1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realizing that I have inner turmoil and it's destroying me

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by jjusa, Feb 4, 2021.

1. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think have two extremely conflicting core beliefs about who I am. Belief #1: I could be attracted to the same sex and can't stop thinking about this one girl on a 24/7 basis (I have never thought about a guy for this long and this intensely). I get intense emotions about her. I got upset when she got a girlfriend. I still think about her 2 years later. Belief #2: all of my experiences with the same sex have been negative OR at their best, mediocre. I cannot open emotionally or be vulnerable with another girl. Conversations are lacking in depth and authenticity. I can only be more authentic with a guy >>> conclusion: I must not want a relationship with the same sex.

Another inner conflict I have is that I can only picture a relationship with someone of the opposite sex, but I am not physically attracted to him; and I can only picture a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex, yet I don't want a romantic relationship with her. I am so afraid because I don't know who I am supposed to be going for and I worry about have a cross-oriented sexuality. BUT if I have a cross-oriented sexuality why is this causing so much distress for me? If it's who I am, I should not even care or panic about it. That's the inner conflict. And it's destroying me mentally and emotionally.

#1 jjusa, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    AlanL likes this.
  2. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ambivalence! That is the word I am looking for. I feel ambivalent about my sexual orientation and can't seem to resolve it.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You should probably pursue therapy. You are obsessing over a relationship that never happened years ago and you are having issues connecting to anyone now. These are the types of issues that cannot be worked on simply. A therapist can help you more deeply delve into your issues.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  4. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am planning on doing therapy. I have my 1st appointment next week. However, I've been through many other therapists and they can't seem to help me out. Maybe I just can't connect to anyone like you said, and it's not solvable.

5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It must be solvable, it may take time and you may have to work hard though.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DO you think that you feel that emotional connections with women are not authentic because you feel like you can be open and honest and vulnerable with them?

7. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've worked hard for 3 years to have things figured out and solved, but nothing has come out of it. I’m just tired at this point. :confused:

I don’t think I can be open and honest and vulnerable with them. After years of trying to do just that, I don’t think that’s going to change. I need to move on. :disappointed:

8. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your inability to be open and vulnerable with other women: Did something happen (or was there a reoccurrence of a specific issue) with regards to your relationships with other girls? I don't mean physical or romantic relationships per se, but friendships as well. Like did you have a hard time being friends with other girls, ever get picked on by them, that sort of thing?

I only ask because I went through similar. Not that boys were necessarily any better at times, but it did impact how I felt for a long time. I'm just given to wonder if it's something similar with you.

#8 BiGemini87, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  9. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was bullied- humiliated and victimized - on the regular by other girls for years. Boys bullied me too (verbal and sometimes physical harassment) but the girls were a lot worse. Pure mean.

Girls also would make homophobic remarks at me even though I didn’t say or did anything about my sexuality. I always felt uncomfortable being around the “mean girls,” and one of my bullies would harass me if I looked at another girl for “too long” by accident.

I also had trouble forming meaningful friendships with girls. We either didn’t click as friends or we did click as friends at first but there was a lot of emotional abuse and manipulation. It’s taken it’s toll on me and I’ve stopped all contact with those people. That’s why I’ve stopped making female friends. I only have one friend now (she’s female) but I also have a difficult time opening up to her emotionally. There were few times that I did, but we’ve been friends for 8 years and it took that long for me to be somewhat open. I am 28 now.

I’m not sure if any of what I said resonated with you, but I totally forgot that I was bullied. I mean, who hasn’t been bullied? How could it still impact me 10 years later? I feel embarrassed that I might not have gotten over this...

BiGemini87 likes this.
  10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You shouldn't feel embarrassed at all, bullying is a horrible thing and it cuts really deep, even if at the time it feels like you have dealt with it ok. Often the mind blocks out things which it doesnt feel it can deal with in order to protect itself which is quite possibly what is happening with you. It is probably not that you are completely incapable of forming emotional connections with women more that you brain prevents you doing so because it feels like it will only end up with you getting hurt and it doesnt want that to happen.

jjusa and BiGemini87 like this.
  11. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm inclined to think your early/continued negative interactions with other girls has certainly played its part. Don't feel embarrassed. Like @silverhalo said, these things can cut deeper than we realize, impacting us long after we think we've moved past them. Because these things happen at such critical times in our lives, the impact is sometimes worse for it.

I'm not saying for certain this is the reason, but I do think it might be why you have trouble fully trusting in other women now. If not in whole, at least in part.

But this is just my two cents stemming from my own experiences, so please take it with a grain of salt. ^^;

silverhalo and jjusa like this.
  12. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. Yes, at the time I thought I was strong because I was able to deal with it at the time. What you said is very on point. My brain is preventing me from forming any emotional connection to a woman. The thing is though bullying hasn't stopped other women from being with other women. I see it everywhere. Maybe I'm just not attracted AND I feel emotionally disconnected due to the bullying..

I'm at a point in my life where I am no long interacting with people, not just bc of covid, but bc I am out of school and in the real world and now I have a choice in what I do with my life. I'm inclined to not work on this issue. Do I want to fix my self esteem issues due to bullying? Yes. Do I want to fix my issue of emotionally connecting with other women? Not really. Because I don't have to and I don't need to. Women are not showing up randomly in my life anymore. All of my associations with women have been negative or mediocre. I live in a very heteronormative neighborhood/environment, and now I have control over who I meet and where I go to meet people. The problem is that I worry I still have physical attraction... :confused:

Thank you. Bullying definitely impacts self-esteem, for anybody that has gone through this experience. I think it's true that this is a big part as to why I don't trust other women. However I don't want to assume that the situation is that I am romantically interested in other women but I'm too mistrusting of them because they hurt me blah blah blah. I haven't even been in a relationship with another woman so who am I to really know if I want to be with them.

