1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RSS feed stalling?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by joeyconnick, Apr 23, 2007.

1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed (probably a long shot) that the http://emptyclosets.com/forum/external.php?type=rss2 RSS feed seems to be... stalling, for lack of a better word.

By "stalling" I mean that if I restart Thunderbird (my email and RSS app) then it will find new RSS entries for the feed but if I simply ask Thunderbird to check for new RSS entries for Empty Closets, it doesn't find any, even if there should be new ones. (There should be an entry for every new thread and of course there are usually several new threads each day.)

I've only noticed this issue really recently and I'm not sure if the it's a change to the RSS feed or a change to the way Thunderbird works.

2. Micah

Well the site developers have been away for the past week or so, so I doubt there have been any changes to Empty Closets RSS feed. Check out Thunderbird and see what you find.

There's still the chance it's on Empty Closets' side, but it shouldn't be a recent problem if it is.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All my other feeds are working fine, so I tend to lean towards EC. It could have happened as long ago as a week... I'll check one more thing.

4. Micah

Awesome, let us know within the next day. Sitedeveloper will be working on bugs in the next few days.

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, I can confirm that my other feeds work just as before, but my EC one does not. To get it to show new entries, I have to restart my feed reader (in this case, Thunderbird). I'm certain I didn't use to need to do that. So if you can have someone have a look, that would be great.

6. sitedeveloper

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Nothing has changed; but, will look into it.

Things you should know:
    - feeds are cached every hour
    - feeds are displayed according to permissions

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there,

Thanks... I knew those two points (looked at the underlying XML re: the caching).

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I understand that the new 3.6.6 release of vBulletin fixes some RSS issues. I have raised a support ticket asking for EC to be updated to this release. I don't know when it will be done though.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks... I really appreciate this not getting ignored. Hopefully whenever we get the 3.6.6 update, it'll sort things out.