1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outing to sister?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LoveMarshmallow, Jul 3, 2019.

1. LoveMarshmallow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've known that I'm bi for more than 4 years now (I'm 18). Meanwhile all my friends and since I moved into a city a year ago everybody here who it came up to knows. Just not my family (sister and mother). I've always wanted to wait to tell them until I have a girlfriend to have 'proof'. My mum is very oldfashioned and lives in the country.

I'm still single but I feel the need to at least tell my sister. But I'm kinda scared. She's not homophob and in general she doesn't mind but as her little sister I'm a different story than the general public. So, I'm kinda scared and whenever I think of telling her thoughts like 'But what if I'm not bi after all' or 'what if I'll never even date a woman'...come up in my head. At the same time I know exactly that I'm bi. I've loved a woman and I know that it's real. But when I think of telling her I start to doubt everything. Do you have any tips for me? Shall I tell her?

2. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't need to have proof. If you know in your heart that that is the way you feel, it is all that matters. Don't doubt yourself! As far as telling your family, it is up to you. I think when the time is right you will know.
    Take Care
    Dean

quebec likes this.
  3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LoveMarshmallow.....I agree with @johndeere3020...what you feel is what counts. It's the "mountain climb" that is the coming out experience that is so difficult. Something that we have to fearfully force our way through...something that a straight person will never really understand. Telling someone who knows you so well...especially parents/family...that you are not who they have always thought you were. Been there, sobbed and cried through every second of it...waterfall tears. At that time I didn't think about sending a text, email or a letter. HOWEVER...you can do that! :old_smile: Coming out in writing means you will not be interrupted or face a barrage of questions that you need to answer immediately, in the heat of the moment. You get time, and they all get time too and that counts for a lot. Even if you don't eventually use the letter, taking the time to think about it and to write one will help you be sure to say what you need to say and leave out the rest!

There are some great sample letters here on empty closets that could be a big help to you. Check them out...they could be a real comfort!

COMING OUT LETTERS: Go to the Login page, but do not login. At the top, you will see some links. Click on "Resources". That will bring up a page with a box on the upper left. In that box, you will see a link to "Coming out letters". Click that and you are there! I wish you much good luck...you can and will make it!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

johndeere3020 likes this.