1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for gay and bisexual guys and all the LGBT people who wish to answer?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by thexboxguy, Mar 14, 2018.

1. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hello, I'm a 25 year old bisexual guy, well I'm more like a kinsey 5, so let's say I'm gay to not complicate things. The reason I'm posting this is to ask for your opinions and if you agree with me or not about this matter. As a gay guy myself, I've been noticing that guys in general, but especially gay and bisexual guys have harder lives than the rest of the men.

First: Almost most men tend to be very homophobic and sexist against gay and bisexual guys, they'll usually make homophobic comments and jokes and I really dislike it, I don't live in any english speaking country, so I don't know if homophobia is still prevalent in countries such USA, the UK and Canada because I've never been there. In fact, I live in Mexico and I don't understand why there are still homophobic/sexist men here. My guess is that they have a lot of insecurities and fear of being associated with us or they may be closeted gay/bisexual themselves but don't accept themselves and that's why they attack the others.

Second: Sometimes I envy women and wish I were one. Let me clarify I'm comfortable myself as a guy, the only thing is that women have easier lives than men, for instance: they are allowed to show affection each other like hugging/kissing on the cheeks without being called lesbian but what happens when guys show affection? Yes, I know two men could show affection each other if they wanted to but they are at risk of being called gay by some guys who are around and to be honest I don't like it and it's unfair for me if you ask me.

Third: In general women are more accepting than men, I think a woman would be 80% more likely to accept us than a guy would. I've had bad experiences with men, I've been bullied most of my life. To tell you the truth, I was bullied in elementary school, middle school, high school and unfortunately I was bullied in the last semester in university. However , bullying in university wasn't that bad and it only lasted like 4 or 6 months or so. People in middle school and high school thought I was gay due to some mannerisms that made them think I was gay.
    In middle school I was bullied by both boys and girls but the bullying I got from guys was physical and verbal, they called me by the F word and made homophobic jokes about me all the time, whereas the bullying I got from girls was psychological like name-calling, social rejection/ostracizing and gossip, I also remember being physically attacked by only two girls, I had no friends in middle school as you can see, only very few boys and girls were my friends. As I said earlier, I was bullied in high school, too and even though it was bad, it wasn't as bad and nasty as the one I got in middle school and I got beaten up less often. Actually only occasionally I got beaten up, it was more verbal than physical, I was made fun of by some guys in my classroom, they made homophobic jokes about me. In university people bullied me because of envy and jealousy and I was in a toxic environment full of two- faced and fake people, I bet they were jealous of me because I always got good grades in university without making any effort and I was liked by most of the teachers and that seemed to bother them, I think they felt threatened by me in a way when in reality I didn't do anything to them. I'm gald to have gotten through university and to have gotten an electronics engineering degree, which makes me feel proud about myself.

Lastly: Yes I know I complain too much, despite the fact that in these days we live in times where homosexuality is more accepted compared to 20/30 years ago but I simply don't get it why men have a lot of insecurities, me for example I wouldn't mind showing signs of affection with other men like hugging without being teased by some.

Why do you think men in general are more homophobic than women?

Do you agree with everything I've written so far?

Would you mind letting me know how good or bad my english is?

It isn't my native language since I'm still a learner, so I'm not sure how many grammatical mistakes I've made so far.

2. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Your English is actually pretty good, I would have had no idea it wasn't your native language if you hadn't said it.

I agree with you that it's rather unfair women aren't judged as much for being affectionate, because people just assume it's normal for girls to act that way.

Men seem to be more homophobic due to the culture they were raised in. They are taught their entire lives that they have to "be a man" and be stronger than everyone else etc. and that showing emotion is a weakness. Since affection is considered a more female trait, a lot of men avoid being emotional so they won't be compared to women. Also, one of the basic foundations of male culture is being the one "in charge" which in relationships equates to penetrating another person. When they think of being gay, they imagine them getting penetrated and not being the one "in charge" anymore, since another guy would have control over them. So it makes them feel like less of a man and they don't like feeling that way.

3. Hobbes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It does depend on the guy in general I've noticed. With most guys, they've been taught that guys don't hug. But, that men may show affection if it is kind of violent, such as hitting, punching, or shoving. However, I do know a couple of straight guys who have lamented the fact that men can't show affection.

Niagara likes this.
  4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on the region of the US... Some are better than others when it comes to LGBT stuff. And I know just as many women who are anti LGBT as I do men. Granted the worst one also is the most religious...