1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for a new TV

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tightrope, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to get a new TV for the living room.

Currently, I do not have a smart TV. I'd like to get a smart TV. I am considering a TV with a 32" to 40" screen and keeping the price low. I don't watch TV all that much.

I was looking at Samsung for the smart TV and the reviews weren't as good as I thought they'd be. They said that it took a long time for it to start, or boot up, and that the icons for the apps were not movable or easy to work with. It was a little disheartening. I thought their stuff is supposed to be very good.

Do you know anything about this and is it also an issue with most smart TVs? I'm also under the understanding that if it's in another room, the TV will receive a wi-fi signal from the modem that your telecom provider has made available to you. Is that right? Any ideas on other brands that have this type of TV and that are worth looking at and reasonably priced?

Thanks, and happy holidays.

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No experience with smart TVs. Indeed, the only TV I've ever had is the old fashioned CRT (tube) type...

One concern I have with smart TVs, though, is privacy. A few years ago, there were articles talking about how smart TVs might be spying on one. I think I pretty much concluded that there was no way I'd be buying a smart TV. Although there are other issues that keep me from considering the smart TV idea--the cost, as well as the fact that I don't watch regular TV anymore (all I do is watch library DVDs these days). In any case, I think it would be worth paying close attention to the privacy policies of a TV company.

#2 BMC77, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  3. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know much about having apps that are moveable and stuff, but I have a 60" Vizio in my living room and my kids and I use that a lot for watching YouTube, Netflix, Amazon video, etc....
    I also have a 32" Samsung in my oldest daughter's room and I've not heard any complaints from her about it.
    Honestly it amazes me how cheap these TV's are getting now.
    I still remember paying $600 for a Sony Trinitron Wega like 12 yrs ago and that thing was a total beast.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very much and Happy New Year.

Yes, BMC77, I was also concerned about the privacy aspect of it. That hit that nail on the head. Even if the stuff I'd watch is pretty routine, that would still bother me some. But then I'm not concerned with my web surfing. Maybe that doesn't make sense. But if anyone knows about the negative privacy aspects of a smart TV, please chime in.

Angeluscrzy, I was thinking the same thing. At a discount store, a Samsung 32" TV is less than $250. The difference between smart and not smart is now about $50, I was told.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Happy New Year, Tightrope!

I'm not up on all the privacy issues, and, of course, sometimes there can be groundless paranoia. One issue I recall hearing about was about viewing habits being tracked. But I've also heard concerns about the microphones in some TVs eavesdropping on one's conversations.

I'm personally not horribly paranoid about privacy--at least I don't think I am. I don't mind using the Fred Meyer Rewards card, even though I know they are tracking my buying habits, which aren't in the least bit interesting or compromising. So I'm not sure I'd care if a TV maker knew that I tuned into a specific program. But I'm not wild about the threat of the TV listening into my conversations, as dull as they may be.

Past privacy, though, I read one piece that suggest that at least some smart TV features are better implemented in other ways (boxes that connect to a TV to enable streaming video). Computer processing power is apparently limited in TVs, and the article suggested that it's not likely there will be long term software support. The smart TV of today may not work with the needs in 5 years. Although, of course, it can be argued that one can at that point just use the TV as a standard TV, and add a box that addresses the needs of that future era.

#5 BMC77, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  6. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The Samsungs are probably the best for quality and warantee if you need something like that. Don't get the 4k unless you're a gamer or obsessed with how things look. Sony's got some good options in the cheap side. Just check to make sure they have image burn in reduction as an option cos it would get annoying seeing a shadow of something like a tv guide forever.

7. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you are tight on money, Vizio wins hands down. Very nice 4k TVs for around $600. Otherwise, LG makes fantastic top of the line models, ESPECIALLY the stunning curved OLED televisions.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for all the suggestions. Thank you!

9. fvpa01

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I have a Samsung (something or other), 60”, not the 4K. It’s maybe a year old. The picture is just fine but I HATE the interface and remote. Like hate hate.

SmartHub, the interface thing is frustrating as all hell. You can’t just sit down and think you’ll watch TV... it needs time to “prepare” itself whatever that means. For anywhere between one and up to four minutes depending on its mood, it sits. And if you try to go SmartHub into Hulu or Netflix, YouTube... anything, it says “Preparing the TV, try again later”. Later? What the hell is that supposed to mean?! And of course if you let it prepare too long and decide to go make yourself a sandwich or something... it thinks you’ve left and shuts itself off. Irritating. Samsung says there’s nothing wrong with it. So I take that to mean it works as it should... it’s just stupid.

My other gripe is the remote. It’s been the hardest I’ve had to learn by feel and not accidentally exit out or return out of what you’re doing. When you do that you start over and wait for it to load SmartHub.

Also it only lets you ‘stretch’ or ‘fit’ the picture when it’s in the mood. Like if you’re watching an old 4:3 aspect tv show and want it to fill the screen, it doesn’t always let me make it fit the whole 16:9 screen and get rid of the black bars. This is the only tv of the three in the house, and others I’ve had that just doesn’t let you adjust the size of a 4:3 willy nilly as you please.

I consider myself an intelligent man, good with technology... but for some reason this tv just gets the best of me. But that said I must be in the minority because they’re still making them as-is as far as I know.

Good luck.