1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questioning my sexuality.. any advice?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Elph, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi guys,

I'm a almost a 22 year-old woman and I'm questioning my sexuality...
    I have never been in a relationship whether with a boy or a girl but I just realized 2 months ago that I have been acting weirdly until now. For example, when boys were too close, I was nervous and rejecting them, I couldn't kiss a boy, it was kind of scary and I was feeling so so uncomfortable. One day, a boy told me he liked me on Facebook and that he wanted me to be his girlfriend and I couldn't go out with him but I just didn't understand why as he was so sweet and caring!
    Moreover, while I was overthinking these past months, I realized that I had so many girl crushes when I was younger and even now. I met a girl at school and I was thinking about her all the time, I was staring at her in class and when she had to go home, I was in my room, crying because I was missing her and I thought it was normal, that I liked her as a friend. But I acted this way only with her. To me, she was my everything, I was sad when she was sad and I was excited only with the thought that I would see her in class, eat with her for lunch. That's the moment when I started questioning and everyday this question is coming back "Am I gay?"
    Guys, I don't know what to do, I'm desperate and overthinking about this everyday is killing me :frowning2:

2. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like you at least like girls. Whether you have met a boy that's right for you is a separate thing. At the end of the day you were right to turn down those guys you weren't interested in. It's important to be honest with yourself, and you don't owe anyone a date. What about this girl though? It sounds like you like her? Have you considered approaching her?

3. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much for your answer! Well about this girl, I was very close to her and I was always hugging her and kissing her (on cheeks) when I had an opportunity and then one day, she told me she had a girl best friend and I don't know why but I started crying and my heart was hurting.. She noticed that I was jealous and she stopped talking to me.. I wanted to have a conversation with her but she ignored me and was cold (right now I'm in a foreign country for an internship and it didn't make things better). I tried to forget about her because all my friends were saying that she was toxic for me and that she didn't care about me. We don't talk anymore but I'm still thinking about her and I'm trying to know if what I felt toward her was love. The thing is, this is the second time this kind of thing happens to me with a girl, I had the same story 2 years ago. And I don't know what it means.. are they only strong friendships (for me) or more?

4. wrndnwun

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the end you're the only one who can really know, but I feel like I can relate to what you're saying, I had the weirdest push pull thing going on with guys where even if I thought I was interested as soon as they wanted anything I just lost interest and the one time I did kiss one it was a miserable experience. Same with the jealousy over certain people, I had that with my best friend and it finally hit a point where I knew it wasn't normal, and it was driving me absolutely crazy and I couldn't stop thinking about it and wondering if I was gay or bi or just overthinking things. Honestly it might not be something you can know until you try it, but my advice would be to try and not overthink it too much, which is easier said than done. For me I'm definitely gay, but it wasn't easy to come to that conclusion, it took a lot of questioning and doubts but after I actually started dating girls things just started to fall into place in a way they never did before. But I think if you're stressing about it to this point there is a good chance that you are, or that it's at least worth trying to date girls and see what happens :slight_smile: Best of luck!

5. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I agree, wondering if you're straight usually means you're at least bi.

6. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you both for your answers, I really appreciate it and it makes me feel a little bit better! The thing is, how can I try something without my friends knowing about it? They don't know how I feel, I'm too scared to share this because I don't know how they would react :frowning2: I know one of my friend wouldn't bother but still, I don't know if I'm ready to talk about these things when I'm unsure myself :frowning2:
    These past months I have became so supportive of the LGBT+ community, I was so envious of people going to Pride and it made me even more sad...i'm literally thinking about all of this everyday, even at work haha
    But you are right, maybe I should have at least one experience to help me figure out what's going on with me!
    Thank you again!!

Love4Ever likes this.
  7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand. I am not out yet either so contemplating putting myself out there is scary. I wasn't able to do any Pride related things either event though I wished I could. Honestly, I would try to mix with some queer people. Do they have some kind of club or something. You don't have to be sure of your identity to join, even allies are welcome. If you wanted you could just say to your friends if they ask why you want to join that you are an ally, which is true, and then once you're able to spend more time with some queer girls you can see how you feel. Honestly, if you want to try kissing or something some people are up for that as long as you're upfront that you're not looking for anything serious and you're still trying things out. I personally would totally do that for someone if they wanted to experiment or something since I know how hard it can be to step outside of your comfort zone, and I am sure they're other girls who would be maybe willing to do that too. You can just say you're curious or something and that you've never tried it and someone may offer to let you kiss them, no strings attached. Not all lesbians or bi girls are comfortable with that, but I've heard that some queer girls actually find helping "straight" girls or questioning girls who are experimenting to be a turn on and a fun challenge.

8. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Woaw I didn't think about this! Indeed it can be helpful, just the fact to mix with queer people and exchange with them would be a great start! The only problem is that in 2 weeks my internship abroad ends and then I have to go back in my small city where only one small club exists and I guess there are only straight people... What did you do personally (if I may ask)? Did you go to these clubs to help you?

