1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pads & Tampons (Men beware!)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ccdd, Jul 8, 2008.

1. unouxx3me

unouxx3me Guest

Lol chris...my opinion:

Mooncups scare me, plus I wouldn't buy them over the internet anyway. Pads suck and I get bad reactions from them (yes all brands). Tampons also suck, but they're the lesser of two evils. Plastic ones are worse than cardboard for me...never seem to "get up there enough". Lol...being a girl sucks sometimes. LoEstrin24 makes life easier...3 days of easy bleeding. One day kind of heavy the rest are light as anything, then pantyliners also ftw. Gods I'd never shove a cup like that into me, taking it out...what a nightmare.

2. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Hey thanks for this - always looking for new opinions!

I was hoping to start using the mooncup for the first time this month, but it looks like I'm going to get my period when I'm busy and doing lots of stuff and, to put it bluntly, when I'm going to be in situations where I do not want to be experimenting.

Next month maybe... I'm quite annoyed, but I REALLY do not want to experiment with something new except when I'm just sitting at home! I don't want more to worry about than I already have to at the moment!

So my "mooncup review" will probably have to wait another month, as I'll probably not be giving it a go this time round!

3. moonlight

I have to use pads, but I hate them, they make me feel unclean and the never stay in place and I always have issues with leakage. I would love to be able to use tampon as the are just so much easier, but my body doesn't seem to like them, with in and hour of putting one in I am being sick. I would like to use them more now but since I've had children I am trouble with my flow, it seems as though I am constantly having a period, but anyway I hope you manage to find something that helps you out.

cosmic

4. pinkhotbabe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well i use pads unless im swimming or anything like that and i find they both work fine. But if im at someones house i find tampons easier cause u can flush them and u dont need a bin. I have no idea what this moon cup thing is !!!

5. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

Ah. I would really like to try a mooncup, even tho they do seem quite scary.
    I haven't used a pad since junior high. I could not stand them. I would change them every hour because I felt dirty, even tho they were pretty empty.

Scary story, the other week I was on my period and it was a pretty light day. Anywho, I took my tampon out, and there was another string. So all day I wore two tampons. I didn't feel uncomfortable or anything. Apparently I had forgotten to take the first one out int the morning. I was so shocked. I didn't think it was possible for that to happen.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You know that has happened to me too. I thought it was my old age. I feel better now that you've said it. I also wondered if maybe they were defective tampons that somehow separated. You think we'd know if we were putting in a tampon on top of another one.

7. silentsound

I don't think the tampons are defective. I did that once when I was in a hurry to get out the door to soccer practice after school. I think it just happens when you're in a hurry and the first one has become soft if it's been in use for a while, so you probably wouldn't notice it when you're putting the new one in. Still, I am always extra careful now... it was quite shocking, although hardly painful or unpleasant...

8. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

It wasn't scary. Just shocking and amusing.

9. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I love how I just contradicted myself.

10. ccdd

ccdd Guest

A few days ago I noticed that my local Boots store now sells Mooncups. I've decided that I'm going to buy one tomorrow. I will let you know how things, er, work out.

11. MLCarr

I despise pads. I seriusly only use maybe two per period. One on my first day and one on my last, just to make sure everything got out alright.

But keep in mind I am a swimmer. I have practices at least once a day, weekends twice a day....

I still remember being 13 on my first period and my mom goes *hands box of tampons with directions inside* "Go to practice, it may take a few tries, but you better get your butt in the pool." :eusa_doh: I had to have a really nice old lady explain to me how they worked. I was so embarassed...She still says hi to me to this day when I see her at the local YMCA where we practice...

12. Apocalypte

I'd love to try Mooncups the next time I have a period, I've always been a little curious about them. However, I haven't had a period heavy enough to fill a regular-sized tampon in about 3 years, bizarrely enough.

13. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Our lives are the same thing. Or at least, they were when I was still swimming with a team. That's freaky.

14. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

This whole thread has made me laugh so much. The boys' input is surprisingly accurate too. I still remember when my mom use to give me sanitary towels before I started. I use to go on school tours and she didnt want me to feel embarrassed asking a teacher so she always use to put some in my bag. The funniest thing was that I would get to the camp and then empty my bag and there would be more pads and tampons in my bag than clothes! (and that was before I started!).
    My family is mediterranean and so big and loud (picture "my big fat greek wedding") and when I actually started my period my mom started crying. She then proceeded to ring my aunt, who then came over and gave me a kiss and also started crying. This process continued with many other family members. Well I've been brought up in the UK and that's just not normal here!!!

15. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I haven't worn a pad since I was 14. I only used them for the first two times. When I did use them I changed it every hour because I thought it was gross. I do wear pantyliners sometimes along with a tampon (I like the thong kind a lot).

16. ccdd

ccdd Guest

silas99 omg that is so funny! Although that said, when I started my period I told my mum, and she hugged me and exclaimed "Congratulations! You're a woman!". But I don't think all the relatives got told though....

I didn't get a mooncup in the end. I've had a very stressful week, and the idea of also trying out a new form of sanitary protection was just too much!!!!!!!!! These sorts of things really require an empty schedule (and no potentially embarrassing situations) and no other stresses. So - maybe next month I will get around to trying it!

17. ElizabethAnne

Ha ha ha. All the comments about the moon cups are hilarious!! All I have to say is don't knock it if you haven't tried it. They saved my butt (er vagina?) big time the last time I was at an environmental science field camp out in the middle of nowhere (or more accurately, in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere). I got my period on the first day of this ten day venture - we were up and about from 7 AM to at least midnight every single day, looking at frikkin' rock formations on the side of highways, and writing up projects. There were no toilets or anything anywhere. I never even had to think about the fact that I was on my period except when we got home and when I got up in the morning.

The blood doesn't drip down your arm or anything. In fact, it's totally great for times when you want fool-proof protection. My only complaint is that I'm pretty small inside, and so it hurts for a second to take it out. But other than that, it's really the best menstrual solution I've ever had.

18. GuitarGirl1350

I prefer tampons. You don't feel them, so that's the biggest attraction for me. Pads make me feel uncomfortable, like I'm wearing a wet diaper, and since I'm usually in a bad enough mood on my period, I don't need that discomfort on top of it (between hormones and cramps and my emotions freaking out...yeah)

I don't think I'd ever use a moon cup or other menstrual cup. Yes, it's eco-friendly. No, I'm not completely averse to trying it. I just don't like the idea of the blood sitting in a pool down there. It doesn't seem...as healthy as a tampon (which sucks in the blood) in my opinion. I guess if you've ever had Toxic Shock (someone I know had it and she can never use tampons again) it's a better option than a pad, but yeah. Also, tampons can be flushed away whereas pads can't. They have to handled and rolled-- much more stressful than pulling a string and flushing.

19. Nugget

Am I the only girl who still uses pads?

I've tried putting a tampon in, but I was always afraid I'd do something wrong and hurt myself. But I think they're useless. You'd probably have to take several minutes to go all the way in there and shove it in, which is yuckeh and kind of painful (due to cramping), only to put on a pantiliner for back-up protection. Wtf? You put on a pad and you won't need that extra coverage. I used to wear pantiliners with my pads, until I found the right one. It's thin, dry, and covers a lot of areas.

You rip the pad off, fold it, and then place it inside the little, individual packets that they put the pads in. Barely even messy.

20. White Sundog

I'm primarily a pad user, but I use tampons on occasion, most especially for swimming and for taking showers during the heaviest parts of my period (usually early Day 2). I use Stayfree Ultra-Thin pads, and have no problems with them...they don't really feel diaper-like at all. With tampons, I sometimes do run into the problem of the wrong flow level, although my flow is often pretty predictable once the heavy part starts. They're also just not very comfortable...I don't think I'm good at getting them high enough up, so I feel them, whereas I don't notice the ultra-thin pads that much.

I've never tried moon cups, but I once had a roommate who swore by them. I don't really like the idea of not being able to change them discreetly in a public restroom, so I probably won't bother with them.