1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansexual as a sexuality option?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by quinnboi, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quinnboi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pansexual, and I feel like especially since it's pride month, we should have more awareness about pansexuality?

2. Monocyte

Monocyte New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hell yes! I identified as pansexual for so long before switching to bisexual, and I felt like maybe if I had known that it was a real label that existed before, I would have started using it earlier. Even though it turned out that pansexual was a “gateway label” for me (the label I used when I was a baby gay), having it there for me made everything easier than it was when I identified as simply “queer”. I never want new members of the LGBTQ community to not know that there is a generally-accepted label for what they experience. Pansexuality is real, even though it isn’t my experience, and I wish more people felt that way.

3. quinnboi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yess I couldn't have said it better

4. Shadows123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love to have pansexual as a sexuality option. I identify as pansexual but I chose bi on here because it was the closest option to pansexual and more specific than "other".

5. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not pansexual, but I have wondered about this, too. Maybe users should be able to write in how they want to identify instead of having to choose. That would cover all the bases, pretty much.

6. quinnboi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah! I was gonna say that, but I thought it might be too far-fetched

7. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On old EC, this was the case. I was "not straight" for months. So, not a far-fetched idea. I imagine that there's a reason why it's not the same on new EC.

#7 LostInDaydreams, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  8. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I vaguely remember that, I think. The way they have things now is very limiting for a lot of people, it seems, and it might also help other users answer questions and help users who do not just fit nice, neat boxes.

9. OnlyATadConfusd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There also isn't an option to identify as ace, which seems bizarre to me!

10. OnlyATadConfusd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also think it would be valuable for users to have the option to disclose romantic orientation (I vaguely recall this being an option in the past??), as for many this can be an important element of how an individual chooses to identify, especially those who identify as aromantic or similar.

Being made aware that romantic orientation can differ from sexual orientation definitely played a big role in helping me figure out my own romantic and sexual sexual identity, and allowing people to specify romantic orientation in their profiles would help spread the knowledge to new members who might benefit similarly.

11. Pink Blue

Somewhere on this tiny rock we call Earth
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It would be great to be able to choose from more options, for example pan and asexual. Non binary as a gender option would be great too.

12. Anjelyka

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pansexual isn't about sexuality though, it's about an attraction goes beyond sex...beyond the physical. It is possible to be Pansexual while having a sexual attraction, from what I know it is rare but possible. I do identify as pansexual and I find myself more attracted to feminine and effeminate people.

13. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah at one point, you could type in whatever for your sexual orientation. (I used to have "Bi/Queer" before the website updated, and then I chose "bisexual" from the dwindled options) Would any admins know why this changed?

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has to do with the built-in structure of the new platform. It is modifiable with changes to the programming code, and the admins have discussed adding additional options, and part of it is ensuring that whatever options we add are supported by evidence, research, and/or wide acceptance among professionals in the field. Additionally, there are a whole lot of administrative tasks on our plate right now, and the admin team is currently running at about half-capacity (due to our various real-world obligations; we're all volunteers), so, quite honestly, this has been lower on our priority list. But we will address it eventually.

#14 Chip, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  15. smurf

Because we all know the most important thing about sexual identity is being validated by science. No need for all these pesky kids inventing their own language and defining their own identities.

I wonder what research there is to support the policing of how people identify. How dangerous and life-changing it is for people to choose between omnisexual and homosexual. Probably all in the name of the greater good and knowing that if people just choose the right identity then they can live their best lives possible according to our own rules. That logic probably hasn't been used before to convert gay people to a better and happier identity in the past im sure.

That will never be an option for Empty Closets. Not as long as the Ivory Tower that is Chip has a say in it. Only science-based sexual identities here! Everyone else can keep their made-up, emotionally-stunning, and bizarre agendas to themselves :slight_smile:

#15 smurf, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  16. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Attacking the staff won't change the reality that we are all volunteers and, thus, we have to work with a priority list. Unfortunately, this means some things will have to wait a bit, not because they aren't important, but because we have tasks that, if we don't accomplish first, the forum will simply cease working properly.

We have discussed numerous times in public threads the topic of science and labels. We never said anything like you are accusing us of, and we respect the right of everyone to use the label that the individual thinks it's best for him/her. We have never and will never attack someone because of the chosen label.

That said, we do need to worry about the scientific side of things, for the sake of providing quality information for our members. If someone says they identify as X, but that X isn't recognized scientifically, like i said, we won't say that the person can't identify like that, but we have to point out that the label X isn't supported by current studies.

Frequently, people create new labels for every small variation on human sexuality, in cases where a label isn't needed. What is the problem of that, you might ask? For Empty Closets, we need to remember we have many visitors/new users that come here with an extremely confused mind. Some of them never had any previous contact with the LGBT community. By sticking to scientific recognized labels, not only we solidify our arguments and it is easier to provide trustworthy resources to help that person, but we also avoid confusing the person even more by speaking of the innumerous labels that are created everyday, most of them without a profound reflection and discussion that should accompany the "birth" of a new, solid concept. In many cases, there are labels that only make communication harder.

I repeat: Please understand that we aren't trying to invalidate anyone's identity, and we are constantly listening to feedback and discussing it internally. However, for the reasons mentioned (and others previously discussed in other threads), including a new label in the system isn't as simple as just clicking a button.

We are aware this isn't the answer most of you wanted, but, unfortunately, this is the situation at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.