1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing for top surgery tips?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, May 14, 2019.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all, my top surgery is tentatively scheduled for May 21st - just one week away!

What are some tips for preparing for surgery and what should I pack for recovery?

2. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, congratulations!

In terms of preparation, there's not much other than what your surgeon tells you (i.e. using antibacterial soap the night before, stop taking advil, etc.). Fill your prescriptions. Where ever you plan on staying while you recover should be made accessible for limited movement, since you will probably be feeling tired, and everything you might need (drinks, food, medicine) should be no higher than about chest level since you won't be able to reach above shoulder height.
    I'd recommend packing wipes (you won't be able to shower for a while) and dry shampoo (but only if you have someone that can do it for you), button up shirts or zip-up hoodies/shirts, snacks that are easy to open (like a box of crackers) and little/no prep food (if you need to microwave, make sure you can reach it T-rex style or get a step stool), some form of entertainment (I took a laptop and watched a ton of movies, but this gets boring really quick, so if you have a short attention span, bring many things - books, games, unsolved mathematical theories), extension cords, some folks like bendy straws but in my experience a water bottle works fine too, blanket(s).

You may want to ask your surgeon what kinds of scar treatment they recommend and get those before surgery so that once the bandages come off, you can start applying creams. Make sure to keep scars out of the sun. Another thing I recommend is be cautious of your movements - I didn't realize how much you use your chest muscles for trivial things like getting on and off a bed or chair. Also, post-op depression is a thing, so if you are worried about this, I'd recommend talking to your doctor.

Good luck!

Kodo likes this.
  3. smurf

I have no tips, but so excited for you!! Thats amazing!

Kodo likes this.
  4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my top surgery is the day after tomorrow. I’ve packed a bunch of stuff people suggested to make recovery as easy as possible. I have a friend who will be helping me and I’ll be staying at a hotel for a couple weeks.

I was wondering though, what are some good things to do with my time while in recovery? I’ve heard of books, tv shows, movies, etc. Any suggestions for those would be awesome, but also any other ideas of what to do.

5. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if you are a Marvel fan, but the MCU has a lot of films you could watch. Once you've regained some energy, taking short walks would be a good idea. Even if it's just around the room it'll get your blood flowing.

When I was recovering, I read Peter Darling (interesting take, would recommend), watched some random comedies and horror films, played cards, and met with some childhood friends.

Maybe the entertainment forum would have some better suggestions?

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update:
    So I just got out of surgery this morning and am now at my hotel where I'll stay for a couple weeks.

It just feels unreal right now that I've actually had top surgery. It happened. After years of binding and dysphoria and it's gone now. While I am sore, I'm so happy right now and honestly kind of in shock with my new chest.

Thank you all for your advice, I'll definitely check out your suggestions.

BradThePug, Mihael and Flynn S like this.