1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by I am here, Jun 17, 2017.

1. I am here

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I apologise in advance for the length of this post. Im just after a bit of advice or anyhting yoy can offer me please.

I've briefly mentioned before how my catalyst is my sons teacher and we've actually developed a friendship over the past couple of years. She has a long term partner and as i said, she's my kids teacher so it's not going to happen BUT i have to see her every week. I can't cut off ties, i have to act like I'm not dying inside every time i see her.

I've tried pulling back numerous times, keep to pleasantries but she will literally chase me up and talk to me. Just yesterday she went so badly out of her way to say hi to me, i wasn't even in the gate and she was headed in the other direction and she slammed on the breaks to speak with me and i couldn't even hear her properly because i was that far away, then she followed me outside while i was getting my sons bag, there's no escaping it.

We discuss very personal things and both share mental health issues that we discuss. I find it so hard because i know so much about her, even the fact she's gay as she's not out at school. She will always say things like "oh you just understand me" and "looking at you is like looking at myself in the mirror" etc. She's told me things she hasn't told people in her life and then reports back how much I've helped her and stuff....it's just excruciating and obviously she sees me as different to all the other mums as she knows I'm not straight and she can be herself around me but she will be my sons teacher for another 18 months and i don't know how I'm going to survive? I'm at a loss.

I've started seeing a girl who i enjoy spending time with very much, but i don't get feelings quickly and i realise it's the beginning and feelings will possibly develop further but how am i meant to allow them to if i have feelings for someone completely unattainable? Someone i can't avoid? I have absolutely no hope with this teacher and i know nothing will ever happen and i want nothing more than to move on but i fear i am using this other girl, even though i truly do like her... i can't spend the next 18 months feeling like this and i really think there's a possibility i will because I've had feelings for the teacher for two years already.

I'm actually at the point where I'm considering writing this teacher a letter and confessing my feelings with no hope or agenda, and explaining that i need to pull back and stop the personal conversations? The fact I'm even considering this shows how desperate i am because the thought of making myself so vulnerable and raw makes me feel sick but I'm not sure what else to do?

Please, is there anything anyone can suggest? I need help. I'm going out of my mind. I don't want to deal with this anymore. It's absolute torture!

Thanks everyone x

2. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OMG, I'm sooooooooo sorry! That. Sounds. Painful.

The letter might have to be it. As hard as it will be. But, I can't really offer any better advice other than to be good to yourself. You didn't ask for this, and you didn't do anything wrong! Why are some people so damn clueless?! My therapist says it's a really good thing that we can't read one another's minds, but some days I wish people could so I could be spared saying anything.

Just so you don't feel alone... I'm madly in love right now. And though the woman is single, I can't tell at all if she's even a smidgen gay. And I haven't been able to work into our conversations that I'm gay. And I'm terrified. We have become fast friends over the past month. We are bonding over some shared experiences, but dating and sexuality has NOT come up yet. I'm terrified to let her know I'm gay because then I'm afraid my feelings for her would be totally obvious and she would pull away from me. I'd rather have her as a friend than not at all. In the meantime, I see her every day when we drop off our kids at school in the morning, we walk together, have coffee together, she texts me little cute messages throughout the day. It's KILLING ME! Yesterday she texted to ask me if we could go for a long walk in the park without the kids on Sunday. WHAT? I'm totally panicked. Whenever I see her, it's like everything else in the world fades to black, and I just want to lie down on the ground and die.

This love thing... it's amazing anyone gets out of it in one piece. Like I said, be good to yourself. It's so intense, and we absolutely have no control over it.

3. I am here

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your reply. I'm coming to the conclusion that telling her may be my only option so that i have the chance to pull back without been chased up. I can't believe I'm at this point. My head is a mess. Even though i know i have no chance, i can't let go and every week the wound just gets reopened when i see her. I met her partner the other week in our cafe we go to, the teacher wasn't there but the owner of the cafe said my name as i walked in and her partner heard and came and introduced herself to me and told me she had heard all about me and it was nice to put a face to the name. We chatted for about 10 minutes and the whole time i wanted to die. Then at school the following week, the teacher said her partner had mentioned that I'm exactly as she had imagined I'd be, really cool, young and awesome clothes etc. All nice stuff but I'm there thinking- why has she imagined me, why does she know about me, what else does she know? Does she know that i like her partner? Etc etc. It's literally driving me mad, every aspect of this thing.