Love4Ever likes this.
  9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I unfortunately have not. Only because I have not been able to make it to one. I have ended up having to figure out my sexuality mostly alone, from watching movies with queer characters, youtube coming out stories etc. I would love to get real experience dating and all that stuff but the timing hasn't been right. But I figure if I knew I liked boys when I was younger I should be able to know whether I like girls from my own instincts.

10. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand and I wish from the bottom of my heart that you will find someone you're happy with because evebody deserves this! Have you told somebody already? At least one person?
    I think that I have watched all the coming out stories which exist on YouTube and I could find myself in some stories which was really disturbing.. I have also started to watch movies and reading fanfictions involving love stories between girls and I have to admit that I loved doing this but it makes me question more and more and I would like to get an answer... I don't understand why it is so difficult for me to find one, like I have always these words in my mind "you're gay" and then "no you're not, you can't be", "but what if?" And it's like it's never ending.

11. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the kind words! Sometimes I have found the best way to find an answer is to let go of looking for one. The best way to do this is to just let the idea "settle" in your mind and just let it rest there, without questioning it or letting your mind talk you out of it. I've heard a lot of people say they "tried on" their sexuality by living it as their truth for a period of time and seeing how it resonated with them. Eventually the doubts would quiet and it would begin to feel natural. Also it's helpful to not think of attraction or feelings as a singular thing. One doesn't have to be gay or straight, one or the other. There is room in an individual for a variety of feelings, attractions and expressions. You don't have to fit every feeling you've ever had into a box, or meet some arbitrary list of requirements. There are no rules. Just let your feelings exist as they come and embrace them whatever they are.

#11 Love4Ever, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  12. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are so right, your words are really beautiful! Thank you for your answers! I guess that I will just wait and see what happens next...

Love4Ever likes this.
  13. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad I could help!

Elph likes this.
  14. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there, I just wanted to let you know I really see a lot of myself in what you're saying. Especially how I felt about a year ago.

Figuring this out is difficult and confusing. It's so hard because you have to do it on your own. You could talk to someone but I know how hard that is. As long as it's just you thinking about it, it's all in your head. The scary thing is once you tell someone, it becomes real.

I too always had this thing where I would never be into guys the way my friends were. Everytime I did like a guy, the minute he showed some kind of interest I backed away and became really uncomfortable about the idea of dating him. I never really fully conciously noticed that I had crushes on girls back in high school, but looking back there where these intense feelings of wanting to be very close friends with certain girls, wanting them to like me, to impress them, jealousy... and I knew even back then that it meant somethimg but I wrote it off as normal straight girl friendly jealousy.

When I finally did start to think about it like you are doing now, I also had these ups and downs of 'I'm definitely gay' and the next minute 'what? Am I? How could I be' and the big question 'could I really not have known'. Now I know that I did know in a way but at the same time I was so oblivious

Like lost4ever already said, it's really helpfull to watch tv shows, movies, coming out stories on youtube, listen to music that doesn't have a heteronormative narrative. By doing so it clicked for me what I could relate to and what I pictures for myself in a happy future.

Who do you see yourself with in the future? Not what do people expect from you or how did you always kind of think your future would look like, but what really feels right for you. A woman? A man? Maybe either? Nothing is black and white.

Sometimes it's hard to find queer people/groups/bars... Meeting people and experimenting isn't always easy but can be very helpfull although you don't always NEED to test yourself to know what you want.

You could also download a dating app. They seems scary and very unromantic and first but you could just take it easy. You don't have to meet up with anyone, just look what kind of people are on there, who could you possibly like? Maybe talk/flirt a little just online and see how it feels. I unexpectedly met my first girlfriend on the second date I went on and even though it didn't last, it made everything so much clearer.

Ok sorry for this long rant but I just hope some of this might be helpfull :slight_smile: good luck to you, you'll figure it out. Take your time and I'm always up for a talk if you need it

wrndnwun, Elph and Love4Ever like this.
  15. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so so much Luna for your reply! I didn't except to have so many feedbacks to my post, I'm kind of relieved to see that what I feel is normal! I fell in love with a guy once (I didn't even know if it was love actually) but I was 11 years old and he had long blond hair and 1 year after, he cut his hair and my interest for him started to fade away.. Since then, I've never been interest in any guy, I have only one male crush and it's an actor haha! All my favorite actresses are countless and it's the same for music, I listen to mostly women! I discovered recently Hayley Kiyoko as everyone is talking about her and her song Girls like Girls hit me hard, I was so into the music video and 100% supportive of the two main characters, it was something.

