1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions You've Always Wanted to Ask Atheists

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thepandaboss, Jan 24, 2016.

1. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd...probably take a moment to gawk and laugh. (Because, mainly, no one knows what God looks like, so how can I know that the person standing before me really is him?) After that, I'd ask him about stuff that science currently can't answer. How did the world start? Is there even such a thing as world peace? And that continue with my own personal questions about the bible (eg why is there suffering)

It'll be amusing, if that does happen.

2. joshvolby

next question. is it possible that an atheist become a religious? if possible what do think will be the factor/s that will or might change an atheist?

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2016 at 01:49 AM ----------

oh btw im an agnostic

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, of course this is possible! :icon_bigg It might be that someone feels that there's something missing, some spiritual need for instance or some sense of belonging. Other reasons as to why someone can become religious can include: a traumatic experience, an experience that (seemingly) has no explanation or returning to faith because atheism didn't feel good for the person*.

* I've read about this a few times. It seems to happen with people who were raised in a religious household, left the faith at some point (in their 20s for instance), but return when they're older (e.g. in their 40s).

4. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm an agnostic since 5 years.
    If Gad appears in front of me, I'd first think if I've gone nuts! I'll argue with him, ask him to prove his might and ask him many questions like:
    1. What exactly happened before the Big Bang? Even if there was something BEFORE the big bang, it would'nt affect anything after the big bang. So why is it so?
    2. I'd learn genetics from God. Oh please teach me. I could help people suffering from cancer, Alzheimer's, schizophrenia and much more.
    3. Take me through a black hole. If you're God you could revert the laws of Physics and we'd get out through a wormhole someplace right?
    4. I'd ask him to tell me everything! I want to know everything *greedily*
    5. Give me a General Unified Theory.... Tje theory of Everything.

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you allow so much pain and suffering to persist in the world? Why can't our resources by infinite? Why is cancer a thing? Can't asteroids like.. not threaten Earth every now and then? If you created the world 2000 years ago, why do dinosaur remains exist and why is there evidence of human civilisation before then?

#125 imnotreallysure, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again more agnostic than atheist, but I've been laughing at and/or madly disturbed by people's religious beliefs and what evil things they will do for their imaginary friends for a long time now - since I could first cognitively begin interpreting that type of information, around 3-4 or so. (I should note here that I consider the idea of an anthropomorphic god to be absurd, and if that was what someone claimed god could only be I would consider myself an atheist.)

[YOUTUBE]p-KeAautd_k[/YOUTUBE]

Dear God, if you were alive you know we'd kill you...

7. Kinky

Kinky Guest

If god appeared in front of me, I would literally be like 'ok'.
    Then I'd ask for a confirmation 'leviticus is a load of crap, right?'
    I wouldn't ask for any sciency stuffs. I assume I would forget all those stuffs anyway.
    Reverse question: How would religious people react if God was proven to be fictional?

8. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents didn't go to church or anything, so I was never really religious, but I'd say I started identifying as atheist in junior high.

9. joshvolby

do you believe or at least in your thought that religion is just a fabrication?

PS: please religious people out there don't hate me :tears::tears:

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think one of the conditions of atheism or theism is that you have to believe that the other side is wrong. That does not mean I believe the cultural or moral institutions of religion are always wrong or inherently false even if they derive from a belief in the divine, but I find it hard to conceive a God who exists for others but not for me.

Even if you're an agnostic atheist, that problem doesn't necessarily go away. The reason I'm an agnostic atheist is that I know I cannot prove that no God exists (though I don't think it is my responsibility to prove a negative). However, if I'm to choose between two concepts, that there is a God and that there isn't a God, the one which relies on the fewest assumptions, which is not contradicted by definitive proof and is not self-evident, is the most rational choice, according to the principle of parsimony.

I feel it's far more honest for me to say that I honestly don't know some things than it is to insert God into the question. I feel that deism requires one assumption too many, and it is an assumption which too often allows an overconfidence of belief.

11. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not so serious question:

Do you get annoyed or irritated when people says "God bless you" to you?

12. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. Much in the same way I don't when someone wishes me "Merry Christmas." Accept their kind gesture, return it, and move on.

13. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. Goodbye used to mean 'god be with you' but that's not stopping me from using it.

14. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you mean, exactly? All religions? I think most religions are just some fabrication indeed. Stories are copied from previous religions and altered whereas others clash with science. Mostly fabrications going on in religions I think. =]

The words are meaningless to me in itself, so it depends on the intention. If I'm discussion religion with someone and that person will say "God bless you" and walk away, I wouldn't like it. Yet, if someone says it as a form of appreciation, I may like it. It's the intention really, the words don't bother me.

15. joshvolby

lets say you changed your heart/mind/belief, from atheist to religious, which religion you will choose?

16. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

OK to break it down this way, if a person has a genetic trait of being religious or is acculturated that way then no matter how much of logic he tends to drift back to religion in a state of distress! Poverty is a state of severe distress in which a person is pushed to faith! The logical reason is that faith in God is a psychological comfort mechanism , hence more faith during distress, basically the feeling of security that God will save you from this situation ! Now that with the background of religious propaganda a feature of Abrahamic religions a person is pushed to religious extremism because that's the only way he feels he can please God and overcome his current state of poverty! Oh and the study was in VMAT2 gene! There are studies in a non specific psychological manner to study the response of human mind!
    If not anything you should see how this just means that Faith in God or the concept of God can just be a creation of human mind due to genetic predisposition and as a psychological comfort mechanism!

17. tscott

Question:

Science apart, which can be explained away by an intelligent creator. The biggest question I have is from whence do you derive any moral authority? Societal norms are not good enough. They are constantly changing and very from culture to culture and subcultures within them.

To make my point I refer to Swift's "A Modest Proposal". Yes, this is social satire, but by what authority can you tell someone that eating the infants of the poor and using their hides for gloves is wrong? Why would pedophilia or slavery be wrong? What would be wrong with gathering up those nonproductive members of society and systematically eliminating them thus eliminating many of society's problems. Granted this is raductio ad absurdum, but the case stands.

As I see it, in atheism there are no absolutes, no moral authority. So what holds society together? What holds science together? After all, the scientific method assumes there is a logical creator. With all due respect, enlighten me?

#137 tscott, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Put simply, you do not need religion to tell you right from wrong. You do, however, need the golden rule to tell you right from wrong. And to be quite honest, I simply find the idea of a supreme being to be illogical. I haven't said this until now for a reason, but I'm going to go ahead and say it: I cannot reject what is proven by empirical evidence and embrace what so many merely want to be true for a number of reasons, that there's an invisible man who lives in a place you have to die to get to.

Not to mention, if there was a god, I wouldn't want anything to do with him. As George Carlin once said, "If God were an elected position, the current one would have been thrown out on his almighty ass a long time ago."

#138 AwesomGaytheist, Jan 28, 2016
  19. joshvolby

(!):eusa_clap(!):eusa_clap(!):eusa_clap

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found this that I wrote a while back, and it's not argumentative or disrespectful, but this should answer a lot of the questions above:

#140 AwesomGaytheist, Jan 28, 2016