1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positive life stuff adds to pressure and anxiety

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ljjgreat2017, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello EC,

I've been dealing with this for a while. I hate that its hard for me to feel joy, excitement, and happiness whenever people bring up my accomplishments and the good things about me. Whenever people bring these up, it only adds to the pressure and anxiety that I already deal with. its so fucking frustrating. why cant I feel joy and happy when people bring these up? Good times add to the pressure and anxiety as well.

Please help. I'm desperate for answers.

Am I the only one who is dealing with this? Advice? Input? Please help me.

2. Jamie92203

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your not the only one I feel that all the time.

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it sounds like people hold you to a high standard, and want you to lead by example, it can happen when your ambitions start to become noticeable. you'll feel pressured the more you start to notice, maybe you're not used to feeling that type of way.

4. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Compliments can make me feel more anxious because it makes me feel that people expect more of me, and that puts pressure on me.

I'm good looking, so I should have a nice boyfriend. why haven't I got a nice boyfriend yet? I must be doing something wrong, and if I don't act on it fast, then I'll be a lonely old man forever.
    Just let me enjoy being single.

I'm a hard worker, so I should be in management. Why have I not taken a promotion yet? am I being lazy? Taking the easy rout? Not fulfilling my full potential? If I'm not making the most of the job that I'm in maybe I should just quit and go back to living off mum and dad.
    Just let me be happy with the role I'm in.

It may be that some people can see a bigger picture for me, but they don't know what kind of inner struggles I've had to deal with and they don't know how far I've come to get where I am today, and they don't know how easily I can become discouraged and get knocked off track and lose my confidence all over again. That's why I don't like to make a big fuss over others, even if I do feel a lot of admiration for them. If you put someone on a pedestal they haven't asked for, they can easily fall off. You can respect others and appreciate them without heaping praise on them.