1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post surgical loss of sensitivity and depression?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Danabutton, May 10, 2020.

?

Is the bellybutton an erogenous zone

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to apologize if this is long winded and rambling but I do appreciate all of the support I have received since becoming a member on this site....
    I had to undergo surgery for removal of my gallbladder as well as umbilical hernia repair this past November. The procedure was done laparoscopically and was not without some noted complications. What was originally supposed to be a 45-60 minute procedure became a 90 minute one...
    Some background, I have had a lifelong attachment to my bellybutton since I can remember. It was an outie up until I was maybe 13-14 when it inverted on its own. So while it was more then likely herniated since birth, I thought it had resolved itself on its own so I was surprised when my surgeon told me during my preopp that my bellybutton was herniated and that he would repair it after my gallbladder was removed as it would be the primary incision site.
    I didn’t think much at the time and looking back, I wish I would have asked more questions. However, as I was just beginning my acceptance of myself at this time, I did not express my concerns. I was unaware that my bellybutton would actually be completely reconstructed and that according to some research I had done since having my surgery, I could have requested having it look a certain way. I guess I took for granted that it would be restored to its original appearance (an oval shape with a vertical cleft dividing it in half)....when it was an outie it looked like a coffee bean.
    After the surgery, I had never experienced as much pain in my life, I felt as I was being repeatedly stabbed in my stomach. I was horrified at how my stomach and bellybutton looked afterwards as it was a shapeless hole. I was assured when I was discharged that it would look normal within a month after the swelling and surgical glue and sutures dissolved.
    Today, it does not look like the oval innie that adorned my stomach but rather the tied off end of a balloon. The surrounding area around my bellybutton feels like a hard circle(like the ring of a tied off balloon).
    Appearances aside, I noticed that it lost about 25% of its sensitivity. I guess to make a long story short, my bellybutton was one of my most sensitive areas and I feel as though I have lost a part of my sexuality in the process...
    Thanks for the opportunity to vent....

gravechild likes this.
  2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is definitely one of the issues with surgeons. They tend to lose perspective on it being a person that they're working on and not just an assembly line, and don't really think to ask about specific things people might want like this situation. To me it kind of sounds like the surgeon just isn't very good at reconstructive procedures, so while he did the technical aspect of removing the hernia perfectly fine, he didn't know how to repair it aesthetically. The loss of sensitivity is pretty normal after any surgery, but the best surgeons can usually find ways to mitigate it.

Danabutton likes this.
  3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is one of my worst fears. I've a bit of a navel fetish, and its definitely a part I love paid attention to. If I woke up from surgery only to find out it not only looked different, but lost sensitivity... well, it would be a major blow.

Danabutton likes this.
  4. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the response,
    As strange as it sounds; I feel I lost a part of my identity as far as a sexual being in the process....maybe I’m just guilty of navel gazing

#4 Danabutton, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    gravechild likes this.