1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pot (Marijuana)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Monique_Massacre, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Re: pot

i have heard of the consiquenes of drugs i just never heard of some one killing some one while on pot .. on meth yes on crack yes on other think\gs yes and i am not trying to sell it ..

2. dictionary

Re: pot

There are we have drug testing busses in Australia along side "booze" busses a recent survay stated people are more likley to drug drive than dink drive...

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have had to delete a couple of posts here. Please discuss the issues, and don't insult people you disagree with. Thanks.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

The Truth About Mariijuana

1) Marijuana is a green and brown mixture of dried, shredded flowers, buds, leaves, stems and seeds of the hemp plant or Cannabis Sativa.

2) Marijauna is actually an hallucinogenic drug. Marijuana use causes memory problems, distorted perceptions, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, loss of physical coordination, increased heart rate, increased appetite, panic attacks, fatigue, depression, anxiety, paranoia and possible psychosis.

3) Marijuana isn't harmless because it comes from a plant and is 100% natural. It causes changes in the brain similar to those caused by Cocaine, Heroin and Alcohol. Cocaine and Heroin are also obtained from plants (coca bush and poppy plant).

4) Marijuana is actually much stronger today than it was years ago and some strains have 3 to 5 times as much THC, the psycho-active component of the drug.

5) Marijuana is just as dangerous as cigarettes. It contains same cancer-causing chemicals as tobacco. Smoking 4 joints is equivalent to smoking an entire pack of cigarettes. The amount of tar and carbon monoxide inhaled by Marijuana smokers is 3 to 5 times greater than tobacco smokers.

6) Marijuana use impairs judegement. It affects your alertness, ability to concentrate, coordination, reaction time and the skills needed to drive. It is a significant factor in traffic crashes. Studies show that at least 15% of patients from car accidents had been smoking Marijuana and 17% had both Marijuana and Alcohol in their blood.

7) Marijuana use reduces inhibitions and is a contributor to risky sexual behavior that increases the likelihood of disease and unwanted pregnancy. Marijuana smokers are 5 times more likely to have sex and 4 times more likely to become pregnant or get someone pregnant.

8) Marijuana use is more likely to get you into trouble. Regular smokers are 3 times more likely to have suicidal thoughts, 4 times more likely to commit a violent act, and 5 times more likely to steal.

9) Recent studies released in 2005 indicate that teens who smoke Marijuana have double the risk of depression later in life and also have a greater risk of schizophrenia.

10) Marijuana is addictive. Users have withdrawal symptoms including drug cravings, decreased appetite, nervousness, irritability, stomach pain, aggression, anxiety, insomnia, and hyperactivity. More teens enter treatment for Marijuana addictions each year than all other illicit drugs combined.

To add to these facts, if you are GLBT you are more likely to have problems with drug abuse or have depression leading to suicidal thoughts which can be enhanced by drugs. Please guys, stay away from the drugs!!

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Thanks for finding and posting that, Becky.

(I've moved this thread into "Health and Well-being".)

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

From where? The Bush administration?

Yes, and alcohol can cause most of these.

Ah yes, similar to... alcohol! Which is totally legal once you're of a certain age and not subject to government scare campaigns and people who use it and sell it being imprisoned.

Don't have any info on this point but I'd love to know the source of those statistics. And I wonder what alcohol does to one's liver...

Hmmn... does all that JUST like alcohol.

Oh, I'm thinking overall alcohol use is a MUCH more common contributing factor to these issues than pot.

More likely to get you in trouble... than what? Not doing it? Than doing something "legal?"

And I'm pretty sure alcohol has the same effects here, certainly with respect to depression. I don't know re: schizophrenia although I can't imagine alcohol use/abuse HELPS schizophrenia.

Like... ALCOHOL addiction!

And hey if alcohol were "illicit," wonder if marijuana would still be the leader in that particular stat.

Yes, don't drink, too, because drinking is actually doing drugs.

I'm sure my point's pretty clear by now: even eschewing the legalised nature of alcohol, we allow people to do many, many dangerous things in life and don't label them "illicit," yet somehow pot is the Big Bad. I'm not saying doing pot doesn't have risks, but I, for one, do not think those let's call them "natural" risks (i.e. the risks from ingestion and not the risks from getting caught ingesting) are particularly worse than those for other activities which are totally legal.

The demonisation of pot in America and Canada has to be one of the worst examples of hypocrisy there is. Try spending all that anti-drug scare campaign money (and enforcement money) on, oh, I don't know... treatment for things that are REALLY threatening, like eating disorders, or poverty, or the lack of a good education, or healthcare!

7. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Pot is gross. It smells terrible when smoked and it WILL ruin your teeth if you do it long enough. And while marijuana is not as physically adictive as tabacco, a lot of people get addicted to pot because of the feeling it gives them. There is nothing more sad than a thirty year-old pothead with no teeth and yellow skin; I've seen it happen.

