1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Religious Liberty Guidelines Article

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AlexJames, Oct 6, 2017.

1. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/religious...rimination-big-winner-justice-departments-new

I normally don't give a damn about politics and have purposefully ignored all of Trumps appointments because i don't want to get down about it all. I was happy because Obama made it so i can marry whoever the hell i want. But shit like this is really disheartening. I don't follow politics though, does anyone have verification on this? Like is the article talking truth or what? Sometimes i think i'm gonna have to just up and move to Canada or something which is sad cause as a kid i loved my country. I shouldn't have to think about the idea that maybe i'll need to move someday. But if this is what its turning into...if one president can completely overturn any progress we ever make, be it Trump or someone twenty years in the future...am I doomed to just be a minority that half the country probably hates ignorantly?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh, he didn't. The Supreme Court did. Realistically, Obama just gave lip-service to the LGBTQ community, as we are now seeing very clearly. Instead of even trying to work with Congress to write and implement laws that ensure LGBTQ rights, he hand-waived the whole thing and wrote Executive Orders, which could be (and mostly have been, overturned by his predecessor). He didn't do the LGBTQ community any real favors in the longrun. He just made emphermeral hand-waving efforts that couldn't even last beyond his own term in office. He was purely a politician.

Beyond all of that, the overall feelings, expectations and discriminatory practices of most Americans have been moderated to a significant degree over the last few decades. So, there is MUCH more acceptance for those of us in the LGBTQ community across the US, in general, that there ever was even when I grew up in the '80's.

For those of us in the LGBTQ community, I would argue that the focus should be on forward progress until we reach the point that our sexuality and/or gender identity is really a non-issue in society. After all, even based on the assinine "Religious Liberty Guidelines," as currently stated, what does our sexuality or gender identity have to do with our ability to perform a specific job? Even to the slightest degree? I'm sure that if there are still some homophobic fanatics (of whatever ilk) out there who might try to 'justify' firing an LGBTQ person, they will ultimately have to do so based on that person's competence record in their job, and, not, certainly on the 'convenience' of the idea that that person's sexuality or gender identity might offend the employer's radical beliefs. Such cases may, in fact, be destined to appear before the Supreme Court. I hope not because I hope that we will find that a conservative Congress and Presidency is open, ultimately, to extending basic rights to all LGBTQ people, which would provide and example to the rest of the world of truly understanding baseline for human rights in every country throughout the world.

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Do you honestly think a Republican controlled Congress would have worked with Obama to protect LGBTQ persons? An Executive Order was the only option because the Republicans would not have had it.

Obama is the only President who has worked with and supported the LBGTQ community in the U.S. If anything your anger should be directed at Trump and his administration who is trying to undo all the protections Obama put in place for gay people.

I think you need to educate yourself before making such asinine remarks.

4. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada, and I am most thankful I do not live in the US.

As a Humanist, I strongly believe in freedom of religion, but most importantly I believe in freedom from religion. Religion is a choice, whereas being gay or lesbian is not. The right to freedom of religion should not trump (!) the human rights of all other groups who are disadvantaged.

Trump is also allowing more employers to opt out of no-cost birth control to women by claiming religious or moral objections. This is nothing more than a conservative, hate-fuelled agenda targeting women and the LGBT communities, masquarading under the guise of protecting religious rights. The likelihood is that these revisions will see there way through the courts where they will hopefully be struck down.

#4 StarRunner, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017