1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Parent object to Troy Ohio schools new bathroom policy

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Aug 31, 2015.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Parents object to Troy gender ID, bathroom policy | Dayton News | www.whio.com

A school system in Ohio is trying to do the right thing, and some parents are upset, even to the point of claiming they are pulling their child out of school.

An excerpt from the article:

Clark wrote a November article on transgender students that was sent to Ohio school districts by OSBA.

On one side, the article reports, there are no explicit federal legal protections for transgender students, and while more than a dozen states have their own laws offering some protections on the basis of gender identity, Ohio is not one of them.

On the other side, Clark said, the federal departments of education and justice argue that discrimination on the basis of gender identity or transgender status is “based on sex” and therefore in violation of Title IX (as Troy said).

The conflict creates a type of legal limbo that could eventually be decided by a Supreme Court ruling.

Normally the only thing in a WHIO web story comment section (at the bottom) is how someone made thousands of $ working from home, no real comments. Not this story, there are plenty of comments. Someone even blamed the "Satanic Jewish Media" for this new policy. :rolle:

2. RainDreamer

Never, ever look into the comment section of any news like this....

Hah, I am depressed. Well, at least the good thing is that the authority has allow kids to be who they are.

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why be depressed over comments? The main story about what is happening is a good thing, not some moron's opinion of it.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not surprised that people are objecting to this. Ohio is not the most progressive state in the world.

That being said, I do hope that this stands, because transgender people deserve to have access to the restroom of their choosing.

5. GhostOfRazgriz

I have no idea why people are complaining about this. The superintendent even has a solution for people who are concerned of voyeurism:

And at the end of the article they talk about this one person who is going to take her daughter out of the school. I don't understand why, at least she has an accessible bathroom she can feel comfortable in.

For the first 3 years of high school, I didn't even have that. Did I leave the school? No I just had to deal with it. And my senior year, I they allowed us (trans students) to use the bathrooms in the counselors' office. But they were staff bathrooms and people would stop me to ask what I was doing there, so I had to make sure no one was around. And I was already out to the school. I don't even know how someone in the closet could have possibly use that bathroom without outing themselves. In this school district, nobody would stop you from using those bathrooms without an explanation. You can still be a transphobe [bold]AND[/bold] in the closet about it.

Now that I'm in college, I deal with it again. There are some gender neutral restrooms scattered across the campus, but none are in the buildings my classes are in. This school district is offering a restroom for these transphobic students to use in every single darn building in the district.

I swear, these people don't know how good they get it. Even when they claim they're being "oppressed" or "their rights are being taken." If someone didn't want to use a restroom with a PoC, because of their falsely based beliefs of a risk of sexual/violent assault, you would tell them to find a blooping single stall bathroom, hold it in, or get over it.

On a final note, I'm going place this video here of someone dismantling the bathroom debate better than I can. To get to that part, go to 9:08:
    [YOUTUBE]hmoAX9f6MOc[/YOUTUBE]

I wish John Oliver acknowledged nonbinary people in this video, though. :\ Other than that this video is fantastic, and I recommend watching the whole thing.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope this doesn't lead to people pushing for bathroom bills here.

7. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There can be no bathroom bill in Ohio, the Ohio SC has ruled that they endorse EVERYTHING on your state ID, including your gender. Once the ID is changed there isn't a damn thing they can do about it. Trust me I've tested it and they backed down.

8. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I say we just get rid of all the bathrooms in the US and replace them with the ones they have at target that only one person can go in so everyone's happy.