When I think about my future, it's so blurry but the "you will marry a man" part is making me sad.. And when I refer to this girl I was talking about, above (my classmate), I had always butterflies when seeing her and when it was late at night, I was imagining me next to her on my bed and hugging her, nothing more but I shouldn't have this kind of thoughts if she was just a friend right? :frowning2:

Apps are scaring me but you're right, it can be a start and I should try even If I don't meet the person after.. The funny thing is that I have already tried an app twice for guys and it was a mess haha! For the first one, it was "perfect", we talked a lot about our music taste, movies, shows and we met once! We went to a coffee shop, he was really sweet and shy! But after this and even before, I wasn't excited to receive his messages or to see him again! And 2 months after, he had a girlfriend and I wasn't sad, I was just "oh okay, cool :slight_smile:" and really happy for him!
    And my second time, two friends of mine downloaded the app for me, they saw that I wasn't so excited about this so they just started to talk to boys in my name and they said "we started for you the conversation with many boys, keep talking with them once you're at home" And when I went back home, the first thing I did was to delete the app and then, cry the whole night, I felt so lonely and completely lost because I didn't understand why I did this and my lack of interest in finding someone :frowning2:
    Luna, did it take you a long time to realize that you were not straight?

Wow sorry for this huge paragraph... it feels so good to be able to express myself here!!

16. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely normal to feel this way. I can't say I've ever been in love with a guy but I thought I had some crushes back in high school. Especially on actors or fictional characters. I'd go on about them to my friends cause it felt really great to talk about boys the way my friends did and I kind of believed it myself I guess. But it never felt 100% right and I was aware of that. Hayley is amazing! Her music is awesome and I love how relatable her lyrics are.

It does really sound like you've had some very real feelings for your friend. Of course it might hurt if someone doesn't feel the same way about you but see it this way, you discovered that you are capable of falling in love with a woman so it'll probably happen again and that's a beautiful thing.

Haha yes I get that feeling of going on a date with a nice guy and feeling like 'why am I not excited about this?' Why am I not jealous but happy he met someone else.

It did take me a long time. I've had doubts for years but I never took it serious until a little before my 20th birthday. It's been about 1 year and a few months since that day I admitted to myself 'I'm not straight'. But I kept getting back and forth between bi and gay. I still don't feel that comfortable with labels but I usually go with gay. Maybe you've heard about the kinsey scale? It shows sexuality on a scale from 0 to 6 and you can fall anywhere in between. I'd say I'm a 5

17. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I guess I really loved her because I'm still thinking about her everyday even if we don't talk anymore :frowning2: I want to send her a message so badly but I know that she's doing fine without talking to me and it's better like that because it might hurt me even more.. but still it's hard!

Oh yeah I have heard about the Kinsey scale! I even did a test to know my position but I don't know if I can relate to it haha!
    I also don't know if I can know if I'm really gay without having any experience before but I guess that my feelings for girls are true and it's hard to accept... All my life I thought that I was straight and I would reject any thoughts about liking girls but these thoughts don't want to go away :frowning2: And if I'm thinking about this constantly, it might mean something...

18. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is this girl straight? Cause in that case it might be better to just try to move on. But if there's a chance she's not, you can always send her a message, nothing to lose. I know it's hard. I'm in the same spot with my ex where I constantly want to write her but wonder if it would do any good.

Those tests can help you give an idea but they're not reliable at all. I got something like: 'x: you either filled in wrong answers or are a very unusual person'

You can know before having had any experience. I had very little experience as well when I started to question it. But you can just feel it in a way, I don't know how to describe it. And when I was with a girl for the first time, it was exactly how I imagened it would be all this time.

You said these thoughts don't want to go away. Can I ask you this, do you really want them to go away? Not just because life would be easier, society's expectations, etc... But you personally, how do you feel when you think about being in a happy relationship/having sex with a woman...? Does it feel natural? Do YOU really want it to go away? You might have your answer right there.

19. Elph

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No this girl is the straightest person ever, if I can say that haha! So yeah, the best thing to do is to move on even if it takes time..

When I think about women, I'm so happy! It's so much easier for me to bond with a woman rather than a man, the discussion is more fluid and when I get to know men, I am so shy which is not the case with women!
    I was on social media one day and as I scrolled on my timeline, a post showing lesbian porn appeared and I was at first shocked (it makes me laugh just to remember my face at that time hahaha) and then I got so curious and I wanted to see more. But the more I was watching this, the more I was asking myself "girl, what are you doing??" But I liked it and it made me happy to see women together. On this page, there was also straight porn and at first I didn't mind but then, I found myself scrolling it very fast and in the end, I didn't want to see this, It was kind of "disgusting" for me.. I know it's weird to say that maybe..
    I have never thought about having sex with a woman before but I guess I would like it? Having sex with a man is disturbing and I have difficulty imagining me doing this actually..

20. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's true you may need to move on. You know your situation best. But I will say I WAS "the straightest person ever". I probably would have stayed that way too if I hadn't bothered to explore my sexuality. I am still pretty straight in many ways. I still love guys a lot, and lean that way. I am the same fundamentally in that regard. But my tastes and desires have expanded, and at this point I don't identify as straight anymore. So I guess all I am saying is life can surprise you. Sometimes the people we think we have no chance with actually are more flexible than we think.