1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online/Long Distance Relationships - Bad Idea? Or has it worked out for you?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Aerin, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For many of us I think it's hard to meet people in person. Where I live, there aren't any gay bars and everyone is pretty conservative so I have only met a few gay people, and none so far that I'm really interested in.

I think it's natural for us to seek out like-minded people online, but can an online relationship really go anywhere romantic? I met someone through one of my social media accounts, and I'm starting to develop feelings. But she lives across the world from me. I'm wondering if I should maybe cut contact to avoid getting overly invested in something that isn't going anywhere.

What experiences have you had with this?

---------- Post added 16th Apr 2016 at 02:57 PM ----------

Ugh I didn't want to post this in Coming Out Advice, I'm such an idiot. Are any mods able to move it to a more appropriate forum?

#1 Aerin, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The cods need Catfish to nip at their heels. Proceed with caution...
    I've had no experience with it but I know too many people who have been catfished so I would recommend either not getting into online dating or running background checks ( such as reverse image searches and general information etc) on people you get into a relationship with...
    It is all too common to see people who are not really who they pretend to be...

3. ChillPenguin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Online dating apps in general are pretty dodgey. I like to refer to it as a roulette because chances are you're going to lose a large number of times before you finally win and find that perfect person.

But even so, your concerns are valid. Perhaps you have found someone that's genuine that you're interested in. But they live in a different part of the world. In order to even meet them in person, you will have to travel abroad (or her coming to you). And if you want to take it further then one of you will have to give up your country in order to live with the other person. If this is an investment you are interested in, don't let me stop you but you're still young and only just starting out in life. But if you don't want this, it's probably best to tell her that it's not going to work. There are examples of long distance relationships working, but most don't.

Considering you have already met a few gay people in person it may only be a matter of time before you meet someone you like. Or you could always move to somewhere that has a higher prevelance of gay people when you get the opportunity.

Hope this helps.

4. LoveMeLez

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I currently talk to a girl that is about 10-11 hours away from me. We have talked for almost a year now. We have ups and downs because of the long distance. I guess it all depends on if you want to get really serious with someone and if the distance is too hard for you to handle. I find it easier to meet at least at first online but of course you should skype to see they are who they say they are and have phone calls as well. I guess it just differs from person to person.

5. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wouldnt go for an online relationship. they always let you down. You should def. have seen the person IRL before starting anything. Ive always had that id be talking to a guy and they would look so different from their pics IRL. I wouldnt do it, just so you wont get let down of all your hopes

6. KayJay

I met my BF on an MMO, I had no intentions of getting romantically involved with anyone but over time our in game talks branched out from game stuff into real life stuff. We started to bond and talk for hours and eventually he came to see me, a few provinces over. Our first meeting went pretty well and we've been flying to see each other about once a month now. It's definitely going pretty well.

There are some hard parts to being in a long distance relationship. Especially if you don't see each other IRL much at all. So there definitely needs to be some caution taken but at the same time it can work if you can deal with the distance. I never intended to meet someone online again and now here I am!

7. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's cool to see different opinions on this. I absolutely agree that it's important to proceed with caution, cat fishing is so prevalent these days. Skyping and talking on the phone before getting into anything is really smart.

8. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in two ldr so far. I think they can work out if both people can compromise and understand as well as want to make it work.

In my first ldr i thought it would work out and little by little I could tell that I was more into her than she was to me but I didn't want to let it go. Whenever we did breakup it took almost a year to get over. Part of it is you always wonder what if, and you live in fantasy land where you constantly wonder how it will be when you are together

I'm currently in my second ldr and this girl is across the world from me too. We talk everyday even if it's only for a few minutes. It's nowhere near easy! There's a language barrier because her native language is Thai and mine is English, we are learning each other's languages though so that makes it easier. Since our times are so different we send videos and pictures to each other so we can still talk a bit as well as video chatting before work each day. We've been going out for two months so far and plan to meet in September. I can tell she wants to be with me as I want to be with her because we are both doing everything we can to make our very difficult relationship work.

I would just advise being cautious. And video chatting is a must! That way you can make sure the person is really who they say they are and it helps form a stronger connection.

9. Embi

Embi Guest

I'd say that it can work if you aren't too far away from each other or have enough money and time to visit regularly or when you know you have to wait for a certain amount of time and then you'll see each other on a reguar basis. But otherwise it just hurts because you can't be with that person you love. And that's what I'm experiencing right now.
    I am really glad I know my girlfriend because she's so important and helps me so much but I also wish I never met her because the pain of knowing that you might never see that person and have to end it because it's impossible to work out, is horrible.
    So I'd say cut contact and find someone who at least lives in your country.