1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partners family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Outdoorthey07, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Outdoorthey07

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m sure where to begin. My partner and I have been together for four years now. Since we’ve been together there’s been a lot of moments where I didn’t feel like her family was very accepting of our relationship. I struggle a lot with my own sexuality and always feel like everyone is judging me so I do want to add that because sometimes I think maybe I’m just over analyzing everything about it. I’ve mostly brushed off everything and thought maybe I’m over thinking this blah blah but this last year her sister started dating someone and they seem to be very involved with the family even their dog gets to go on family trips and over to their parents home and the rest of the family while our two dogs have never been invited over. It seems as though her parents and the rest of the family go out of their way to spend time with the both of them and plan events etc and don’t seem to do the same with the two of us. Though I know I have created my own hard feelings in regards to her family taking so long to be accepting of our relationship but I feel like at the end of the day even after four years they don’t see this as being a real relationship just something their daughter is doing in the mean time with me. Idk like I said maybe I’m just over thinking all of this and just being jealous.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I am sorry you are struggling with this. Have you spoken to your partner about it?
    It is one of those things that might be really hard to figure out if it is or isn't the case, perhaps there is some truth in it and then your insecurities then intensify that feeling. I can totally understand why it is upsetting for you, especially when you have been together 4 years. Ultimately I guess the question is almost not whether or not it is true but what you can do about it. It may be that there is little you can do, confronting them on the matter is not necessarily going to have a positive outcome. You talk about arranging meet ups, is this something you and your partner could do, like invite her family to go somewhere or do something? That way you show yourselves to be proactive in wanting to spend time with them.