All of that being sad, I think it should be legalized. Set a reasonable age limit to have it (18) and let Uncle Sam tax the hell out of it. That would seriously decrease the amount of people who casually use it, while at the same time limiting the curiosity factor that marijuana's illegal status creates (many of the people I know who smoke pot do it because it's illegal and they think it's fun to break the law).

8. Hydrogen

I think I am joining in on this too late to really help much... but here goes.

I personally think pot, and a few other drugs should be legal, with much of the same guidelines as Alcohol and Tobacco.

I also want to thank Becky for posting the information she did, it is right on the money.

If you want to use pot, I have no problem with it until, it hurts other people. So like alcohol, you should not drive after taking a hit, should not be around kids, and should be prepared for anything stupid you do while high.

I don't know what this nonsense about it not being a drug because it is a plant, that is just simply false.

It is a drug, it causes adverse affects on the mind and body, and unless you are using it for uncontrollable cancer pain, I personally think there are better ways to spend your free time, or help you with the issues that are causing you to use pot.

9. TriBi

Speaking as someone who has smoked weed (a lot when I was young - tho' extremely rarely now - I value my fitness) every credible piece of information I have seen contains the same information as the article that Becky posted.

It is also well known that the higher concentrations of THC in modern day "hydro" weed make it far more potent and potentially dangerous than it used to be - and it is medically recognised to have the potential to cause psychosis in some (susceptible) people - as mentioned by another poster. Point is that people struggling with their sexuality are often more prone to depression etc...which puts them right into the high risk area of being one of those susceptible to such psychosis.

I think people should bear this in mind when posting their opinions - and, I'm sorry...but the old "Alcohol is legal, pot should be too" argument doesn't make any sense to me. Decriminalised, sure - and some of the potential medical uses investigated - but essentially saying that "we allow alcohol to harm people, so we should do the same for marijuana" really doesn't make a lot of sense to me these days.

10. 24601

I honestly don't care either way on this issue, and see the logic of comparing it to drinking alcohol. I guess people will do these things no matter what happens. But, in an ideal case, would the world have been better out without legalizing alcohol in the first place (~1039038 years ago... :lol:slight_smile:? I guess it's impossible to tell, and like I said, it would probably be similar, but some food for thought I guess. Too bad nothing's ever ideal.

Edit: TriBi's last point was basically what I was trying to say, but he said it much better.

#50 24601, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  11. Users have withdrawal symptoms including drug cravings, decreased appetite, nervousness, irritability, stomach pain, aggression, anxiety, insomnia, and hyperactivity. More teens enter treatment for Marijuana addictions each year than all other illicit drugs combined.
    that sounds more like meth to me ... i know what meth does cause my brother did it my brother also did pot lets see here
    meth mad him almost kill me and his baby
    pot made him lazy and eat alot
    meth made him cut himself open
    pot made him hungry and lazy
    meth made him almost shot his bestfriend and boyfriend in the head becous he though they were gonna take his drugs
    pot again lazy and hungry
    pot never made him violent
    meth did

oh yea pot also made him think every thing was funny
    meth made him think every thing was gonna take his drugs

#51 Monique_Massacre, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
  12. CrimsonThunder

Good post Becky!

13. nisomer

I think it's more of what the government should be allowed to control and what it shouldn't be allowed to control. Seeing as how alcohol falls basically into the same category as marijuana (with its side effects and such), then if alcohol is legal, then marijuana should also be legal.

In the House debate a couple years ago, there was a bill to ban internet gambling. People were saying that it's addictive, leads to debt, damages families, etc...

Barney Frank, D-Mass, the first openly gay man in congress said this:

"We ought to say that if you decide with your own money, to engage in an activity that harms no one else, you ought to be allowed to do it! [...Some people] don't like it. Well fine, then don't do it. But don't prohibit other individuals from engaging in it. People are saying, 'what's the value?' Here's the value: some human beings enjoy doing it. Shouldn't that be our principle? If individuals like doing something and they harm no one, we will allow them to do it even when other people disapprove of what they do?" (link)

It's about the 1st Amendment folks. We have the freedom to choose what we want to do with our lives, especially when there are much worse things out there that ARE legal.

#53 nisomer, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  14. THANK YOU OMG SOME ONE GETS IT

15. CrimsonThunder

Gambling hurts your family and friends.

Smoking marijuana hurts your family and friends. And kills people.

Gambling > Marijuana.

Drugs are bad... mmmmkay

16. gambling can kill people too

17. CrimsonThunder

I highly doubt that... Unless of course they spend all their money on the pokes thus have no funds to spend on food. But thats just being crazy. XD

18. ok let me reword that gambling can get people killed
    if they gamble and dont have the money to pay they could get killed

19. CrimsonThunder

Maybe in America... But I would never think of that happening. Borrowing money from the Mafia... lol

20. i never said shit about the mofia who the hell said any thing about the mofia what the hell some guy here got killed because he gambles and he didnt have the money to pay so this woman killed him shot him in the head she wasnt part of the mofia she just didnt get her money