1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parent Trouble

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kinley, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Kinley

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So i'm 16 and lesbian. My parents have both said they think i am but i never confirmed it. I am scared. I'm afraid they won't except me or understand me. And what if i get a girlfriend? Would they be willing to except her and our relationship. I want to have a girlfriend. I just don't want whoever my girlfriend will be to suffer from my parents. I also don't want to date in secret. So that's no an option. HELP!!!!

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they say this again, it might be a good idea to ask them how they would feel about it. It sounds like you denied it and never really found out how they might feel about you being a lesbian, so it really was an opportunity missed. Is there any way of moving a conversation with your parents in this direction?

3. Kinley

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for replying. I can try but my dad is a catholic and my mother is really christian and they don't really believe it is ok to be lesbian. They almost don't want to understand.:slight_frown:

4. canadawet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With those kinds of people, they often won't be accepting at first but because they are your child they may come to their senses over time. The main thing to remember is that you don't have to rush yourself to come out, find a girlfriend, any of that stuff. I am always of the opinion that you shouldn't come out till you are sure you are ready to do it and prepared as you can be. The most important things to remember, though, are that you are okay with yourself and that you are patient in trying to educate them if they allow you to. I wish you luck with everything and I hope they can accept you!<3 A lot of people are surprised by how their parents react as well, so you never know!

5. Kinley

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for your reply and advise. I find it very helpful.:relaxed:

canadawet likes this.
  6. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    maybe it was a missed opportunity, but at the same time don’t feel like you have to agree with the statement if it doesn’t feel right at the time. Probably not helpful, but trust your instinct, you’ll probably just know if it feels like an ok time to agree or say it.

On a personal note...if and when you do decide to come out to your parents, even though they have asked or said they thought you were a lesbian, they might still be shocked. I thought my parents had a suspicion as they had also asked me on a few occasions when I was younger but they were a bit taken aback when they did find out. Even if they have considered it previously they maybe didn’t give it much thought and will still need time to adjust to it.

Take care and good luck :fingers_crossed:

7. Kinley

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you LittleMouse for your support and advice I appreciate it.

LittleMouse likes this.