1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really awkward in new relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Meatballs, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We're both 16 and this is our first 'real' relationship, so I understand things are going to be awkward at first, but it's been well over a month. I don't know how she feels, but we see each other all the time (outside school as well), and I still don't feel comfortable being too close. Because I don't want to make people uncomfortable (or make them think I like them), I very rarely hug or sit too near my friends. Touching people is so strange for me!

We've held hands many times and kissed once. It was a very quick peck, but kissing is new to both of us, and we didn't want to go too full on. This was over 2 weeks ago, and we've seen each other heaps since. We also struggle to think of conversation sometimes, and end up staring into space. I really like her and don't want to screw things up! How can I get over this awkward stage?

2. confusedbubble

Sounds like you are struggling to get past the friendship stage, maybe you could pack a pick nick up and go for a walk with her somewhere away from people you could hold hands talk, cuddle her and maybe even kiss her again. You both need to talk about where the relationship is going, you should be able to cuddle or kiss her and not feel uncomfortable.
    Its hard being in a first relationship but you need some time away from people where you can figure what each of you needs

3. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thankyou, I agree completely about the friendship stage. We've been friends for a long time before and even though we both have feelings for each other, it's scary to make the first move.

4. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have to make little moves each date to break down that barrier and become more comfortable with each other. Try to do activities that put the two of you close together....as an example....wrestling. :slight_smile: Good luck guys.

5. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am pretty much in the same boat right now. Being the anxious and emotionally guarded person that I am, I have been putting a lot of effort into relaxing and living in the moment on dates. Kissing is harder to figure out how to do than I thought it would be.

#5 Awesome, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  6. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yess THIS. She rejected my attempt at kissing twice, so I feel really, idk, weird about that? Sort of guilty? But yeah, I'm a really anxious person in general, so that makes even talking hard.