1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pro life vs pro choice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by maselalala, Aug 21, 2014.

?

pro life or pro choice

1. Pro-Life

15 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Pro-Choice

111 vote(s)
    88.1%
  1. Shadowstar1922

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you very much. I tried to keep my cool as best as I could, and I even think I got a lil too sassy but whatever. I broke it down! :lol:

2. Dakeli27

Should've worded it better. Of course they can, but some women are poor and alone, and know that they wouldn't be good parents and that their child would grow up impoverished, and decide to have an abortion.

#162 Dakeli27, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  3. Ryujin

I was being sarcastic :grin:
    Sorry if you couldn't tell, I fully agree with your point.

4. AlexTheGrey

I need to second this. I was trying to write up an argument as well, but I kept falling into the trap of wanting to shout through the computer...

Setting up a straw man scenario to discredit all abortion, and requiring that the woman is totally irrational in that scenario is not a good place to start, WooEEE.

5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason why the seed/fetus argument doesn't work is because if you take a seed out of the ground, you can still plant it somewhere else and it will grow. You can't do that with a fetus. Just saying.

6. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I understand the pro-life approach I think that it's the persons choice.

7. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am the youngest of four children. My mother had serious health issues as she suffered major damage to her heart from rheumatic fever when she was 19. After giving birth to my elder brother she was told she must not get pregnant again. When she fell pregnant with me her GP advised her to have a termination ( even though at that time it was illegal in New Zealand).

As someone who "should" have never existed , one might assume that I would be anti choice. I am not. I am glad to be alive, however, my mother should have had the right to a safe termination, free from judgement or threat of penalty. Yes, if she'd had one I would never have existed ( no, that small collection of cells was not "me" during the early part of her pregnancy, the consciousness which I became had not yet developed).

OK, some of you may say, "your mother's situation was 'different', she had a legitimate health reason for allowing pregnancy termination". I would say that you're missing the point. While I don't particularly like termination as a method of birth control ( my personal preference is for contraception over termination, with the obvious caveat that contraception, even if used , is not foolproof) the fact is that it's not my business. My personal preference is exactly that, it doesn't mean that I get to decide for other people.

I would have hoped that people would have moved past the belief that women are merely chattels or passive vessels for procreation. I firmly reject any notion that reduces women to mere breeding stock without the right to make their own choices....that's slavery, pure and simple.

8. Shadowstar1922

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, when you plant a seed. It usually starts growing. You know, sprouting out it's first stem and it crawls through the soil and up into the grass. The roots begin just barely expanding from the seed as the stem grows one or two plants to begin photosynthesis to make sugar. I rip the seed out at this moment. Maybe a couple days earlier, maybe a couple days after.

And I take this seed, with it's tiny stem and it's barely developed roots and I attempt to replant it after some time.

There is a huge chance that the tree seed will not return to it's process and continue to grow after it's been damaged.

So usually, you can't regrow a seed??

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, Shadowstar1922.

Thank you.

Even without the sapling analogy, he made valid points. Don't focus on just one little thing.

10. Shadowstar1922

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome! I too found it a little annoying how the only response I got was a nit pick.

11. Dakeli27

The sapling analogy was FINE. Just assume he doesn't replant the seed.
    Gaysibling, thank you for sharing your experience with is.

12. Beetle

Pro-choice. People shouldn't be forced to have unwanted children, especially if they wouldn't be able to care for them, and there are already too many children in foster care.

13. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No comment. I don't care enough about this issue to start a flame war.
    This site is lefter than Lenin sometimes; why make a poll with an obvious answer?