1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning my gender identity. Might be non-binary.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MxGentle, Apr 11, 2021.

1. MxGentle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am young adult in the USA living with my parents. I was assigned male at birth, but I am at present questioning my gender identity. I want to make sure I know for sure I am non-binary or am just a feminine cis man.
    I've always been a very sensitive person, but something about calling and referring to myself as a man doesn't feel quite right. Hard to tell if I have a legitimate non cis identity or I simply convinced myself of something.
    When I was younger, I remember feeling a little funny in a negative way when I began going through puberty and saw hair growing on my legs. I also sometimes sleep in a female spaghetti strap tank top when I have the house to myself, which I am growing to like, and like having a beardless face.
    However, I don't really feel the sense that I am a woman. While I sometimes think about what it would be like to be a woman, my current desire at present is to simply have a clean face, no body hair, and maybe start styling myself in a black fedora, earrings, and lipstick. I would love to try out a more androgynous look with some darker clothing, but I cannot do it unless I know for certain that non-binary is the gender identity that suits me.
    I have told about my questioning to my older sister, some cousins, and a little bit to my mother. However, I have a short tempered father and older brother who have a "Blame the Democrats" mentality and religiously watch Fox News and sometimes Newsmax, and my father angrily referred a trans woman being "a man" while listening to conservative radio. I am fearful of coming out, as I might either be judged or be bombarded with questions, "look at both sides" lectures, or being expected to watch some video about why transgenderism and non-binary identity are "not real" or how "binary gender is 'simply science'". I am frightened of my father sometimes, and my mother can be dismissive when I express concern or discomfort. My older sister also lives in another state, while my brothers lives locally.
    Any advice, experiences, or kind words appreciated. I want to figure my identity out and do it right.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC.

People do not talk themselves into being something that everyone is going to hate. Also, whoever you are is legitimate, no matter what the haters will tell you. You are you.

If dressing or acting a certain way will make you more comfortable you should do it. You do not need to paste a "legitimate" or "real" label on in order to try makeup or any other things to change your presentation. Earrings and a fedora are worn by both men and women so that should not be an issue either (some AMAB persons who identify as male also wear makeup).

I was also raised in a toxic environment. Since you would be in danger of ridicule and other consequences I would advise that you not come out until you had moved out on your own. If you can experiment in private that is fine but you should move out as soon as possible, you need a safer environment regardless of what your identity is.

I came out at the same age as you and I had to move away from my parents in order to do it.

There is no "right" way or any "correct" or "real" identity. You are you, be and present yourself as what makes you comfortable. There is a thread here where you can experiment with names and pronouns, you could try that at least. Also, when in private go ahead and experiment with presenting yourself differently.

Red Sun and MxGentle like this.