1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Pope Francis’s edict on climate change

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by all paths, Dec 27, 2014.

1. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pope Francis’s edict on climate change will anger deniers and US churches

In recent months, the pope has argued for a radical new financial and economic system to avoid human inequality and ecological devastation. In October he told a meeting of Latin American and Asian landless peasants and other social movements: “An economic system centred on the god of money needs to plunder nature to sustain the frenetic rhythm of consumption that is inherent to it.

“The system continues unchanged, since what dominates are the dynamics of an economy and a finance that are lacking in ethics. It is no longer man who commands, but money. Cash commands.

“The monopolising of lands, deforestation, the appropriation of water, inadequate agro-toxics are some of the evils that tear man from the land of his birth. Climate change, the loss of biodiversity and deforestation are already showing their devastating effects in the great cataclysms we witness,”
    he said.

I really like this guy. :kiss:

2. Stripe101

I sincerely believe that the Vatican is going to have this man assassinated.

3. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    xD LOL

(I hope not)

4. Silver Springs

Papa Francisco makes me so proud to be Catholic! In fairness though, I always loved Benedict and St John Paul the Great. Who was actually really really really handsome when he was a young priest... gotta love the Poles.

My favourite Benedict XVI quote was similar. "The external deserts in the world are growing, because the internal deserts have become so vast. Therefore the earth’s treasures no longer serve to build God’s garden for all to live in, but they have been made to serve the powers of exploitation and destruction.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to lie, I wasn't happy to hear when he was elected Pope, mainly due to his previous views on LGBTQ people. But so far, I'd have to say he has impressed me a lot. It still won't stop me from being an atheist, but it sure is nice to see a well needed change from Pope Benedict XVI. If he changes his views on gay marriage, it would be perfect.

6. ChameleonSoul

My grandparents are going to have a field day when they hear this!

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like that he is targeting the economic system that underlies the plunder of our resources, that is a very important fact to state. It's the general problem of the money question in our society, having taken over practically everything we do. I know it's hard to believe, but it wasn't always like this.

From a religious perspective, he is stating that money has become the dominant force in our lives and it permeates everything from religion to art to politics (certainly the Vatican itself has its issues with money and politics). That we have forgotten that money's proper place is secondary, highlights the need to return to considering the value of ideas and of our higher ideals.

A quote from the German-Jewish author, Heinrich Heine:

Heine criticized Germany for continuing the anachronism of trying to complete in his day the cathedral in Cologne, but he understood also that a world of mere opinions will not change anything. Our universities have become havens of opinion without conviction, nothing will change until people put ideas and ideals before money.

8. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I usually pay no attention to the Pope but I keep hearing a lot of good from this one.

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Great quote... From a great man.

As far as I'm concerned the actual Pope seems to have a lot of liberal opinions, which is good... To make the public opinion like you.
    I have no idea about his convictions, I don't know him, and to be honest I'm not interested.