hinduism or Catholicism, or Native American shamanism, or any of the other thousands of religions, many of which absolutely insist that theirs is the only way, and if you aren't following their path, you'll go to hell (or some variation thereof?) The point is, you don't know you're correct. You think you are... but what if you're not?

I saw a quote on the Internet that said "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" credited to Abraham Lincoln. Talk is cheap.

And people who weren't Jewish, or Catholic, or Mormon, that had dreams about those religions and converted as well.

And the same is true for other religions.

You do realize it's impossible to prove a negative, right? On any topic.

Agreed. The point I'm making is... you've adopted a religion that you've pointed out judges you and tells you that you can't be who you are, and can't love who you want to, so you're basically committing to being unhappy in this life in the hope that maybe this particular religion happens to be the right one that will benefit you 60 or 80 years from now. And, of course, there's also the minor issue that a majority of people in the world are adherents to beliefs that are different than yours. So basically, you're saying that everyone else -- a significant majority of everyone in the world, except the people in your religion -- are going to hell.

Step back for a moment and think about the logic of that. If your God is truly the accepting, loving, benevolent Creator that your teachings say he is, why would he create all of these billions of people, only to let the overwhelming majority of them die and burn in hell forever simply because they made a reasonable and sensible choice that a different religious belief made more sense to them than yours. Does that make sense? Likewise, do you really believe that if you'd kicked the bucket a year ago, before you found Christianity, that you would have spent the rest of eternity in hell simply because you didn't know? And if there are some obscure rules that say you get a 'get out of hell free' card if you didn't know... does that make sense? Does the whole thing seem like something your loving Creator would do?

I think if you look at it objectively, it simply doesn't make any logical sense when you dissect it and look at it.

Again, I'm in no way trying to tell you what to think, or what religion to practice, nor am I devaluing Christianity, because I know an awful lot of people who strongly believe in it... but happen to belong to a church that is sensible in its beliefs and actually follows the underlying beliefs that the Bible teaches, which is about love, acceptance, grace, and non-judgment. And I know plenty of others who practice other beliefs as well. And I seriously doubt any of those, regardless of what particular flavor of religion they follow, are going to end up in Hell because they happened to pick wrong.

What I am saying is... it's very possible that *all* of these religions have basic parts of it correct, and there are multiple paths to the same place.

This basically falls back on William Glasser's Choice Theory, which in a nutshell, asks if what you are doing is working, and if not, do you want to change and do something that is working. It does not sound like your current beliefs are working for you, and it doesn't seem terribly sensible to say that, because you decided something 6 or however many months ago, and that somethign isn't making you happy, that you have to stick with it for the next 80 years out of fear that if you don't, you'll go to hell. That's simply not a very happy way to live your life, and if you really think about it, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that your Creator would actually intend for things to be that way.

#96 Chip, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  17. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Catholicism is a branch of Christianity.

18. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not according to some of the more firebrand Protestants like my Dad, who say that Catholics worship Mary and therefore cannot be considered "Christian."

#98 Benway, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you're going to blow off my entire post with that one line of response (which Benway has already addresed)?

Please understand... the point I'm making here isn't to make you wrong, to challenge the validity of your beliefs, or anything of the sort. You've said you are unhappy, and my focus is on the logic behind the decisions you've made, and whether they are effective in helping you to feel happier. Nothing more.

20. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry. That was probably rude of me to do that. I apologize. I should've either said something different or not responded at all.

If I left, I would disappoint some people, including my friend Margo who introduced me to this whole thing and said the sinners' prayer with me.

Margo is now confident with all her heart that I will go to heaven when I die, and she strongly believes I will live the rest of my life as a Christian.

When I was in the new age, she evangelized to me several times. I told her once "I believe in the New Age religion instead of your religion.", she was immediately saddened and said "Tell me why you are in the New Age."

I said "Because it works for me."

She said "Okay, I encourage you to pray to find truth, and if you ask sincerely, god will answer." I was immediately offended by what she said.

Then she said "There's no judgment here." But I still felt judged by her even after she said that. It took me a couple months to get over what she said.

She was already saddened by me telling her I was New Age back then, so if I left Christianity, she would be saddened again and very surprised this time.

From what I know, Margo will definitely go into the grave believing what she believes, especially since she is in her 50's now and she has been a believer her whole life. When someone has been a believer for that long, they are pretty much set in stone with their beliefs.

I have had dreams where I lost faith in Jesus and became agnostic and it makes me feel yucky inside, and those dreams are usually scary.

Although I had one dream where I became New Age again, and that was a happy dream.

When I wake up from these dreams I immediately go back to believing in Jesus.

I wonder why I'm having these dreams. One person I know who is a Reiki master told me it's because there's probably a part of my soul that doubts it.

If I could find absolute proof that Christianity isn't real, that would be wonderful, because it's not fun having all of these rules. I don't think there's absolute proof that it's the truth, but I don't think there is absolute truth that it isn't real.

If any of you guys find evidence against it, I would love for you to share it, because that would be wonderful.