1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by aspie musician, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Sorry if I have not been exactly supportive today....Struggling a bit....but will get through it...feeling very bitchy...I dont know...antidepressant dosage is increased so probably have to get used to that as well,the first few days will probably not be that great...but should get used to it soon.

2. Cant quit while living in this house. Just can not. Need to make a plan to get out as soon as I can.

3. New approach: no antidepressants.Sceletium instead.Not lighting up.

4. Beetle

I went cold turkey about a year ago. It was tough, before then I tried quitting many times and going back to it. I still get agitated and crave cigarettes. I'll chew gum or take a walk if the agitation starts stressing me out. I find being friends with non-smokers helps too. None of my current friends smoke. My past friends ALL smoked. It's hard to quit when you're around it all the time.

5. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

My mom has been smoking for 45 years. The image of her one day soon being 24/7 hooked up to an oxygen tank just breaks my heart. :frowning2: I've never been a smoker myself, but if my encouragement to stay strong means anything, you have it.

6. Thanx for all the responses.I feel that cold turkey is the best approach. Malestrom-sorry to hear about that.Your encouragement means very much to me at the moment.

7. thrnvlpidj

Don't give up on us so easy.

One day at a time.

8. One day at a time.Agreed.

9. Struggling at the moment....Cant seem to focus on practising and headaches are really bad...

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2014 at 03:00 AM ----------

One day at a time....right?

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2014 at 03:09 AM ----------

I am in a better mood though,so that serves as further motivation to stick to my decision. Sense of smell and taste will be enhanced again soon enough.

10. Time to go for a walk and then its back to the piano.

11. Still going strong.

12. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

So tell me about your piano music, aspie? :slight_smile:

13. Piano-I want to do a performer's licentiate this year (I could and should have done it ages ago and have my Teacher's).I would also like to perform more often.Currently I am busy playing Debussy,Liszt,Rachmaninov(again but I LOOOOVE Rachmaninov),Tchaikovsky,Gorecki,and Bach.

14. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

That's great! Sooooooooo jealous. :slight_smile: I've always wanted to be a concert pianist. But lesson-denying parents, plus a congenital condition have quelled that dream. Now I just appreciate. Do you have any favorite performers?

I love Rachmaninov's transcription of Tschaikovsky's Lullaby, opus 16 no. 1. :grin:

15. Performers-I do not really think of them as ''favorites''...I can name a few that I enjoy I suppose(whether alive or not hehe): Martha Argerich,Murray Perahia,Ashenazy,Horowitz,Gould(getting lazy with typing out all the names),Pires,Gilels,Kocsis,and others.