1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Shadowhunters

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Spot, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm reading the Mortal Instruments series and my mom's kind of into it too. I mean, she hasn't read the books but we watched City Of Bones together, she's read some of City Of Ashes too and I've basically updated her on everything that's happened since that book/movie so she's up to date, haha. And I really want to start watching Shadowhunters and I know she'd watch it too. It's just that I know that it's different from the books and I wanted to know...is it like, appropriate? I don't care about violence because she knows the book are sort of violent at times but I'd feel awkward watching something with a lot of profanity or sexual references in it. And I don't want her to regret letting me read it lol, she's really paranoid about what I view. I know someone on here has to have seen it because I've seen a lot of people talking about TMI XD But would it be awkward to watch with my mom or will it be fine?

2. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm half way through the second season and honestly I can't think of anything too bad. IMDb has a parents guide that goes through the film/programme and mentions things under 'Sex and Nudity', 'Violence and Gore', 'Profanity', 'Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking' and 'Frightening/Intense Scenes', however I had a look and it did has very little information on Shadowhunters. Thinking back I don't think there was many sexual references that would be too much - there's a scene with where Simon and a girl are in bed, presumably naked, and it shows them waking up, a scene with Jace in bed with a girl (he gets up and is wearing underwear but nothing else), just before that scene there's mentions of noises, there's a scene with Isabelle and somebody in bed that I would consider the most sexual but still not that bad (I watched that specific episode with my mum) and there's a conversation between Isabelle and Alec about advice on sex (more about when is the right time as far as I can remember) and then mentions of that later.
    There's not really much profanity - as in I can't think of anything but then against im pretty immune to profanity at this point.

Honestly for me it was more awkward because of how bad it is than anything. I don't think it has a great beginning but when you get into it either it gets better or you just get more used to it. Anyway I'm really enjoying it although I wouldn't say it was amazing (books > film > programme). The books are fantastic and I adore them and I think that's influencing homework I see the programme.

3. Loves books

It's totally appropriate as long as she's cool about the gay couple in it. There's not a lot of references to sex but you do get that Izzy sleeps around and there was a conversation where Alec asks Izzy about sex. It's really not a conversation you should have with your sister. I don't think there's any profanity.

4. Kinley

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The new season has the gay couple having sex but it isn't to bad.

5. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you everyone :blush: I probably will watch it with her when we have time. It should be fine, we've both seen worse :laughing: I know it's not really like the books but I'm still interested anyway, probably just because of all the hype...and I've already come out to her, she's read up to part of City Of Glass and seen the movie so she knows Alec and Magnus are in a relationship, haha.