1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Percentage of the population that are gay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Paul_UK, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotboi97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i say about 5% lol :S

2. waitingsucks

I think that because of society in general being homophobic, many people would be scared to tell the truth even on an anonymous survey. I say this because I believe that the biggest homophobes are those who have internalized homophobia, they themselves may not be gay, but at least bi.

3. Lacri

Lacri Guest

That's really interesting, the paster of the church I am forced to attend to believes that is a bunch of bull. I also heard a lady online say she believes that that percent is a down right lie, that gays only make it so high to get sympathy....

4. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Hmmmm. I heard that about 10% of the population is gay, and thats about the same as the % of the population that is ginga.

5. FlatEarth

Really? 4%?
    i'm surprised

6. nosrsly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i thought i was 10 %

7. LOVEjames

Yeah, all embryos are female from the start, and those that are going to become male are given an extra hormone or something at a stage during the first trimester.

xD I got that from Jurassic Park. All the dinosaurs on there are female because they just deny them that hormone.

EDIT: Hm, and apparently. I live in the second gayest city in the United States. <3

[​IMG]

#27 LOVEjames, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  8. royce

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    well i was never really good with percents, but i do remember stats showing that 50 out of every 100 people are gay and only 10 out of those 50 will admit to it. So im thinking thats around 50% , which seems very, very high.

#28 royce, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  9. imsogoodatbass

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    well i heard it was 10% of the population that identify as GLBT

10. LOVEjames

Well, there's the people that identify as LGBT, but then there's people that don't identify as LGBT but still engage in 'homosexual activity' (I'm not terribly fond of that term), as in the people that identify as 'queer' or don't give themselves a label. So on top of the four percent you can probably add another percent. So 5%. Maybe 6%, but that's fairly generous. And then there's the people that have engaged in 'homosexual activity' as an experimentation but aren't LGBT.

Personally, I like the percent being a little lower. :grin: It makes me feel special. Like I get to be something only 5% of the population gets to be.

11. PatC

weird, I thought it was like 1 in 15, (like 6%). hmm.

12. Evilmonkey

i think it would also depend on what format the survey was taking place; whether it was an internet, paper, phone or face to face survey. A few years ago when i was really really in denial, even if it was an anonymous caller from a stranger in an indian call center, i still would not be able to say the words 'im gay' out loud, however if it was on the net i'd be able to type it, or tick a box. that might affect the %. Just my thoughts..

13. Condoguyhfx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There was a study that came out that suggested you could tell if a person was gay by looking at their hands. They said there was a correlation that if your pointer finger was shorter than your ring finger, it indicated or trended towards the individual being gay. The only reason I paid attention to it is because it is true with me. So now, I tend to look at a persons hands to see how their fingers match up. Silly, but has been interesting looking.

14. welshwonderdick

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    is this specific to any country?

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've read about that too. According to that theory, gay males didn't recieve enough testosterone in the first few weeks after conception, and lesbians recieved too much. I'm the type of person who likes to think everything can be explained by science, so that theory works for me.

16. Emberstone

the greatest threat to fundementalist chirstianity is science proving homosexuality is not a choice, but something that is genetic or ingrained in a person's development.

So, if someone asks you to take part in a scientific study on sexual orientation, and they arent working for the billy grahmn school of research, do it. lets prove them wrong.

I think its interesting that portland was on the gayest cities list. I wonder if they meant maine or oregon. I can see portland oregon as being high on the list, as they have a very west coast open to gay feeling.

17. guacj

Thats kind of shocking. I thought the total would be quite a bit higher. More like 10 - 12%. 2 - 3% is only about 8 million Americans.

18. mattypants

wow. northern california sure is gay. :lol:

19. vitanil

Out Status:
    Not out at all
  20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so this was posted in 2006 (8 years ago) mmm k and the last posting ever was in 2010 well now 10% of the world is gay :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.