1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Prop 8 Overturned - Supreme Court Validates District Court Ruling

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Dan82

Detalis on Hollingsworth v. Perry: In Plain English : SCOTUSblog

Detalis on Hollingsworth v. Perry: In Plain English : SCOTUSblog

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2013 at 12:58 PM ----------

The Big Problem With the Supreme Court's Prop 8 Decision | Mother Jones

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2013 at 12:59 PM ----------

The Big Problem With the Supreme Court's Prop 8 Decision | Mother Jones

2. Hefiel

Not a fan of Mother Jones' interpretation of the SCOTUS ruling. To me it seems more that individual rights trumps majority votes, so it's a win in the US for individual rights.

3. Dan82

this case wasn't about equal rights it was about standing.

4. Hefiel

I meant that Prop 8 was initially voted by "the people" (the majority), and that it was ruled unconstitutional in the Californian courts. That the person representing Prop 8 in front of SCOTUS (Cooper I believe) was deemed to not have standing is, in a way, saying that "the majority/the people" don't have any standing, leaving the final ruling to the courts in California.

This led me to the conclusion that just because it's "the majority", it does not mean that it is sufficient to have legal standing, which to me sounds like a good thing as "the majority" is far from always right.

5. Dan82

this can make it difficult for suppers of any referendum to get support if state officals want to ignore it.. If say a wetlands protection act is passed by referendum and a developer sues saying it violates his property rights and the state doesn’t defend it, then this ruling could make it more difficult for environmentalists to defend the act.

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2013 at 02:16 PM ----------

http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/06/a-one-two-punch-to-the-nations-most-prominent-antigay-laws/

6. Beware Of You

So if me and my American boyfriend got Married in the UK (2015) would I get the same rights as a heterosexual partner in the US for immigration reasons ?

7. Hefiel

I think I see what you mean. Basically if they (the environmentalists) lose in the state courts, they wouldn't necessarily be able to appeal in front of SCOTUS.

8. Dan82

Two Cheers for the Supreme Court on LGBT Rights

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2013 at 02:35 PM ----------

i'm not sure how this will effect foreign marriages but if he's a resident of a state that allows it and you got Married there they'd honor it(and establishing residency in a state is very easy).

9. Dan82

A home run but not a grand slam for gay-marriage advocates: In Plain English : SCOTUSblog

10. Dan82

[YOUTUBE]8vvuO_yn9c0[/YOUTUBE]

11. tryhtwfr

Sorry I don't live in America but after seeing Lady Gaga's tweets, I assume that Gay marriage has been legallized?

12. Dan82

only in California.

13. Jeff

Yes, this thread seems to have treaded water for post after post. Words like "at least for now" and "it appears" had a very vague unfocused and unclear narrative about a most important issue. Horrible writing, and I am glad I stayed with Towleroad's site for the minute by minute breaking news, and not here.

14. Dan82

The Court opts for an incremental approach but a major victory nonetheless : SCOTUSblog

15. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

YAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One step closer to full on equality

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2013 at 03:38 PM ----------

YAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One step closer to full on equality!

16. justjade

*pops open a bottle of champagne and laughs maniacally*

17. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay!! (!) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::newcolor::thumbsup:

18. ANightDude

Well duh. It's an internet message board. None of us here are professional reporters. What could you possibly expect?

19. JakeHas

Legalization

I am thrilled for everybody due to the recent news, especially those in California. Sadly I live in a state that will not budge (Indiana).

Local impact of Supreme Court's same-sex marriage rulings

What is my next step? I really don't want to sit here and watch our rights continue to be taken away at a local or state-level and continue to discriminate all of us.
    (I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, it seemed to fit best here)

20. Aldrick

Re: Legalization

I don't think you have much to worry about. The court has basically set things up to the point where we are in the position of interracial couples back before Loving v. Virginia. In some states you're married, but if you cross the border you find yourself... what? unmarried? No one knows.

This is not a legally tenable position, and eventually the courts are going to force every state to recognize gay marriage - whether or not they have state constitutional amendments banning it.

The problem is that if you're straight and you get married in New York (marriage state) and then move to New Jersey (non marriage state) your marriage is recognized. However, if you're gay and you do this your marriage is not. This is a clear violation of equal protection under the law, and a court is going to use the Loving v. Virginia and the DOMA rulings from the Supreme Court along with the United States Constitution to rule that the state cannot discriminate against gay people.

We're in a position where it's WHEN not IF gay marriage is legal in all fifty states. So, you're fifteen right now. This means by the time you're ready to get married - likely before you're twenty years old - gay marriage is likely to be legal in all fifty states.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2013 at 11:54 AM ----------

Oh, and the next step is to continue fighting for marriage equality in the states that don't have it yet. Every victory we achieve helps the LGBT rights movement build momentum, and eventually this is going to transfer into other areas outside of marriage.