1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reddit is abusive in an unacceptable way also in the lesbian section.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by StarChaser, Feb 11, 2019.

1. StarChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember I asked in a web community how could I watch The L Word in streaming online (since Netflix doesnt offer this tv show in my country).

I got a very rude response like: "Theres Netflix, you dumb. Where the fuck do you live?".
    I said "It is none of your business where I live".

Guess how she decided to reply.
    "You are a spoiled brat whose probably not out yet and doesmt want mommy and daddy to find out you watch the l word. If you are not a 16 year old closeted little spoiled punk, then your attitude certainly is. Byeeee"

-.-

I tried to stay calm, and said: "Ah, trolls everywhere. Patience is fundamental in these cases".

This screenshot shows the final of this "constructive and healthy conversation".

I reported this to moderators and did nothing. This troll got also an upvote.

Do you think this is normal? Should a site like that be shut down if all these mad people can say whatever they want without being punished?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do think that many sites need better moderation and more strict rules to deal with this type of situation.

Unfortunately, as this isn't the case for now, we need to do our best to deal with this type of person.

I think you did well by reporting that person. Even if the moderators decide to do nothing, at the very least it wasn't unnoticed. Maybe if people reported more frequently stuff like this, the mods would be pressed to take action. I've seen it happening in a few communities, like when they decide to change the rules because X or Y is happening frequently. So you did the right thing here.

However, I do think it is best to ignore (often using the "ignore" function, when it is available) this type of person, instead of arguing. I'm not blaming you for this, don't get me wrong - the attitude from the troll is unacceptable. However, the old cliché phrase "don't feed the trolls" is true. If you simply ignored his very first statement, instead of answering, it would still hurt a bit, because his attitude was toxic, but you wouldn't waste your time trying to argue with that person. And, unfortunately, even if you have the best arguments in the world, it is still not worth to discuss in cases like this, because that person is not interested in seeing reason at that moment - he/she is simply being toxic. Reporting, ignoring and focusing on the constructive answers is better for you, because you wouldn't directly interact with a toxic person.

This is just my two cents about this. What do you think?

3. StarChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you, but unfortunately I have a hard time not to react against trolls because I remember the bullies that attacked me, and I was forced to attack as well in order not to look weak to them. :frowning2: It is an automatic behaviour from me, but I know I should become colder towards these worthless trash of people.

4. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Based on my experience with reddit, 1) poster was completely out of line, 2) you were in the right to report that, 3) usually moderators are quite strict about such things. Well, I guess every subreddit is different. I hope you got a more helpful answer to your question. (I don't know the answer.)

And, just on a side note, as a native English-speaker I always admire and appreciate other peoples' work at learning my language. Now, naturally we expect Europeans to be more cosmopolitan than, for example, Iowans, but thank you anyway. Now, when I'm in France and try to practice my French, they reply in English, because they want to practice too.

5. StarChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no intention of being sarcastic, I genuinely dont understand what you mean. What does it make you think I am not cosmopolitan?

6. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was unclear. I mean, in a somewhat joking manner, that you live up to our expectations and *are* more worldly than some Americans who live in the isolated middle of the continent. I'm sorry that I conveyed a different impression. Please continue with your literate and thoughtful posts.

7. StarChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, it does make sense. Sadly, I had a toxic friendship with an american person who is very narrow minded and childish in fact, but despite this was always used to blabber about how I should change my behaviour in order to be "wise" in life...

8. grayman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No offense, but are you new to the internet? I'm not justifying this trolls behavior or saying that it's in any way acceptable in any world I live in, but I think you'd be well-served to understand that this type of behavior is rampant on the internet. That being said, learning to ignore people like this is probably going to be your best bet. This wasn't some rational discourse on a subject that needed analysis and discussion; this was some troll trying to get a rise out of you.

Ironically enough, their response paints them as the sheltered one. Trolls are always so completely unaware of their own actions and apparently thoughts.

So yea, learning to ignore these people is the best bet. I've never heard of this series so I can't help you out with where you could watch it at. It's not the type of show I'd watch lol, despite being bisexual I'm still very much a guy's guy. So yea, I watch stuff like Breaking Bad and The Punisher haha good luck finding your show!

9. StarChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My disappointing is not the act of being trolled, but the fact that troll was a lesbian on a subreddit that was created in order to support people! Thats why I am here now. I dont accept moderators that allow such things to happen, especially in a support subreddit where people write and read to give help and receive help.

10. StarChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you ^^ But I like to watch badass stuff too! Not yet tv series, in general they are movies :slight_smile:

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand what you mean! It is indeed easier said than done on the "do not feed the trolls thing". I have found myself answering them many times, because some things are just so absurd that we feel the compulsion of "saying the truth in their face". So rest assured you are not alone in answering them!

Still, to ignore them is a skill we must work on ourselves. Fortunately, on the internet, we have tools (like the ignore function on many sites) to help us with that, so it is much harder to them to keep pestering us once we ignore them (and, if they keep trying to find us, then it is something that needs to be taken to the authorities, but that's another conversation that goes beyond the average internet troll).

Answering them won't accomplish anything for you, besides making you even angrier because they will keep answering with stupid and aggressive comments. Those people won't learn how to behave through a response in their comments. So, you need to think about yourself and do your best to avoid that situation. Report and ignore.

Again, I know it is easier said than done. But practicing it is important. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to worry about it, because people would behave appropriately. But, unfortunately, comments like the ones you mentioned aren't uncommon, and we need to ignore them, for our own sake.

Well, first, she could be an homophobe trolling people around the subreddit. Or, if she was indeed a lesbian... remember that LGBT+ people are just like everyone else. Unfortunately, that means there is also shitty people in the community too.

12. StarChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Th
    Thank you so much for your support :bow:

13. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  14. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OMG, that must have tested your patience. Strange to say (no not really) I have known such Americans too!

15. grayman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I totally get where you're coming from. People should be more respectful, especially if they're part of the LGBT community and understand what it's like to deal with certain issues. However, I find myself often getting into trouble in thinking about what people "should" do or what I "could" do. Reality is often very different from what we feel "should, could or would" happen and when we let our expectations rule our feelings, we're screwed.

All I'm suggesting is try not to let it get to you and try to ignore people like this. Unless you have some way of affecting change on Reddit as a whole, probably best to just let it go.

I hear you though, it's a shitty response from someone who SHOULD understand where you're coming from. It sucks.

Basically, we all have to manage our minds and our emotions, REGARDLESS of how much of an asshole someone can be toward us! The best bet is to have control over your own mind so you can brush people off like that and not worry about it. It sucks, but that's really the most you can do; control yourself and the way you react to things.

16. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand how EC's strict moderation can be annoying, but after my experiences elsewhere, I've come to really appreciate the moderation here.

While I never got a response as rude as yours, all the LGBT areas of Reddit I explored either had guys with super fragile masculinity (to the point where they'd be pretty harsh if you were comfortable with non-hyper masculine things) or ready to bang asap. I honestly thing it's just how the majority of subreddits work.

17. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It's the internet. Not everyone plays nice. It's probs just an old 70 year old hag with nothing better to do than bad mouth today's youth

18. StarChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wise words. I completely agree with you

#18 StarChaser, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  19. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reddit and 4chan are pretty much the easiest places on the internet to troll. The quality of a reddit sub is entirely dependent on who the moderator is, and many moderators are trolls themselves so don't actually enforce any of the sub rules.

The fact that it's so easy to create throwaway accounts on Reddit gives people extra trolling courage too. Even if their account gets banned they can make a new one in 5 minutes and keep going.

Subs are almost never shut down no matter how bad they get, it took literally years of complaints to get the "watch people die" sub quarantined (thousands of videos of people actually dying in horrific ways), and then there was the whole "red pill" and "incel" sub controversies where pretty much all they did was insult women and support violence against women and it still took years for them to finally get shut down. Reddit isn't the greatest at being a polite and troll-free community.

20. grayman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That being said, you're not wrong for feeling offended! We are, as humans, allowed to expect basic respect and consideration from people to an extent, but in the specific situation of being on an online internet forum, I think we have to learn to let this expectation go and expect the unexpected, in a sense. I'd argue a vast majority of people trolling on the internet are sheltered little suburban kids who've never even met a gay person or seen someone do drugs or witnessed a traumatic event, etc. Not that any of those things I listed are related or in any way required for one to have a realistic or cultured view of the world, but the point is, usually trolls are the type of people who haven't seen much. They're not interesting people and don't have interesting life experiences and don't really understand about anyone who's different from them. Therefore, they tend to make fun of everything, because they don't really have anything else. So making fun of everything helps them dismiss what they don't understand, which is most things.