1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running Away

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CyberStar, May 30, 2015.

1. CyberStar

In my place, it's got too horrible to stand. So, since my parents are moving to Colorado, I've decided to move out. I'm seventeen and live in South Carolina, so that's legal. But the problem is, I don't have anywhere to stay and could end up homeless if I don't go with them. But, I have their permission to leave, and they will sign all the necessary forms if I fax them to them. So, moving day is about a week away at this point and I'm not sure what to do. I'm really worried about what could happen if I stay or go. Anybody have advice on what I should do?

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well i don't understand your whole situation and would need more details to really give an answer so I apologize if this not what your looking for but first of all why do you want to move out? I was thinking you live in South Carolina a very conservative state and your family is moving to Colorado a more moderate open minded place which has big cities such as Denver. Would be a good idea for you to move to Colorado with them and than move out on your own. It would be a better and safer start because it is Colorado not the deep South.

3. Miko

Miko Guest

I defiantly agree with the above. It's hard for me to really say though because I live in the UK and pretty much everywhere here is open minded.

Find a place where you're likely to find people who would take you in, then move out. In the UK the government can give you a free house/apartment to help you start up on your own, I don't know if the US has something similar or not.

Here's hoping you find somewhere nice to stay. It's a shame your home situation has gotten so bad, keep strong. ^-^

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jeez that kind of system is what is needed here in the US. We had HUD(Housing and Urban Development) a housing assistance program but they have so many regulations and rules and stuff i want to sign up for it myself but i don't like having people on my back like that.

Signing up for any kind of assistance programs in the OP's situation is a great idea though.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hmm, I'd let you crash at my place, but I'm afraid we are not in the same area.

Look for help before you make that move : Social workers,etc... Grab all the info you cn nd try t least to have a place you can stay at least for a week, even if it is a homeless shelter.

Also get a job asap. You are going to need cash.

Whatever you do, please stay safe. If that means giving up expressing your gender, do it. There is some mean bastards out there who might try to take advantge of you if you are clearly presenting female.

Streets are mean as fuck, so look for help and keep very vigilant about your sorroundings. Be always ready for the worst, and don't put your trust on anyone.

Please take good care of yourself and keep us updated. We'll be here.

#5 Michael, May 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  6. cold42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's better to be safe than sorry

7. Synthetik

Where in South Carolina?

8. CyberStar

I'm currently at Hilton Head.
    I've got a stable job at Bi-Lo. And as for social services, that's what I've been debating on whether or not to do. I don't want to completely ruin our relationship. Also, they have enough dirt on me that they could make me look pretty bad. I'm still on the fence about that.

9. photoguy93

There are a lot of things to consider here. I am not sure what your area is like in particular, but I know that it's hard to do a lot when you are young. You might be able to find a place to stay, but people might not rent to someone of your age group. You don't want to get stuck paying extra because it was the only option.

As I've told friends who have moved out, think about all the expenses you will have - food, utilities (possibly), getting to work, insurance, phone, etc. It's a lot to be out on your own. Oh, healthcare, too!! Can't forget that one.

I would personally think long and hard as to rather or not this is something you absolutely want to do. I think that if you decide that you want to stay back and continue your life where you are, the pieces will fall into place.

10. Synthetik

Damn, I'm sorry, I don't know anything about that area. I'm only familiar with Charleston and right around it.