1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Pope says homosexuality not a crime

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Incoming, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    EXCERPT -

[... Francis said there needed to be a distinction between a crime and a sin with regard to homosexuality. Church teaching holds that homosexual acts are sinful, or “intrinsically disordered,” but that gay people must be treated with dignity and respect.

Bantering with himself, Francis articulated the position: “It’s not a crime. Yes, but it’s a sin. Fine, but first let’s distinguish between a sin and a crime.”

“It’s also a sin to lack charity with one another,” he added. ]

So the Pope still describes homosexuality as a "sin" - no surprise there, you can only expect the Catholic establishment to go so far. But he then describes sin in very human terms - if it's a sin to lack charity to others, then aren't we all sinful, more or less ?

Overall this seems like a happy development, since the church could just as easily be led by a man stating that gays and other non-heteros should be persecuted or exorcised.

https://apnews.com/article/pope-francis-gay-rights-ap-interview-1359756ae22f27f87c1d4d6b9c8ce212

The AP Interview: Pope says homosexuality not a crime
    25 January 2023
    VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis criticized laws that criminalize homosexuality as “unjust,” saying God loves all his children just as they are and called on Catholic bishops who support the laws to welcome LGBTQ people into the church.

“Being homosexual isn’t a crime,” Francis said during an exclusive interview Tuesday with The Associated Press.

Francis acknowledged that Catholic bishops in some parts of the world support laws that criminalize homosexuality or discriminate against LGBTQ people, and he himself referred to the issue in terms of “sin.” But he attributed such attitudes to cultural backgrounds, and said bishops in particular need to undergo a process of change to recognize the dignity of everyone.

“These bishops have to have a process of conversion,” he said, adding that they should apply “tenderness, please, as God has for each one of us.”

Francis’ comments, which were hailed by gay rights advocates as a milestone, are the first uttered by a pope about such laws. But they are also consistent with his overall approach to LGBTQ people and belief that the Catholic Church should welcome everyone and not discriminate.

Some 67 countries or jurisdictions worldwide criminalize consensual same-sex sexual activity, 11 of which can or do impose the death penalty, according to The Human Dignity Trust, which works to end such laws. Experts say even where the laws are not enforced, they contribute to harassment, stigmatization and violence against LGBTQ people.

In the U.S., more than a dozen states still have anti-sodomy laws on the books, despite a 2003 Supreme Court ruling declaring them unconstitutional. Gay rights advocates say the antiquated laws are used to justify harassment, and point to new legislation, such as the “Don’t say gay” law in Florida, which forbids instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade, as evidence of continued efforts to marginalize LGBTQ people.

The United Nations has repeatedly called for an end to laws criminalizing homosexuality outright, saying they violate rights to privacy and freedom from discrimination and are a breach of countries’ obligations under international law to protect the human rights of all people, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Declaring such laws “unjust,” Francis said the Catholic Church can and should work to put an end to them. “It must do this. It must do this,” he said.

Francis quoted the Catechism of the Catholic Church in saying gay people must be welcomed and respected, and should not be marginalized or discriminated against.

“We are all children of God, and God loves us as we are and for the strength that each of us fights for our dignity,” Francis said, speaking to the AP in the Vatican hotel where he lives.

Francis’ remarks come ahead of a trip to Africa, where such laws are common, as they are in the Middle East. Many date from British colonial times or are inspired by Islamic law. Some Catholic bishops have strongly upheld them as consistent with Vatican teaching, while others have called for them to be overturned as a violation of basic human dignity.

In 2019, Francis had been expected to issue a statement opposing criminalization of homosexuality during a meeting with human rights groups that conducted research into the effects of such laws and so-called “conversion therapies.”

In the end, after word of the audience leaked, the pope didn’t meet with the groups. Instead, the Vatican No. 2 did and reaffirmed “the dignity of every human person and against every form of violence.”

There was no indication that Francis spoke out about such laws now because his more conservative predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, recently died. The issue had never been raised in an interview, but Francis willingly responded, citing even the statistics about the number of countries where homosexuality is criminalized.

On Tuesday, Francis said there needed to be a distinction between a crime and a sin with regard to homosexuality. Church teaching holds that homosexual acts are sinful, or “intrinsically disordered,” but that gay people must be treated with dignity and respect.

