1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing for top surgery (FtM)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by matt4907, Sep 20, 2018.

1. matt4907

matt4907 Guest

I have a question about how the therapist/hormone clinician letters work. I already got a letter from my therapist and I asked my surgeon's office if I needed one from the doctor that gives me T and they said that it's optional but not required. So I'm just wondering if there would be any advantages from having a letter from my doctor. If it's optional I don't see any reason why I would ask my doctor to do that unless it would affect me being eligible for surgery. And I already checked with my insurance company and they don't need either letter, they just need approval from my surgeon.

I'm just a little confused so if anyone has any experience with this that they would like to share, that would be greatly appreciated!

2. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only letter my surgeon/insurance company required was from my therapist. My hormone doctor wasn't involved at all. My regular doctor was, however, because I needed a clearance for surgery.

I don't think it would make any difference if you have a letter from your doctor unless your surgeon had some policy on how hormones should be administered before/during/after surgery, and even then, the doctor's letter still probably wouldn't have much use.