I just want the physical attraction and the fantasies to go away because they serve no purpose to me other then causing me so much confusion. I want to learn how to treat these things as nothing and that they are just thoughts, but every time they come up, there's so much emotional turmoil :confounded:

#12 jjusa, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  13. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anyway... thank you all for patiently dealing with the crap shooting out of my mouth. You are probably thinking wtf this girl is weird and has no self awareness hahahahah. :grin:

14. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. I can totally see how the experiences you have had and the path you have trodden has led you to where you are. Of course I cannot know exactly how that feels but I do know what it is like to have your mind try and protect you but also block you at the same time.

I can definitely relate to the fact that once you leave education life doesnt automatically throw up opportunities to make friends anymore. You have to actively seek these opportunities and it can definitely be hard work.
    Just because someone else who also suffered bullying hasn't reacted the same way it doesnt change what you are experiencing or make it more or less right or wrong. Everyone is different and reacts in different ways.
    Maybe you are not attracted and also cannot connect because of the bullying. I'm not convinced that you truely believe that though. I mean if that really were the case would you still be questioning it?

You say you dont want to fix the emotional connection to women issue because you dont need to and of course that is true you dont have to but do you not feel that ultimately it will be you that will miss out if you dont and I dont even just mean in terms of sexuality and relationships. Even if for the moment we park your sexuality to one side I think friendships with both sexes in life can be extremely fulfilling and rewarding. I know previously you mentioned your one female long term friendship where you have found it really difficult but have managed to open up a little. What if with some work on you bullying issues could make this even better and easier, is that not something you would want?
    I totally get your reluctance, it wont be a breeze or an overnight thing but I think it could be totally life changing.

jjusa and BiGemini87 like this.
  15. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe not. I'm just trying to make sense of my situation in the best way that I know how with the tools that I have. I have no experience with sexuality and relationships. It's all foreign to me :disappointed:

Thanks for understanding. It's not just lack of emotional connection to women, but the fact that people are just downright cruel and selfish. Most of my friendships have been that way and people who I thought were my friends ended up not caring about me at all. I find being alone way more fulfilling, but I am also so used to it that I refuse to bring myself out of it. I agree that friendships probably are fulfilling and rewarding for other people. I have so much anger and hurt inside of me due to all of my lackluster and mediocre relationships that it's hard for me to believe it's even possible for me. I feel like I can only rely on myself for friendship and emotional intimacy.

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry that first point wasn't intended to be insulting, just trying to perhaps get you to look at things in a different way.

There are cruel and selfish people in the world of course but I wouldnt say it is the majority of people. Of course you can be unlucky and perhaps previous experience leads you to act or portray yourself in a way that is more likely to encourage the kind o people that you actually want to avoid.
    There is certainly nothing wrong with being self sufficient and happy just with yourself, in fact I think everyone needs to be happy with themselves to truely be happy in a relationship. I totally think it is possible for you to move forward from where you are and be able to have these relationships but you have to want to do it.

You shouldn't be embarrassed about having no experience with relationships and sexuality there is nothing wrong with that. I didnt even go on a date until I was in my mid 20's and ive seen people on EC much later than that. We all do things in our own time and if someone has an issue with that then they arent worthy of your time anyway.

jjusa and out2019 like this.
  17. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No worries, I didn't see it as insulting at all. I have limited understanding of life and sexuality so questioning has put me in a very frustrating position that has only caused me more misery. I do want to look at things in a different way. I've tried changing my perspective on things - meditating, going to therapy, exercising, reading self help books - but somehow I always bounce back to where I started. I want to look at things in a more neutral way, if that's possible. No positive feelings, no negative feelings. Just letting the thoughts be.

^^^ True. There needs to be mutual interest too otherwise it's all just one-sided.

The ironic thing is that I have been by myself my entire life and still am not happy with myself. lol. Thanks for believing in me though.

18. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also appreciate you sharing your story a little. I’m glad I’m not alone.

19. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have had very similar problems, friendships that did not last and relationships that were only abusive. The only problem was that I also did not like being alone which led to a cycle of being alone, seeking someone only to get abused over and over.

This is exactly what my studies in Taoism and Mindfulness have said. It has taken a couple of years to work on it but things are getting better. It is not an overnight thing and it does take work (funny that relaxing takes work) but it has helped. Everyone is a work in progress, the key is to keep working and progressing.

I feel this way also but as I said above, I am working on it and it is helping.

jjusa likes this.
  20. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are welcome, if you have questions about my story then feel free to ask. Its not exactly the same as yours but I am happy to share.
    The problem often if that its easier to make a short term cover up fix than it is to reach deep down inside and try and fix the root of the issue. I know I have definitely been guilty of that at times. The other thing is that even if you know that your current way of thinking or situation isnt helping you in the long term, it is habitual and normal for you and these habits are hard to break. If your mind has been dealing with something one way for years then trying to get it to rewire and follow a different path which to begin with might be difficult or painful is really hard. The current situation we find ourselves in is also not helpful, it is totally limiting opportunities to try different things and meet people.
    I definitely think giving therapy another try could help you, it can take a few attempts sometimes to find the right person and sometimes we have to get to a certain point before we are totally open and wanting to change and move forward.
    Using EC to talk things through is also a good thing, sometimes just talking things over with other people can really help.

jjusa and QuietPeace like this.