Bantering with himself, Francis articulated the position: “It’s not a crime. Yes, but it’s a sin. Fine, but first let’s distinguish between a sin and a crime.”

“It’s also a sin to lack charity with one another,” he added.

Francis has not changed the church’s teaching, which has long riled gay Catholics. But he has made reaching out to LGBTQ people a hallmark of his papacy.

The pope’s comments didn’t specifically address transgender or nonbinary people, just homosexuality, but advocates of greater LGBTQ inclusion in the Catholic Church hailed the pope’s comments as a momentous advance.

“His historic statement should send a message to world leaders and millions of Catholics around the world: LGBTQ people deserve to live in a world without violence and condemnation, and more kindness and understanding,” said Sarah Kate Ellis, president and CEO of the U.S.-based advocacy group GLAAD.

New Ways Ministry, a Catholic LGBTQ advocacy group, said the church hierarchy’s silence on such laws until now had had devastating effects, perpetuating such policies and fueling violent rhetoric against LGBTQ people.

“The pope is reminding the church that the way people treat one another in the social world is of much greater moral importance than what people may possibly do in the privacy of a bedroom,” the group’s executive director, Francis DeBernardo, said in a statement.

One of the cardinals recently appointed by the pope – Robert McElroy, the bishop of San Diego -- is among those Catholics who would like the church to go further, and fully welcome LGBTQ people into the church even if they are sexually active.

“It is a demonic mystery of the human soul why so many men and women have a profound and visceral animus toward members of the L.G.B.T. communities,” McElroy wrote Tuesday in the Jesuit magazine America. “The church’s primary witness in the face of this bigotry must be one of embrace rather than distance or condemnation.”

Starting with his famous 2013 declaration, “Who am I to judge?” — when he was asked about a purportedly gay priest — Francis has gone on to minister repeatedly and publicly to the gay and transgender communities. As archbishop of Buenos Aires, he favored granting legal protections to same-sex couples as an alternative to endorsing gay marriage, which Catholic doctrine forbids.

Despite such outreach, Francis was criticized by the Catholic gay community for a 2021 decree from the Vatican’s doctrine office that said the church cannot bless same-sex unions.

In 2008, the Vatican declined to sign onto a U.N. declaration that called for the decriminalization of homosexuality, complaining the text went beyond the original scope. In a statement at the time, the Vatican urged countries to avoid “unjust discrimination” against gay people and end penalties against them.

#1 Incoming, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  2. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whats everyone's opinions on this ?

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought the Catholic stance was it's not sin unless a person thinks about, gets off or is sexual with the same gender. Or is it they have to be celibate and keep repenting until death in order to be forgiven?

Either way I reject it since those beliefs cause so much suffering to real people alive today and in the past. I decree that all Kinsey numbers and gender identity or none of the above, are all valid and wonderful. Everyone shall be authentic whenever they want w/o repercussion or side eye. More people than ever will have what they need to self actualize and spread the love even further. Let's get the virtuous cycle going in a way that might actually work.

The old way of expecting and forcing everyone to conform to a few basic human types never really worked for good mental health. We've known this for a long time yet too many people keep insisting on doing it the same way. This keeps us in the cycle of despair, scarcity, not enough, etc. which causes more health issues and the cycle of dysfunction keeps going. People here though are trying their butts off to get better, to be kinder to self and others, yet somehow we're still the bad people? No, we are not, look at all the love spread around here and tell me that's not good and wonderful. We spread kindness to others irl too when we feel good and give others grace as we all need in life.

#3 mnguy, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have somewhat made peace with the fact that this is as far in our favor as the Pope might be able to go. Even if he might want to say and believe that there's literally nothing wrong with being gay (let's just start there), he's already gotten a huge amount of pushback and probably threats to his life for even suggesting that being gay isn't so bad. This man has a lot of influence, positive and negative. Say that he gets assassinated. Who's to say that the next Pope will continue this torch-carrying, and he won't just cross out the "gay isn't bad" part? I don't say this to fearmonger, but rather to put into perspective how lucky we are right now for this. We didn't even bank on it in the first place.

