1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sally Ride dies at 61

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by solarcat, Jul 23, 2012.

1. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Sadly, Sally Ride has passed away due to pancreatic cancer.
    [link]
    Apparently, not only was she the first woman in space, she may have been the first lesbian in space, too. Her relationship with her partner, Tam O'Shaughnessy, lasted 27 years.

2. suninthesky

Thanks for the info. Sad, and her partner is in my thoughts, but it's kind of nice to know. She was/is a great role model.

3. Markio

Sally Ride is/was awesome! She was like the Amelia Earhart of the 1980s (turns out Ride's death day is the same as Earhart's birthday...).

I had no idea she was a lesbian either until today. I saw that her obituary merely mentioned that she was survived by her partner, a female woman lady. I'm glad her outing was not contrary to any other obituary: it helps to normalize lesbian relationships, I think.

4. Peanuts

I'm happy and I'm sad at the same time, because she was able to accomplish so much but died so young. Being in space and working at NASA is a total dream of mine so stories like hers are inspiring, even if just a little.

5. IrisM

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sad to hear....I'll admit second there I thought it said Sally Field, but still a very sad day.

7. prism

She is a true American hero and has inspired me in so many ways. She died surrounded by loved ones and has taken her rightful place amongst the stars.