1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online dating during quarantine- is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Canterpiece, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I often get bored with dating apps, the conversations I have on them don't tend to go anywhere. Plus I see profiles of people that I distantly know and I have a mini panic because I wonder "would it be weird if I liked your profile? I mean, we've spoken before but I think we're distant friends now?" or I go in a loop of profiles and keep seeing them even though I'm trying to avoid that profile (despite swiping left- some apps do this when you run out of people).

There's so much mindless swiping involved in these things but I would like to meet someone (not face to face atm of course). Should I just give up and wait until this is all over?

#1 Canterpiece, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nobody's sure when the situation will go away. Some even say it will last decades. Covid19's part of everyone's normal routine now, whether lockdown is on or not. You can't wait forever untill it's the right time because it might never come--in worst case scenario. Chatting online is worth it because you can still meet them in person (with a mask) once lockdown is lifted.

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the boredom that you’re talking about. It might be good to take short break, if you’re feeling really fed up with it. That could be true for any time though, not just lockdown.

I suppose the big difference at the moment is that it’s not as easy to meet in person, which can be a good thing in some ways (depending on what you’re looking for).

The people are the same though, and whilst there might be less to talk about (with day-to-day life not having much variety), I think you’ll still either find things to talk about (as you have similar interests) or you won’t.

#3 LostInDaydreams, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a related question: Do you think a lack of relationship experience matters? I'm 21 but I've never been in a relationship or done anything casual.

#4 Canterpiece, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  5. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion, I think it depends on what you're looking for. Some people sign up to dating apps/sites to just make friends and meet people. Others sign up to them to meet people, go on a few dates and see if a relationship will bloom from it.

I've been on dating sites in the past and during quarantine. Not really to meet anybody or for anything in particular, but sometimes it's nice to connect to people and to just have a chat. Everyone is different though.

In terms of relationship experience, unfortunately I don't think anyone can really give you a solid answer on that, because every individual you meet is different. I've met women who've only wanted women with previous experience because they 'know what they're doing', but I've also met women who don't care about that factor.

The only true way to find out is to ask that individual what kind of relationship they're looking for, and what their relationship experience preferences are.