The other side of this coin is that we still have many politicians from all over the globe who want us dead, or criminalized. Many of whom are very religious, or tie their politics to religion. Even in the US. Even in the UK. Even in whatever country you think is the most progressive, there are still many people who just want to get rid of us because in their eyes, we don't fit their religion, never mind what the doctrine of forgiveness is about. I've known gay pastors who were excommunicated over this, and it wasn't very long ago. There are still entire areas of Christianity that preach in their sermons about how vicious and vile we are, and how we want to molest kids or do whatever awful things. Catholicism - which holds sway over a very large amount of this planet - was one of these, as well. It's slowly becoming less hateful. Would Pope Francis going "LGBT people are all cool and not sinning actually" change much of that? Eeehhhhh, I don't know. I have my doubts.

I'm usually not a "baby steps" kind of person, but I do think it's working here.

5. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Will it ever be not considered a sin ?

6. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Considering that this is an institution so conservative that it only admitted its mistake about Galileo in the 1990s, I suppose we should congratulate it for minuscule steps in the right direction.

Beth

7. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably not. If sin didn't exist, who would need forgiveness, or a church ?

The Catholic church is remarkable in the way that it encourages its members to become aware of their guilt (real or imagined) - and then offers religious solutions to resolve that guilt. In the process the members become bound to the church and its rituals.

I'm not judging Catholicism or any other religion on this matter. It's for individuals to decide what suits them. But when churches meddle in politics, or human rights, then outsiders have a right to enter the conversation.

8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't care what any pope says as I know more about what I need than they ever could. This one has been better it sounds, but before him, somewhere I heard simply being gay wasn't a sin. Maybe it was an alternative Catholic group or just one priest in the US so it wasn't official. Regardless it's just as sinful as being left handed or having red hair lol

9. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    “It’s not a crime. Yes, but it’s a sin." - Pope Francis

Until they say it's not a sin, for me it's not a significant advance.

Fourtunately, he emphasises that it's not a crime. This is important, because there are countries and religions which have a different opinion on this matter.

I just want to add that the Bible says: "We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them." - First Epistle of John, Chapter 4, Verse 6. For me, this means that if you are good person, God loves you no matter what. I'm not a religious person, but I just wanted to show the contradiction.

10. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess the Vatican is no longer the crime capital of the world.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They are too puritanical and it's just not Catholics. Many Protestant religions have different factions within them and some have become strained with infighting. I keep seeing articles on this. There's no sense in talking about evangelical Christians. We know where that usually goes.

I believe that it's only certain congregations and certain priests that say homosexuality is not a sin. Most of the congregations and priests still think it is. If someone wants to belong, they just have to find those congregations and they're usually in bigger cities. The problem is that the church has already alienated so many people and they won't be coming back.

It's hard to see this kind of thinking continue. It is like what you said - being left handed or having red hair. If a teenager has a wet dream and it has homosexual content, does he or she need to repent about that, too?

Isn't that the truth? Witty comment, by the way. It seems like the priests and pastors who are the most homophobic and spew the most hate are also most likely to be hiding something. They'd rather be providing guidance to an axe murderer than to an LGBT person. I'm just using that as an example. Someone I know said this about his battles with both drinking and sexuality, and he belonged to support groups for both.

Ratzinger was a big step back for the Catholic church. Francis seems to be trying to push acceptance and tolerance in the other direction. He will stay within the bounds of what the church has always thought, on a broader scale, and won't reinvent the wheel. But Francis seems to have more of a heart than Ratzinger, who was a by the book leader with not much charisma.

12. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bravo. Could St Peters be the world's biggest gay mafia ? (The gay part is OK...)

Came across the following headline today and remembered this ludicrous detail about Galileo ... The Salem witch trials weren't Catholic-instigated but the Inquisition comes close enough...

Connecticut may exonerate accused witches centuries later

https://apnews.com/article/politics...assachusetts-9a85bbfc5b8726d729d66c243cb10f15

#12 Incoming, Feb 1, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  13. Loves books

It’s actually fine to be gay if you’re Catholic, you just can’t act on it. I think it leads back to no sex before marriage and sex is for reproduction only. The Catholic Church won’t perform gay marriage so gay people won’t ever be married in the eyes of the church. But who even listens to the pope these days. A couple of popes back one of them was against Harry Potter. Something along the lines of encouraging witchcraft for children. If you didn’t listen to the Harry Potter hating pope why pay much attention to the current one. My church going Catholic mother didn’t ban Harry Potter and I’m pretty sure she’s not homophobic.