1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about therapy, etc.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mischief, May 23, 2015.

1. Mischief

Mischief Guest

So I've had my fourth appointment with my gender therapist, and am hopefully having my appointment with the endocrinologist halfway next year. My therapist has spoken about me going on T around 16-17 with permission from my parents. Thing is, my mum straight up told me she most likely wouldn't let me do so.

So my question is, what are the permanent effects of T and what aren't?
    I also would like to know when top/bottom surgery will become available to me. My mother is mainly worried about me going infertile, and refuses to realise I want kids, but don't want to give birth to one. Also, what does the appointment with the endocrinologist include?

One last thing, is it normal to feel anxious about my family using my proper pronouns?

2. Acm

Acm Guest

Hudson's Guide: FTM Testosterone Therapy Basics This seems to be a pretty good overview of T. It lists which effects are permanent if you scroll down.

I'm pretty sure you can't have bottom surgery til 18, but you can have top surgery earlier (you might need parent permission, I'm not sure)

As much as I wish I got addressed by the proper pronouns, the idea makes me a little nervous too.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Max said. For bottom surgery, it won't be available to you until you're 18. As for top surgery, it varies from surgeon to surgeon. I know some who will allow it if you're under 18 and some won't. Some will do it if you're pre-T and some recommend that you be on T for a while.

As for the pronoun issue, it's pretty normal to feel nervous or anxious. I know I was at the very beginning.

4. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'm not sure how lucky I'll get with top surgery and getting it earlier, especially if my parents deny me the chance to go on T before 18 as well.

5. Sam I Am

Aren't there medications that suppress puberty and prevent your body from feminizing too much before you're 18, so that there's less to undo when you transition? Maybe your parents would at least agree to that?

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are hormone blockers, but I believe those also require parental consent and a doctor that would prescribe them.