1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Reds Announcer Is Suspended After Using Homophobic Slur on Air

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, Aug 24, 2020.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, this is a tough one.

There are plenty of “offensive slurs” I’m sure many people could have forgiven him for, but calling a place a “fag capital” is surely pushing it. That’s not something a person otherwise respectful of others would accidentally blur out.

At the same time, though, it might have been taken completely out of context. And in any case, he probably didn’t try to insult anyone on purpose, especially considering he knew his employers are LGBT friendly.

I can’t say people are overreacting, because I’m sure this affects different people in different ways, but personally, I don’t take these kinds of things to heart and I could absolutely forgive him for what he said. I think the backlash he’s received and (the possible threat of) losing his job are punishment enough. We all make mistakes, but for some people the punishment is harder than for others.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, zero sympathy. I don't see how a "fag capitol" has anything to do with a sports game, and most people have known that's a derogatory term for several years now. Its not like it's just very recently become public knowledge that it's a derogatory term.

"Mr. Brennaman said he wanted to apologize to the “people who sign my paycheck,” to the Reds, to Fox Sports Ohio and to “anybody that I’ve offended here tonight.”"
    Of course he brings up money. He isn't sorry for anything besides possibility losing his job.

#3 HM03, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  4. Silver101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think he was sincere when he was apologizing about it.
    "Mr. Brennaman said he wanted to apologize to the 'people who sign my paycheck,' to the Reds, to Fox Sports Ohio and to 'anybody that I've offended here tonight.' "
    He obviously only cares about losing his job. He just wants it to seem like it was an innocent mistake. No. You don't randomly blurt out derogatory terms on accident. It doesn't have anything to do with the game. there isn't any excuse for that.