1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom dress problems and my mother

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by love dont judge, Jan 19, 2018.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, this year is my junior prom which is like, THE year for prom at my school. The juniors put it together and pay for it and it's just that big milestone. Now, I don't really care all that much for prom to be honest. But it is my junior prom so I put my foot down against my mother's will and I got a dress. (It's the latest in my media if you'd like to check it out. I'd love some passing tips) Now, it's a corset back and it fits pretty decent, but it is strapless. This concerns me as I, of course, have nothing to hold it up with lol. It's not like, actively falling down but it does slip a little. I'm not even sure if it can be altered since it's a corset back so I really don't know what to do. Does anyone have any experience with being fairly flat chested and strapless dresses? Also, my mother is completely against this and in total denial about me being trans. When I asked her if I could, she said no and gave me the silent treatment while I went on to have a conversation with myself. I flat out told her, out of frustration at her denial, that she could stop me until I was 18 and then I'd be off on my own and would transition with or without her support. Now, I am going to wear this dress but I'm just not sure what her reaction will be/how to deal with the fallout that will surely result. It won't be anything physical but I think that this just might be enough to jolt her out of denial and I'm not sure what will ensue or how to deal with it, especially since I'll be dealing with my schoolmates reactions at the same time. And I go to a pretty small school in a small town, about 120 in the high school, 350 in the k-12. So everybody in town will know when I go back on that Monday. Sorry for the length. Thanks for reading though.

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all congratulations on your bravery most high school student would not dare to stand their ground against their parents, let alone come out at the same time in front of the entire school. I have had a look at your picture and the dress is gorgeous and suits you very well!!

You seem to have a fairly feminine body already and to be honest, had I not read this post before seeing the picture I wouldn't even have thought that you were anything but a cis-girl. So I wouldn't worry about passing as you already do. For the chest part I am not sure, I think you should be able to have it tightened a bit in the back,I have breast and corset dress always used to slip as well so I always thought they were made for small chested ladies.

Anyhow, congratulations again, enjoy your prom and I am sure you will look lovely no matter what!

3. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's really awesome that you're taking that step. If you're really worried about the dress falling down, you could add straps or a halter strap to it, even with just ribbon or something. If you want to keep it strapless my advice would be to tighten the back as much as you can at the top and put fashion tape along the top of the dress on the inside. That will keep it up. If your dress has boning in it, you probably don't have to worry but if it doesn't I would use fashion tape to be on the safe side. There are plenty of guides for how to use it on the internet and it's cheap and easy.

4. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You look great in your prom dress... I agree that you already have a very feminine shape. As for the dress falling ... adding a ribbon halter or tightening the top as much as possible are two pretty good ideas... even maybe similar colored ribbon spaghetti straps...