1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Renegades, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So, my school's prom is in two months from yesterday. I hadn't given it much thought until I was talking to my friend earlier and she brought it up briefly, saying she wasn't sure what dress to get cause they're all so expensive, and that she wasn't sure if she was going, since she wasn't sure if she'd get asked. It got me thinking a little bit about exactly what I want for prom, if I even bother going. I am now wondering if it would be a good idea to ask her to prom. I don't really like her as more than a friend, though I wouldn't be opposed if she wanted to date. She's queer, and I kind of like the thought of asking her to prom. Thoughts? And maybe the appropriate time to ask? Like time frame. A few weeks? A month before? And any ideas for friendly promposals?

2. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since I haven't had my prom yet, I don't really know the appropriate time to ask. However, if you do prompose, try to include some sort of inside joke or memory in it. My best friend and I both love chicken fried rice from a certain restaurant where I live. One time, we had a fight and I was going to that restaurant for dinner and I brought her a container of the fried rice to her house to make up with her. We both decided that if we don't get asked to prom, we would go together and that if I promposed first I would incorporate the fried rice. So try to find ways to make it special to you two! Good luck!

3. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most schools have a best ask competition. Typically during it is an appropriate time. That or up to 1 month before prom.

4. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I think you should ask her! It'd be cute :grin: I think with promposal, it really depends on what you're comfortable with doing. There's a ton of ideas online, particularly on Buzzfeed and Pinterest. And I think you shouldn't waste too much time with asking her. Do it when you're ready but I think if you wait too long, someone else might ask her before you get a chance or she might decide she doesn't want to go because no one's asking her.

Wesley007 likes this.
  5. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Asking a month or so in advance seems reasonable to me. Granted, I don't know much about these things, but from what I've seen, people like to have time to find just the right outfit, make arrangements for dinner, all kinds of things. These things take time to plan, so I'd say make sure you ask early enough to allow for the time it takes to plan for the event.

Good luck!