Love is so complicated. I understand why you'd be feeling nervous about telling your friend you're gay, it could completely change the dynamic of your relationship. In saying that, it could be a great thing, she could feel the same way. I reckon a long walk sounds like the perfect time to put the feelers out and drop into the conversation that you're gay. In my experience, anyone that I've told my sexuality to, haven't automatically assumed I'm into them, so it's quite possible she won't either. You're friends and sharing things is what you do with friends

4. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally relate to the panic and the madness. I can't stop THINKING!!! I'm so sorry that this has been going on so long, and you are just stuck in a loop with this situation. It happens! But yeah, if you don't see any way it's just going to naturally come to an end until 18 months from now, Jesus, you'd better do something. I think the fact that they are talking about you and how cool, young, and awesome you are and that your wardrobe is on point is too much. Of course you are a mess!

I'd better do something too, though my therapist says that me being gay is going to be such a non-issue to this woman, that I should just go with the flow. It's only been one month. We are getting closer, so it might just come up naturally. Therapist worries that if I make it like a big awkward declaration, THEN it will make the friendship difficult, but if it just comes out non-chalantly in the course of conversation, it will all be fine. Because I'm so new at this, she thinks I should just relax. She thinks I'm treating my gayness like it's some incurable disease, haha. But it's easy for her to tell me to relax! I'm a hot mess! The other day, V (my crush) texted me to say she'd like me to spend a weekend with her at her parents' beach house in August. Again, WHAT?! I'm going to just die. Can you imagine? Such a disaster. Haha.

5. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    By the way, how old are you?

6. I am here

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so glad you understand the madness, I mean I've spoken to a couple of friends about it and they sympathise but they just don't completely get it. They don't get the complete agony. And i feel so pathetic even saying that but it's what it feels like. Ok, I'm so glad I'm not the only one thinking that the fact they speak about me is a touch too much. I start to think I'm overanalysing and being paranoid.

I'm 29 by the way, not super young but younger than a lot of parents i suppose.

I totally agree with your therapist, it doesn't have to be some huge declaration, i think because you feel how you do, it feels like some big secret that you're not telling but in reality, it doesn't have to be blurted out straight away. It will come out naturally. I find for myself, and maybe you feel similar, that there is this asssumption because we have kids what we are straight and so i do often feel the need to correct peoples assumptions pretty early on. But as your therapist said, people can't read minds, your friend doesn't know of your feelings and this huge thing to you will no doubt be a non issue for her.
    Thank god for therapists hey? I would be even more of a mess without mine!
    It's sunday where i am, so have you had your walk yet? You'll have to let me know how it goes.

7. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are obviously a hopeless romantic. Not everyone is like us.

V (my crush) texted me earlier to say her ex-husband bailed out on taking the kids, so she sadly wouldn't be free in the morning after all.

I thought I wouldn't see her today, but she told me her mom was watching her kids tonight so she could go to a party. I didn't know what time the party was at, and I didn't know what block V lives on, but right around 8pm, I decided to walk my dog and go up the street I *thought* she lived on. I thought I might just get lucky and see her heading out. I'm a stalker!

Anyway, sure enough, I'm walking along, and I see a woman with long blonde hair sitting on some building's front steps railing. I was approaching from behind, and I thought to myself, "it would be so crazy if that were V." I passed, turned around, and sure enough, it was her. She looked really sad and overwrought sitting there smoking a cigarette -- sexy as hell.

I called out to her and walked up to her and her face totally lit up when she saw me. She told me she was feeling really guilty about leaving the kids because they begged her not to go, and she was just sitting there getting herself together... not even feeling like going out. I told her that she deserved to go have some fun, and that we can't just live our lives for our children... that we have to figure out some ways to make ourselves happy. (She and I are both recently separated from our kids' dads.) She asked me to walk her to the party, and I did.

We had a really nice talk and stood outside the party a long time before she finally decided she had to go in. She was so sweet... told me that running into me had been the best thing that happened to her all day, and that talking to me always helps. At some point in the conversation I told her I thought she was like 10 years younger than me, and she told me that no, she is 40 (just 3 years younger). She thanked me profusely, said I'm her best friend, and walked holding my arm for a little while after that.

We have such a great connection... and all these magical things keep happening. I still think she's straight, but I was really pouring on the hints tonight. I hope she can just tell what's up. It's going to get super obvious if it isn't already.

It's so hard for me to just enjoy the fact that she obviously likes me. She's the kind of girl I always wanted so badly to like me. I didn't know why when I was younger, but now it's like my dream come true for a woman like her to seek me out, talk to me earnestly, show so much interest in me. I still don't think she's "into me like that", but even so, it's so nice to have connected with her. I wish I didn't feel so overwrought about it and could just enjoy it for whatever it is and for however long it lasts. SIGH...

8. Really

Omg, RJay!

