1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by aspie musician, Mar 23, 2014.

1. So I have had some experience with substances and managed to quit most of them relatively easily.I have been struggling with quitting smoking a bit though.I managed to quit for a month but started again(although it was limited to 2 ciggies a week instead of my normal 20 a day habit)I want to attempt quitting again however.So hoping for some moral support by ex-smokers or people in general.I feel I understand the psychology behind the addiction fairly well,however,a little support always helps.

2. White Knight

You can do it just be more determined. No slacking with "One doesn't effect I can still quit" kind of thinking.

I am on 2 week of quitting. It is going good other than some physical problems (like sleep disorder and being tired). My usually daily ciggies were 40-50 at minimum, yeah chain smoker here.

For me quitting process is one way street now. I also quit smoking a couple of years back for a month but when I started to gain weight I chickened and started smoking again. This time I know I will gain weight but will start working out next month, as soon as my breathing becomes better) so no problem. I know there will be cravings but they pass... when they hit so hard I remind me this is me taking my life back, everything will be better. You know what everything going better since I quit. I feel more positive, stronger and happier.

You can do it. Just believe in yourself. :slight_smile:

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I used to (as a guy) smoke 3/4 of a pack in a day, before I started Hormones my doctor said I should quit, as it could increase my blood clot chances... I haven't quit yet per-say.

Much like you I have thrown aside some "addictive" substances... alcohol(Used to drink it nightly) and marijuana(I was never addicted to it, and I fail to see how it is addicting especially compared to cigarettes, I was a casual user)

I have moved on to an electronic cigarette, with increasingly smaller amounts of nicotine per month I would say, in the cartridges, My doctor as well as I notice the benefits of the change... my hair stopped smelling like cigs, my breath is alot better, my scars heal faster, and I look healthier, although my end goal is quitting completely, an E-cig or vap. is a much better choice, and with the variety of flavors & oils (and nicotine levels) I think you could find one you like.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just keep trying.

The number one mistake that people trying to break an addiction make is to see it as an all-or-nothing thing, with one slip meaning failure. If you slip up, just quit again. Each time, it'll get easier.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 04:10 AM ----------

My neuropsychology prof says marijuana is not addictive. It doesn't affect the right aspects of brain chemistry. (Most addictive drugs affect dopamine. Marijuana affects serotonin.) People can get into a habit of doing marijuana, but you can't be physically addicted to it.

5. Hi.Thanx for all the responses.I feel more determined now.Marijuana-easy to quit and was never an addiction.Alcohol-do not even do it regularly enough for it to be an issue.Cocaine and Crack-found it boring and relatively easy to quit(probably did not do it enough).Other substances-once offs,found them boring.I was a casual user of maryjane(hehe),however,I can see that it can be addictive to some.Cocaine is a weird drug-some people seem to get hectically hooked on it,while others do not find it all that amazing.I suppose if I managed to quit all of that(apart from coffee and alcohol and ciggies)and hardly crave the stuff then I should be able to quit ciggies.Thanx for all the advice so far(made mental notes).I agree with just keep trying-I seem more and more determined to quit each time I slip up.Besides there are not any positives in the end.People always say weigh the positives of smoking against the negatives.I take a different approach now.Cool,feeling motivated!!!

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 04:22 AM ----------

PS-I will go with NRT as treatment.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 04:30 AM ----------

Ettina-Marijuana is psychologically addictive.Physically-depends what one means by physical addiction-long term users may have trouble sleeping and feel anxious.This has been proven.While weed may seem ''harmless'' ,it can cure over a 100 diseases after all,it is not quite as innocent as some people make it out to be.It does depend on the person though.I have seen people affected both positively and negatively.I suspect MJ made most of my aspie symptoms disappear.Many docs do not seem to think I fit into the category anymore.Interestingly enough,there have been similar experiences bu others.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 04:32 AM ----------

sorry-other aspies have had similar experiences.I do not really feel the need to smoke it anymore.I do not know what the future holds,but kinda over it.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 04:35 AM ----------

Aspergers is incurable however and I most probably do have it to some extent(probably Higher functioning).

