1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning my gender expression

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lilie, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Lilie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I was assigned female at birth and never questioned it growing up. I was raised quite traditionally when it came to gender roles, my parents encouraged me to present as a very traditionally feminine girl. Gender roles and stereotypes are sadly very present in my family. I'm 26 but I'm only starting to figure out what I want in life and who I want to be. Last year me and my long-time partner (cishet man) had our first child. It was life-altering in many ways.

So now that I'm in the process of figuring out what kind of parent I want to be, I'm starting to accept that being a traditional woman (and mother) isn't for me. I like being feminine, sometimes, but I would also like to be able to present masculine sometimes too. Some days appearing feminine sounds like a burden, like a mask I'm putting on. My body has changed a lot since my pregnancy and now I hate my breasts more than ever (I've always dreamed of being flat-chested). They feel very uncomfortable and like they don't belong on my body.

The simplest way I can put it is: I don't want to be presenting as a person with breasts. What does it mean?

It seems really insignificant and a bit silly to wonder about it. I feel comfortable with being called a woman and it feels right to be called a mom, so why am I questioning the way I want to present and be perceived?

2. NoName1997

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hey, thank you for sharing your story! I am currently going through something similar- I am 23 and assigned female at birth. I have never felt like my body was mine and have never liked my breast, I thought this was normal until I talked to my therapist. I told her similar to what you said on how you don’t mind being perceived as female but my therapist argued that I might not mind being perceived as female but would I feel more comfortable perceived as masculine. I’m still trying to figure this out. Sorry if this was no help, I just wanted you to know you’re not alone.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it possible that you are nonbinary? Have you tried using a binder to see how you would feel that way?