1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roseanne

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's good, but not the original.

2. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Roseanne got cancelled because Roseanne Barr made a racist tweet.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bye Fuhrer-licia!

5. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We were talking about this at work today. I'll leave that there, lol.

Listen, I'm old, so I liked the original in the 80s and 90s and still watch those re-runs sometimes...but I didn't like the new version. I just thought they were trying too hard and that they'd gotten away from the types of storylines that would appeal to their original fans. It might have been fine as a different show with a different cast on the channel Freeform, which is a channel replete with shows that try too hard, but it wasn't "Roseanne." And by "try too hard," I mean they throw too many different sociopolitical issues into the mix. It's great to have some, but you don't have to try to take on dang-near everything.

Glad it's canceled.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's good that they're letting the show continue so people don't have to lose their jobs over a tweet.

Honestly I think it's pretty stupid people pay so much attention to random tweets or a celebrity saying one bad thing. Like, come on, you're going to cancel an entire T.V. show because someone tweeted one bad sentence, it's ridiculous.

Everyone has said racist/homophobic/prejudiced/rude things. I don't care how much people deny it, everyone has done it at some point. So why is it treated as such a shocking thing every time a celebrity says something like that? As a kid every time the holocaust was discussed in history classes people would make holocaust jokes for like a week afterwards. Are all those kids racist against Jews for life now? No...they were random bad-taste jokes. It's really no different for celebrities but people get all offended and act like they haven't done the same thing themselves 10 times.

8. HDIGH

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "It's pronounced boo-KAY!" lol
    The actor who played Richard was in a later show. Don't remember the name but it was kind of an "Odd Couple" type premise. My theory has always been that Richard finally snapped, buried Hyacinth beneath the garage, changed his name, and started a new life in the other series. And seriously, who could blame him? Lol

9. D Artagnan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Destin Out of every comment and/or article I've read....no one put it as well as you have. I am a Roseanne fan and have watched the reruns almost my entire life. I still don't know what to think of the whole situation. :frowning2:

10. Bournville98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Except it's not about "bad-taste jokes", "random tweets" or "bad sentences". It's literally making a joke about a minority group's existence. I'm black and autistic. If someone makes racist jokes about black people and makes ableist jokes about autistic people, you bet I'm going to feel unsafe around that person. Making those kinds of jokes is a conscious choice, not some random Freudian slip.

It's always funny that when someone's fav gets called out on their BS, people resort to "everyone's a little bit racist", as if that's an excuse.

How you're reacting is exactly the same as how other privileged people react when famous people are called out on their problematic BS. And don't you think that at least SOME of the people "getting offended" about Roseanne Barr's racism have grown out of their problematic behaviours?

11. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She isn't my favorite. I actually don't like her and don't like her shows either. I just think it's ridiculous for people to be judged for a handful of things they said just because they're famous. Like, with Trump, yea with thousands of bad tweets he deserves it. That's not the case with her.

Then you know how like half of the jokes the black community makes are racist insults towards white people or other black people, but yet that's considered totally fine by society. A white person says one about a black person? Oh now they're an evil racist for life. By the way I have an adopted black autistic brother so I do totally understand what you mean, but I still think it's ridiculous for people to get offended by things just because it's their group being targeted that day. Either be offended at all of them or none of them, anything else is super hypocritical.

Yeah I'm sure some have grown out of it, but that doesn't change that they used to say the same type of things so for them to get all white-knighty and morally superior over it when they used to do the same stuff is dumb. If they want to get mad over a joke that's fine, but to try totally destroying someone's career (along with the careers of everyone who works for them) just so they can feel like they're a morally superior person is wrong.

12. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing is though, ABC/Disney had every right to cancel her show. As an employee of ABC, she represents the company and that was essentially the straw that broke the camel’s back. She’s said other stuff in the past but, let’s be honest, she’s insignificant. Most people don’t pay attention to her anymore. I’ve looked at her Twitter feed, and there’s some ugly stuff.

Most companies have the right to fire employees based on negative image brought to the company. All three of my jobs (two on campus, one elsewhere) have social media policies. Essentially if I talk bad about my elsewhere job openly on social media, I can get fired. On campus, I’m representing my university and I have bad shit on my social media they can fire me or request it be taken down and apologize. As a future teacher, I here all the time of simple things posted on their social media, a parent seeing it and getting offended, and the teacher getting reprimanded or fired. Roseanne wasn’t a random employee, she was at the forefront. Anything bad she said reflected badly on ABC/Disney.

But most of all, its both what you say and where you say it. When I’m with some of my coworkers and we’re playing Cards Against Humanity we’ll make Holocaust jokes and abortion jokes and honestly morally terrible jokes. And we know that. But we know who we’re with. I would NEVER take one of those jokes and put it all over my social media where anyone can see. The minute something gets put in writing or on social media, it becomes available to public scrutiny and reprimand.

What she said has nothing to do with how famous she is, man. It just got the attention that it did because she is. What she said was terrible regardless of who said it, the only reason threre’s press is because she’s famous. If a random person from a small town in Montana said that it’d still be terrible, we just probably wouldn’t hear about it because they would have no strong online presence.

13. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those are good points. You're right that it being public or private does make a difference. I didn't know teachers social media got scrutinized that much either. I've never used social media much personally so thankfully there's nothing to scrutinize in my case, but I'd be really upset if someone thought I was a terrible person just because they found something I posted years ago on some social media page and got the wrong impression because of it. She's a comedian and it's pretty hard to do comedy without insulting people eventually, so I guess it just felt kinda harsh to me how bad the backlash against her has been because of it. The company does have the right to fire her for damaging their brand reputation for sure though.

14. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah treatment against teachers isn’t pretty. During summer orientation I have a little part where I talk for College of Education but I stay the whole time when the dean talks and one of the key points is “Clean up your social media.” It’s terrible how bad it is.

And I do get that she is a comedian, there’s just a big difference between a politically charged Twitter account and the stage. If she was doing an act and wanted to mock Democrats, cool. I mean, would some of it be offensive? Sure, but it’s a comedy act. I do believe in some leniency when performing an act with politics, even if it’s offensive. I mean, look at Michelle Wolf at the White House Correspondent’s Dinner. She just kept going after people, but it was an act. Say Roseanne said what she tweeted in an act along with other stuff, keeping comedy in the forefront. Would it have been terrible? Yes, but it would’ve been somewhat different.

However, I won’t justify racist statements. I do believe what she said was wrong and I don’t feel bad that her show was cancelled.

15. anniesims

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always had a crush on Darlene, was curious about the reboot and watched a few episodes.

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    #37 Andrew99, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s a sad sign of the times that she was fired due to a tweet... for multiple reasons.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people