1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People Asking you is you are a boy or girl

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VenomousWeb, Jul 4, 2012.

1. VenomousWeb

Europe, Originally from The South Pacific
    So I was just wondering, has anyone on here been questioned or quizzed on their gender be it biological/assigned or not? What did you think of it and how did you respond to it?

THis is for androgynous+trans* peeps in EC -or cissexuals too if you have any experience- anyway, Im wondering about how you guys deal with other peoples reaction to your gender, any problems or funny stories you've had.

Im androgynous, luckily for me my features aren't predominantly masculine or feminine which really works in my favour. Online I am often mistaken as the opposite sex, but most of the time people actually ask me what I am, to which I respond gender neutral or androgynous.

Once on my art website I posted a picture and asked people -for the laugh- to try guess my gender. The reaction was, to my surprise, highly amusing and it quickly became one of my most commented pieces and got a few faves too.

Some of those creeped me out ... but overall it was mostly funny.

Its amusing, because most of the time people are sorta touchy about the subject or dodge the question, but, maybe I appear super friendly or the people who are interested in my work are just very curious, they just come up and ask!

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I've never been outright asked about it, but ever since I've been growing my hair, I've been mistaken for female (though growing out my facial hair has recently put a stop to it, for the most part). It usually just leads to people being flustered and apologizing sheepishly when they realize their "mistake".

Being agender, I don't mind people mistaking me for the opposite sex (for the uninitiated, sex=what's between your legs, gender=what's in your head). On some level, I enjoy messing with gender norms (wearing non-bifurcated (not split in two) leggings, growing out my hair, etc.), because I find them to be oppressive overall, so anything that gets people to question them is a good thing in my book.

3. suninthesky

Once I was washing my hands in the bathroom and a teacher walked in. Then she practically ran back out, saying "sorry!" And then she walked back in and acted like I wasn't there. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Most of the time I don't really care if people call me a he or she. Whatever floats their boat, you know? I don't really like "it" though, especially if the intentions are bad.

You should post your picture!

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, I don't get those kinds of questions. It can actually be frustrating always being reffered to as "he". I wish it were something people got confused with periodically. Maybe that's why I am growing my hair out...

5. hiddenxrainbows

That happens to me sometimes too. I'm a female with really short hair, so people pick on me sometimes about being a little boy. But just picking, they never mean anything by it. And a couple of weeks ago, this old dude called me a guy...whatever tho. I'm not trans or anything, but I don't really care if someone calls me a dude.