Who are going to play you and V in the movie?

idsm likes this.
  9. I am here

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh that all sounds so great! I laughed at the stalker comment, don't worry, i can walk one of two ways to my place and one of them I've seen my crush on the way home a couple of times, so if I'm feeling super self destructive, I'll walk that way and hope i see her. I feel like a teenager when i do it

I think what you and V have is so great, you are a great support for each other and the fact you are both going through a separation (I'm right there with you by the way-fun times), you share a special bond. Who knows, you may vibe her as straight but then you could be surprised. What sort of hints did you drop tonight? Did she react to any of them?

10. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HAHA! My brother thinks this is bound to turn into a major love affair. I don't know... It's so hard for me to believe something like that is possible. Like, I figure out I'm gay, and within a couple of months I meet my dream woman, and she actually goes for me?! No. I can't believe I could be that lucky. All I know is that she *does* like me *a lot*, and I should really enjoy that without worrying about what's next. But, I struggle!

Anyway, as for who should play us if this thing goes all the way? Hmmm... Alexandra Hedison could play me and Leisha Hailey could play V. They are both in "The L Word". Look them up. Both gay in real life and fit us perfectly as to our "types".

11. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I saw Wonder Woman today, and she asked me what I thought, so I went on and on about how gorgeous the actress was and how cool it was to see a powerful woman like that. Then I said, "oh and there was some handsome actor too, but who cares!" She laughed.

When I flattered her by saying she looked younger, and she told me, "you're my best friend!" I said something super corny and cringe-worthy like, "keep me around and I'll flatter you all the time." She sort of chuckled and leaned into my arm.

I never thought I could flirt before, but I guess I just wasn't trying it with the right person, LOL.

And, omg, haha about feeling "super self destructive" and walking the way you might see her. YES!!!

12. Really

I'm with your brother. Just wait until your dog leashes get tangled.

13. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LMAO!!!

Sorry if I hijacked your thread, "I am here". I'm just so hopelessly in love right now too, so I figured we could commiserate!

14. I am here

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, they are some solid hints! Also, nice job on the flirting front!

I can't flirt to save myself, i just become more sarcastic than i usually am. I'm ok with that when it comes to the teacher though because I'd die if she thought i was flirting, though she has to of vibed me by now?!?! Ugh.

Well i think you've definitely got a shot with V, she's definitely keen on you, whether it's in the way you want or not, she likes you a lot regardless. I'm jealous haha. I sometimes allow my head to wander into "maybe she does feel something for me..?" But I'm probably just dreaming.

15. I am here

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a problem, come join us! I'm very much hating love right now. I hope you're having a better experience?

16. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do feel so badly for you. What a disaster to have fallen for a gay woman who is taken?! Honestly, I think you'll feel a lot better if you lay your cards on the table. Just tell her. There's a few ways it can go:

1. She is flattered, but in love with her partner and not you. She lets you put some distance between you guys so you can have a chance at falling for someone else.

2. She feels something for you too, but doesn't want to cheat, so, as above, she lets you put some distance.

3. She feels something for you too, tells you, and wants to cheat on her partner with you. You'd have to decide whether that was OK.

4. She feels something for you, tells you, and leaves her partner. SCORE!

Realistically, there are no other possibilities. As hard as it will be to get this out in the open, I think you will OK however it plays out! Any of these outcomes are better than suffering the way you are now.

17. I am here

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are very right. It needs to be done because i can't continue on like this. For lack of any other option, i need to tell her. I've tried distancing myself and it hasn't worked and apart from pulling my son out of that school, i have nothing else i can do.

It's just the humiliation of it all. How do i show my face there when she knows how i feel, it makes me sick to think about, but then so does the other option of suffering on as i am.

I'm sorry for rambling on. I just feel so all consumed and I'm tired.

18. Really

I am here, is it possible your teacher friend is just really happy to have found someone who she can talk to and who "gets" her? The fact that her partner knew about you seems to me that it's unlikely she has feelings for you if she's discussed you with her partner.

The issue is that you're in a particular emotional state because of where you are in figuring out your sexuality and therefore susceptible to lesbians being nice to you. A lot of us are in that state. :frowning2:

If I were you, I'd concentrate on the available woman you've been talking to. I'm not sure what good it would do to confess your feelings. You don't want to break up her relationship, right? Regardless of your feelings, she's not available.

idsm likes this.
  19. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OMG, don't be sorry. I know it feels like it's going to be humiliating, but honestly it shouldn't be humiliating at all. What's bad about admitting you have a crush on someone. How could they fault you for that?

I get what "Really" is saying too on some level about not declaring your love to someone who is taken, but in this case, you just can't shake this woman. You need her to cooperate in giving you space so you can get over her. The only way is to either tell her how you feel or start being a complete bitch to her in an effort to get rid of her. The second option would be a really poor choice. Honesty is better, IMO.

20. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, maybe don't listen to me at all, because I am a mess in the love department myself. HAHA!!!