1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operation woes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This morning, I had a gastroscopy and sonar of the abdomen done, and the doctor found I have a tiny tear in my diaphragm (not big enough to warrant an operation) and I also have gallstones. So now I'm booked for a gallbladder removal operation next Tuesday. Not looking forward to it. I've been booked off sick till Monday, and then Tuesday the operation and another week of recovery. I don't like being off work for so long, and my boss is getting cranky too. But not much I can do anyway, so I will have to have this operation done. My boss just has to understand that I need to be healthy and in 100% working order to do a proper job at work. Has anyone else had their gallbladder removed, and how did you find the recovery process, and life thereafter?

My mom had hers removed about a month or two ago, and she puked pure gall for a couple of days, can't handle fatty foods (so no more pork fat for me :frowning2:) and she also cannot handle coffee. My friend also had hers removed and she can drink coffee, so there's hope. But she also said that fatty foods make her nauseous, even after having recovered a long time ago.

I know there's nothing to be afraid of really, but it'll take a lot of sacrifice. Which I guess is okay as long as I'm healthy but still. No more pork fat, and that's the best bit about eating pork. No chicken skins, no fast foods (which I'm fine with, because I don't eat fast foods anymore) and possibly no coffee (depending on my individual situation). If I can't drink coffee anymore, I don't know what I'd do because I practically live for my morning coffee, lol.

2. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really? That's strange...both my grandmother and aunt have had their gallbladder removed and they're absolutely fine. My aunt actually had hers removed a few weeks ago. They still eat junk foods and my grandmother drinks coffee like it's water. I've never heard of the changes your friend and mother have experienced. Not even the vomiting. I'd say it's a different experience for everyone and they just got unlucky.

It's like when I had my tonsillectomy. Some of the kids in the hospital were seemingly recovering fine after their operation (we all got the same) but I actually ended up coughing up blood a few days afterwards and it took me about six weeks to feel okay.

I know this might be useless advice but try not to worry too much. You don't know what's going to happen yet so don't assume the worse :blush:

3. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Spot. Your post made me feel a bit more optimistic :slight_smile: I'm sure I'll be alright. I'll try not to worry about it too much. I've watched a video on YouTube of a gallbladder removal and it didn't seem all that scary. The doctor also explained it to me when I went for the gastroscopy on Wednesday. It's not the operation itself that I'm worried about. It's more the recovery process. My uncle on my mom's side was working again only 4 days after he had his removed, but then a friend of the family said it took him about a month to recover from his gallbladder removal. So I guess it depends on each individual. I will just have to wait and see I guess, lol

4. Kinley

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi my name is kinley i am 16 and new to this site. i just came acrossed this. i think your comment about not worrying to much is great advise. i know some people who worry to much and that just makes things worse. what you gave was great advise.

5. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! I trust you will find this site as helpful and welcoming and encouraging as we all have thus far. And thank you for posting on my thread. Have fun! :grin:

6. Kinley

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people