1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ouran Host Club: Is Haruhi trans* or Genderqueer?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by steelygreye, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelygreye

I don't know... but for some reason I just can't stop thinking about it. What do you think?

On one hand, Haruhi says "Who cares about that anyway?" when asked about gender. But Also, Haruhi dresses and generally lives as a boy at school.

Haruhi may also be bigender, switching roles from male to female with ease.

I waste way too much time putting way too much thought into anime.

2. singingbird

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i will watch it and tell you . i love anime! <3

3. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Haruhi Fujioka
    Haruhi Fujioka (藤岡 ハルヒ Fujioka Haruhi?) is the main character of the series. She was born on February 4[2] and is 15 years old at the start of the series.[3]

Copied from Wikipedia.

4. Bolin

Haruhi explicitly states that she just doesn't care about the way she looks. She had long hair, but cut it because washing bubblegum out would be too much of a pain. She cross dressed mostly because of the debt she owed to the host club, but she didn't really mind. In some of the later episodes, you can actually see her wearing girly clothes of her own volition as well. I think she's just one of those people that just doesn't really care what she's wearing, simple as that. One of my sisters is just like that. I don't think it's anything more than that. :slight_smile:

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HA! Ha ha ha... Ha.... Oh boy, I wouldn't be surprised if she was. In fact, Haruhi's way of thinking is very similar to my own, so that played a pretty big role in determining that I didn't comply with the "normal" gender rules.

But seriously, I've been thinking the same thing. Her father's a crossdresser... so... yeah.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say Haruhi is a cis girl, but doesn't care much for looking feminine. Plus, didn't she have to look like a boy for one reason or another, to join the host club or something?

Mostly unrelated, but I loved Ouran! It's definitely the gayer part of me coming out lol, but I had a great time watching the cute bishounen guys and pink, sparkly everything. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The show made a great contrast to my usual Gears of War-style entertainment.

I totally had a fictional character-crush on Kyoya.
    [​IMG]

7. Pain

Pain Guest

Maybe, but if she hasn't said so, then who are we to assume? :slight_smile:
    Love Ouran! :slight_smile:

8. steelygreye

Eh, just speculation about fictional characters. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Thought about this when I saw the "Frodo and Sam" thread.

9. GhostOfRazgriz

I don't know about Haruhi, but her father....

10. Pain

Pain Guest

Hey, hey, hey! Just because someone is a drag queen doesn't mean they're uncomfortable with their gender or biological sex!

11. FireLadyPhoenix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yo having a genderqueer identity doesn't necessarily mean that a person is uncomfortable with their gender identity or biological sex. You implying that Haruhi's dad is cis because he isn't "uncomfortable" with his identity is cissexist. Be careful of that.

I actually do think Haruhi is genderqueer.

12. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I've only watched a few episodes, but Haruhi doesn't seem to mind being seen as either gender, and she doesn't protest when people use female pronouns or think of her as a girl. I don't know I guess she could be genderqueer, or just gender nonconforming.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is an old thread. Please remember to check dates before you post :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.