1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really want to come out to dad, but terrified

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by j3lliec00p, May 9, 2015.

1. j3lliec00p

Hey there. So I've been learning more and more about gender identities. I think I identify as genderfluid. I really want to tell my dad, were close and all, but I feel like it'll just be really awkward and he'll think someone put this in my head or I'm confused...But I've been like this since I was a kid...
    It's really been eating me up...I cut my hair super short like a guys and I know he doesn't like it. When I first cut it he said, "you're so beautiful no one will mistake you for a boy."
    Just his morning he said "ladies first" to me and it just made me want to rip my stomach out...(I was even dressed in a beanie, t-shirt, and dude shorts. It's like he did it on purpose!) I can't stand it when he introduces me to his co-workers and says, "my daughter" and their face goes from surprise to "wtf I don't want to have to deal with this."
    It makes me feel like he's embarrassed of me...:bang:

It sucks because I feel like I don't even look like a guy anyway, I'm constantly having my masculinity crushed, and I have hardly any clothes to make me feel right...I would feel a lot more confident with myself if I knew my dad had my back. I feel like I'll just be more of a disappointment to him than I already am...
    I talked to my councilor about it and she says I should just tell my dad how I am. I don't think she really gets it...
    I don't think my dad could accept calling me he/son sometimes...especially in public...it really hurts...
    Sorry this is kind of long...I've kept this stuff bottled up for a while now and I don't have anyone to talk about it to but my councilor.

#1 j3lliec00p, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You explained it pretty well here. I've found that explaining how you feel rather than just saying it straight out makes it go smoother. Just explain how much I bothers you and he'll hopefully try to understand. Be ready to answer lots of questions though.