1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ran into my molester at the movie theater

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MouthofMadness7, Oct 8, 2016.

1. MouthofMadness7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So this happened not to long ago, I went with my two best friends to see a movie (We watched Suicide Squad) Of course, after the film we decided to hang out at an arcade. We just talked about school and stuff. Well, I had use the restroom after I went, I ran into my molester. He justed stared at me like he was scared. His eye sorta twitched. I just slowly walked away like nothing happened, his friend walked up and asked "Who was that?" "Just somebody I used to know" He replied. I told my friend about the encounter. She just said that it seemed pretty narcissistic of him to act like that and I'm the better person for not stooping down to his level. I just felt rather awkward about the situation, your thoughts? (sorry for long post)

#1 MouthofMadness7, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. perpetuality

I think you did what was perfectly sensible for your situation and that there's actually nothing better you could have done. I probably would have not acted as sensibly as you.

3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally agree with Perpetuality's thread...I know for myself...I was raped, beaten and left for dead by accuser whom I've known very well. After going through a series of surgeries and being told twice by different doctors throughout my ordeal that I was going to die...that once I had overcame everything...although I knew he had left town in order to start a new life somewhere else...some of his family still reside in the city whom by the way I was also close with as well. Nonetheless...off and on for the first couple of years...I would wonder how would I act if we did run into each other. I started thinking this when I ran into one of his best friends while out with friends. He approached me with a big hug and started general conversation. Before the conversation ended...he let me know how sorry he was for what happened to me and then preceded to let me know that my accuser's life was not going well and he had even been arrested a couple of times a couple of years after leaving town. So...with that being said...I can only imagine what was going through your mind after that incident because I would think that certain memories starting presenting themselves as if it happened yesterday. Although, we do move on with our lives...but we never forget. I applaud you again for the way you handled yourself in that incident.

4. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi MouthofMadness7:

I think you handled that just fine. From my own experience, whenever I run into someone with whom I've had an issue, it always feels very awkward, both at the time and afterward, and I always end up questioning if I did "the right thing".

Sometimes a lot of other feelings come up as well: guilt, shame, fear, etc. and maybe memories of the original experience. I encourage you to talk or write about these if that's what's happening to you.

There's no right or wrong way to deal with these occurences, imo, just an another opportunity to practice looking after ourselves appropriately and let go of any residual feelings.

Hope you're doing OK. :slight_smile:

5. DarkWater

DarkWater Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You did fine.

6. Linkmaste

You did plenty better than I would have. He wouldn't have walked out of that bathroom alive if that was me. I hope you received counciling or some sort of therapy.

How do you feel now some time has passed since the encounter at the moves? Sometimes shock or surprise gets us pretty good.

7. MouthofMadness7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yes! I have been receiving therapy and it's going good. I am surprised by the encounter because it was rather unsuspected but I am fine

---------- Post added 14th Oct 2016 at 05:42 PM ----------

Well my anxiety was high and tried to avoid him because I have severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder but I am on medicine but plan on to switching to Medical Marijuana