1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly a stupid question about job hunting

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This might be a dumb question but I've only had one job before; my current job so I'm not sure how everything works. I got my job by applying to one of those help wanted ads. But I wanted to know if you can just apply without a help wanted ad? Like even if the company doesn't say they need anyone? Is there any point?

I want to leave my current job because the hours and pay aren't that good. They used to be alright but our hours got cut back a few months ago so a lot of my coworkers and I literally only get a shift per week. I'm over it, I want to be able to move out since I'm 18 and I don't want to live with my parents forever lol.

So I'm going to go back to community college, I'm going to be a youth worker. Maybe. The course requires you complete 100 hours of work placement and I want to do that first because I feel like maybe I'm not cut out to be a youth worker. But I thought I might like to just do office or administrative work in the meantime…like at a youth counseling service or an alternative learning program, because I feel like it'd be a good start until I do my work placement.

I haven't seen any help wanted ads for this type of work so I wanted to know if it's okay to send in my resume anyway? I don't want to be a bother but I've also been told that not all companies use help wanted ads so maybe if I sent in my resume I'd actually get the job?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work in HR/talent acquisition. There's really two ways to get jobs. One is through responding to postings on places like LinkedIn, Indeed, Careerbuilder, or on the website of the company directly if they have a careers page. The other is through networking. If you're talking to someone and they mention that their company could use someone like you, follow up by sending them your resume.

If you just send in a resume unsolicited when there's no clear job posting, odds are it will get deleted. I wouldn't spend my energy on that.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Submitting resumes to potential employers without having an insight as to whether they have a position available can be quite ineffective. They might just ignore it or discard it as usually employers are looking at specific skills, qualifications when filling a position. Chances are that you would need to submit a generic resume, which might not provide an employer with information, they would be looking for.

You have identified a place where you could see yourself working already, but I wonder, are there other places as well? Once you have a few, it would be good to contact them and ask if someone would be available to meet with you for an informational interview.

The other option you could pursue is to start volunteering with an organisation as an office/administrative person and through that find out if there are places that are looking for office staff. Often times, organisations, especially smaller organisations, will start the hiring process from within or they ask others who they know and/or trust for a referral. Volunteering could help you to get a foot into the door.

Also, when you think about becoming a Youth Worker, how do you feel about it? Reading over your post, it doesn't sound like it that you are entierly sure it is something you see yourself in.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think slightly differently to the posters above.
    If you know a place or organisation you want to work for, it would show some initiative if you approach them direct. Even if they are not advertising.
    They would be impressed by your single mindedness and you might just click with whoever reads your application.
    The odds are low, but if you can get the attention of the right person you might just get lucky !

Rachel9245 likes this.
  5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would not send in a resume, but I would physically show up at the place and talk to someone there. Do a little research on the company so you can hit a few points about why you would like to work there. Express interest in the company and ask if they might have openings in the near future.

But just sending in resumes with nothing else will not really get you anywhere.

6. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most community colleges have career centers that can help you explore job resources, so start there. They may have some assessment tools to help you figure out which career path you are well-suited for.

Identify some places you’d like to work and try contacting them and explaining that you’re thinking about going to school to become a youth worker and wondered if you could talk to anyone in the field about their experiences. Don’t ask for a job, but express genuine interest and learn from them to make sure it seems like a good option to pursue. Ask for advice on getting started in entry-level positions.

If you can afford to volunteer or intern that’s a great way to get to know people and find out if you like the organization and job field.

7. Ahlalondit

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you know which company you want to work, then taking the initiative even without published vacancies can be a separate plus.