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 04:41 AM ----------

Symptoms do decrease over time in some cases however and we learn how to adapt.So much so that people start to doubt the diagnosis(as in my case).Some people on the ASD Spectrum do contradict the symptoms,I am most certainly not the only one either.There are those that are very empathetic,those that can lie well,etc.I pretty much suck at lying however,hehe,I am waaay too honest most of the time.I tend to be overly emotional though and while not always understanding people on a basic level,I tend to understand the complexities more(do not know if that makes sense).

6. However,when I do not have ciggies on me I am Asperger deluxe and just cant stop talking haha.Sorry about that...feeling EVER so slightly embarassed...

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 05:07 AM ----------

Sorry.Feeling anxious.Social skills are not good today.Hope I am not being too much of an irritation.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 05:15 AM ----------

What did I just do....I am being too open....I cant announce that I have tried hard drugs online...Sorry...I am being too opiniated as well I suppose...and keep on writing in my typical aspie style....Sorry guys...feel bad...

7. I would like to apologize for the unthoughtful way I posted in this thread and hope that my apology will be accepted.I am not making any excuses for my behavior and feel that I was out of line.I did not intend what I was typing to come out that way.

8. Had my last smoke!!!

9. I do not feel the need for NRT btw.Want the nicotine out of my system asap.Munchies and some withdrawal symtoms so far.Going wif da flow and chewing sugar free gum

10. White Knight

Way to go Asp.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water.

I know you will make it. :wink:

11. Thanx!Plenty of water is noted.

12. GP appointment went fine.GP encourages cold turkey (if that term is needed) and supports my decision.Feeling motivated.Relationship with GP is closer.Feeling good!Antidepressant dosage increased slightly since it also helps with anxiety.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 06:18 AM ----------

Ooh...food cravings!Love it!Will pick up weight as well!!

13. White Knight

Don't worry about weight. You can burn those calories later... tho if you are skinny gaining weight must be a good thing. :wink:

14. I am too skinny actually...

15. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about posting too much. We don't mind.

16. But yeah skinny is okay,no prob with it,saying that 5 kgs wont hurt.should have been more specific.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 07:07 AM ----------

Erm...is that sarcasm/double meaning/being nice/being bitchy...aspie wants to know hehe

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 07:10 AM ----------

Was on phone only saw other messages no hehe.Hope I am not posting too much.No1 has to respond.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 07:12 AM ----------

I think I understand the meaning now as well.Sorry but I ask when I am not sure

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 07:29 AM ----------

Aaargh.Now its getting tricky...water.Getting some water...Anxious and cant think straight hehe.But all cool.Water.Bye.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 07:32 AM ----------

Its not tricky...should just lie down a bit and go offline!

17. Its all cool.Just over 6 hours...thats good...am probably typing without any1 reading but do not care since I need to get this right...but anyway....best keep myself busy...

18. Not that anyone gives a damn.Not commenting on here anymore,sorry.I suppose support is too much to ask for in this world yet I keep on giving it.Why though?I should know by now that no1 cares.Even those that pretend to either do it for their own reasons or want to secretly use you.Freaking done.Thanks a lot if anyone is actually reading,but guess what I do not care right now,I know I want to freaking quit and no support is needed.Used to it by now.

19. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I care. Don't give up on people just yet.(*hug*)

20. Only saw this now and more of as an accident.I suppose you have a point.Managed not to smoke so far in any case.I do admit that it is not all that easy to quit while having a stressful situation at home,however,the situation is not a good enough excuse according to me.The ''perfect time'' never seems to arise in any case if you know what I mean.There will always be stressful situations ,whether home related or otherwise and may as well quit while I feel that I am capable of doing so. Thanx for the comment.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2014 at 09:41 PM ----------

Besides this decision is one I will not regret.