1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pot (Marijuana)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Monique_Massacre, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Nodnarb

Ok....I guess I'll throw a comment into this debate....

First of all, I don't use pot(nor will I ever). But, my (former) bestfriend does. Since he started, I've noticed a change in him. He isn't interested in the same things he used to be; instead of hanging out with me or our other friends he wants to be with the guys who smoke pot. He isn't as focused as he used to be...I mean, he was always a random person, but now he's just....different. We've really grown apart lately and I think that the pot played a huge part in that.

As for leagalizing it, I say no. Well, for medical purposes, thats fine. But for 'recreational' purposes, no. Surely you can find something better to do with your life than to smoke pot. But, I'm not going to sit here and preach about not doing drugs. If you want to, fine. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Also, those who say that it should be legalized because alcohol is; WHY?!? I guess I don't see the sense in legalizing something just because something that is just as bad is legal. That would just be doubling the problem....

2. Rette

Well, the point is that alcohol sets a precedent for legalization. It's more that we're pointing out a hypocrisy in the legal system.

3. pirateninja

Damn. And I thought I was being original :grin:

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Because being 15, you must have ALOT of driving experience ?

5. greg

Pot, grass,hash whatever you want to call it is a drug therefore it contains chemicals the most active of which is THC, it is a mind altering substance and for some but not all can cause risk taking and long term effects such as schizophrenia (whether cannabis causes mental health problems or brings on these problems which some people where pre disposed is still being debated) some people can use this drug without any obvious problems and others just fall in a heap. I myself did smoke heavily for a number of years up until about 22 years ago then decided just to stop it was easy to stop smoking dope then it is giving up cigs, in the last 2 years i have started smoking dope again and prob smoke at the most 1 joint a fortnight sometimes not having a smoke for up to 2 months, i dont crave it but that doesnt mean that someone else wont, it depends on their personality. I will add that i also took a lot of other drugs as well including LSD, speed, cocaine etc the list goes on. None of these i became adicted to, however the drug taking was used to mask a number of issues mainly my sexuality, and i believe that had i not taken these substances i probably would have been able to confront these issues earlier in my life. I am not going to say yes or no to in this case to the use of cannabis, however if i had the choice of taking drugs or not over again i wouldnt. Ask yourself a number of questions if you have a choice in taking drugs, do i need this? Is this going to improve my life? If you answer no then dont take the drug. Ask questions from people that are drug fucked and think is this what i want to be, its about you controlling your life not letting a drug controlling yours, ok i smoke dope but at the moment i believe that dope is not contrlling mine. greg

6. Étoile

Weed, marijuana, or whatever you want to call is bad for you. It changes you mentally. You might start doing things you wouldn't do if you didn't smoke weed. Plus, it leaves an awful smell on you and it makes your eyes look crazy. Because of the countless people that smoke in the bathrooms of my school, I know how weed affects people. It's really annoying to walk down the halls, esp. first thing in the morning, and have an entire hallway smell like weed and cologne (they try to cover up the smell with cologne but it only makes it worse). The reason why alcohol and cigarettes are legalized is because our economy has depended on it for so long. Ever since the days of colonial times, tobacco and alcohol have been huge successes and we just couldn't stop two markets that are so successful. Just look at when they put a ban on all alcoholic beverages in the 18th or 19th century. I would never drink or smoke, but I'm just saying stopping a market like that so suddenly is very dangerous to the economy.

Another reason why weed is bad for you is it can be the start of something terrible. People who smoke weed might want a better high, so they turn to estascy. They want an even better high, so they turn to crack or cocaine. Then it's heroin. You know what happens next? Death. If they're not afraid to do drugs, I'm certain they're not afraid to drink alcohol or cigarettes, so that may be a problem too. Now, this doesn't mean everyone who smokes weed will turn out like this, but it is a scary possiblity to think about.

7. Jerr

I actually lost trust in my former best friend. I've known him forever. He is 3 years older then me but he was my first friend and we were best friends for YEARS.

He got into drugs and I didn't. I let him because I knew the hours and hours of research he put into it before he did it. (There was no stopping him either way. All I could do was be sure he knew everything he could about it before he tried.)

Anyways... I found out hwy my mom was sooooo sure I did smoke pot...

She knew he was and he had been caught before... She told him one day that he needed to stop or she would tell his parents... He told her that wouldn't be cool because I smoked with him all the time...

BS!!!

I was THERE but I never smoked...

It changes people... His changes well... they were happening anyways but his desperation not to get caught brought him to a bad place...

8. Urman

Urman Guest

Re: pot

I would half to sort of disagree with you because you are having lack of air in your lungs and inhaling anything can cause harm to your body.But it is a good theory and im not 100% sure but i know it is the case with cigarettes i been there and done that and i quite because of the lack of oxygen that is getting to your body thats why i stopped-im a lifeguard and i also love to swim just a side note.

