1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning Portion of Being Approved for T

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by dray7, Aug 28, 2015.

1. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an appointment at the Mazzoni Center in less than a week now to finally start the process of getting on T. I was extremely excited about this, but then my therapist told me that her other trans clients that have been approved for hormones were asked a lot of questions dealing with their mental health before being approved. This makes me very nervous, because I have a whole slew of mental health issues and have done some not so safe things because of them (self harm, attempted suicide, etc.), and my parents aren't really in the know about...any of this, and my parents will be there for the questioning part of my appointment.

Basically, my question is, more specifically, what are they going to ask? Should I have a talk with my parents beforehand? I don't want to cause any trouble for anybody involved with this. I don't want to lie because I'm already going to be nervous, and I'm a bad liar. I know I should talk to my parents about this eventually, I'd just rather have more time than 5 days to do so.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They will ask you about your mental health history. They ask yiu this because they need to make sure that you are in a stable meal state before going on hormones. They also ask this because T may change how you have to control any mental illnesses. So, if your parents are going to be in the room, you may want to talk to them about it. Another option is you could ask them to leave during that portion.