9. aTadInsane

aTadInsane Guest

Firsthand experience here, it can be a very bad thing. I used to smoke it with a group of people to escape from the pain of reality (fear of my father not accepting me mostly), and one time while I was high they took out some cocaine and offered it to me. If I would have been sober I would have said hell no, however I was high and thought "Ok, if it gives me an even better high I'll try it!" and I did. A couple hours later I felt really odd and took another hit. For four months I was addicted to cocaine before being able to stop myself. I haven't smoked pot since.

10. Urman

Urman Guest

yea its just a bad thing to get involved with i would try it once thought

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, first off, prohibition (country-wide in the US) was in the 20th century, not the 18th or 19th.

Second, if pot can function as a gateway drug, so can alcohol and who knows how many other prescription drugs. So really, not any different from any other drug that's legal or illegal.

But finally, I just have to shake my head in amazement that you think the legal status of tobacco and alcohol is acceptable because to criminalise them might harm the poor fragile economy. So... what? The economy is more important than people's health? Oh no... the big tobacco companies might suffer?!

What about when slavery was made illegal in the US. That had HUGE economic impacts (not to mention I believe they had some kind of little skirmish or two over it) but it was done nonetheless because it was believed to be the right thing to do.

I think you'd find that if pot had been legalised back when tobacco and alcohol were, you would be saying exactly the same thing about pot as you are about tobacco and alcohol, which has been the point of a lot of people who've commented on the thread. Basically, if you support the illegal status of pot, then you really need to support banning tobacco and alcohol to be logically consistent. And probably caffeine, too. But certainly alcohol and pot do not strike me as hugely different in their physical and mental consequences.

And again, I really wonder how many people understand how much money and effort is put into scaring people about pot, and how much of that is spun specifically to suit the US government's "war on drugs" policy.

With respect to why would people want to legalise pot just because tobacco and alcohol are legalised because isn't that just making the problem worse, well, no, it wouldn't be making the problem worse for the hundreds or thousands of people in jail because pot is illegal. I mean, fine, you want to collar the big bads, the huge suppliers, great. But there are plenty of people who have had their lives ruined by a pot-related criminal conviction who are not what I at least would call "hardened criminals" which society needs to be protected from by having them locked up.

And then finally, I'm sure regular use of pot does change people. But as the child of an alcoholic, I can assure you that regular use of alcohol changes people pretty severely too, and yet I don't see any governments pouring billions of dollars into campaigns to put the fear of god into people who think about drinking alcohol. So hopefully if nothing else this thread has made people think a little more critically about which agendas are at play in branding some things as dangerous and others as acceptable.

12. Jerr

Exactly!

TAXES!!!! Come on now. What is more taxed then Tobacco and Alcohol? I don't believe anything. Legalizing pot would be wonderful to tax... if pot wasn't incredibly easy to grow.

13. baileyh

baileyh Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pot is bad,it take your brain cells away.I lost a good friend,Micheal of mine 6 years ago due to the driver very high while driving.The guy who killed my friend is now serving a 35 year sentence for manslaughter and drug distribution attempting to sell,police found pot in the car the guy was driving.

14. wow you people are still on about this .. hmm wow .. look what i started ...............

15. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm so sorry to hear about that (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

16. nisomer

:eusa_clap Couldn't have said it better.

17. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

Re: pot

morphine is used in medicine, as is vicodin, percocet etc....essentially several opiate drugs are used medicinally. does that mean that opiates are safe for recreational use? absolutely not. heroin is an opiate FYI, my uncle died of an overdose.

as for marijuana, I do think it should be legal, although i do not smoke it. many people i know who smoke marijuana do it on the weekends and it is purely recreational. they say that one joint equals 4 cigarettes, and who knows if that is true. if it is true though, consider how many cigarettes people generally smoke per week versus joints...there is no comparison.

18. Nicknikko

Harmful or not... i'll try to never do it...

19. nisomer

haha thats what i used to always say... just wait for college....:icon_wink i used to think pot was so bad, but seriously once you do it, you realize its not half what you expected it to be...especially when comparing it to being drunk.

20. Chaos

I think smoking pot is fun. Me and my friends have good times drinking and smoking weed. We never pressure each other and we don't always do it. It's just recreational.

We're all working, we're all smart and we all have bright futures... So what if we get high? I know my limit and I stop. I haven't tried anything besides pot and I never will.

It's all about self control and how you use it. I never smoke too much nor do I plan on smoking it daily. I can have fun once in awhile... With or without pot and alcohol.

I don't think you should knock it until you've tried it, but then again their doesn't have to be a first time for everything and I respect those who don't want to try drugs and alcohol. Good for you, just don't judge everyone who uses it because some people smoke it responsibly.