1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On gender therapists

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DRex, Sep 2, 2016.

1. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've seen a lot of confused people showing up and seeking advice about figuring out their gender identities, and the usual advice seems to be to seek out a gender therapist for help. I did that already, and had a rather unhelpful experience.

I'd had fantasies about being female in different contexts (some sexual, some not) ever since I was 13 and was struggling to figure out what they meant and who I was. In some ways I still am wondering about them. Specifically, I've often felt like having a feminine figure and breasts would be something I'd like, and just being able to interact with people as female sounds appealing. When it's possible to create my own characters in RPGs I often make female ones. Yet my own self-image of myself is male, I tend to identify with male characters in media (to the point where trying to play Legend of Zelda while maintaining a female identity actually felt like it hurt me), and I have no problem at all with my genitals. Needless to say a lot of things were confusing me.

Anyway, I posted this on a different forum about my experiences before:

I'd had three different people on an online trans support group recommend one particular therapist as the absolute, hands-down best one in my area, and had high hopes that she'd be able to help me sort things out. Being told by people that going to a gender therapist would help me sort things out added to my hopes.

What a disappointment. First off, she was very out of touch with a lot of the cultural specifics (details of different roles I played in video games, etc.) that were causing me confusion and got everything about them wrong when she tried to research them. So no help there.

Second, she gave me a handout showing a very outdated concept of "degrees of being transgender" that included different levels of sexual desire and orientation as indicators of how trans someone was. I'm not sure she believed all of it herself, but she did react with interest and took notes when I mentioned I was bisexual.

Next, she made one major foul-up that affected her perception of me. On the intake form, she had indicted that I should write my legal name and whatever name I preferred to be called. Naturally, I answered accurately that my legal name was James and I preferred to be called Jamie. Jamie was a diminutive form of James that my parents had called me since I was a baby, and because it flowed better with my last name I had kept using it instead of James. She, however, assumed there was only one reason why i would want to go by that name: Jamie was a name that could be female, and since I was there, I must have adopted Jamie to express a female identity. Attempting to correct her didn't really help.

That leads to the major problem with her. She seems to have assumed I must be trans from the beginning. To her, the people she saw tended to be trans already and just needed help transitioning; that was what she was doing. That was confirmed in her view by, in her words "You told me that you wanted to be called Jamie instead of James. That tells me something." What she tried to to with me was to help me accept the inner identity she felt I was trying to express, whereas I didn't want that kind of help. I was really confused about my identity and needed someone who would actually help me figure out what it was. And she was so set on validating my supposed identity and letting me know it was OK to "be who I was" that she didn't realize that was not what I was looking for!

Really, everything that did help me I did not get from her, and like everything else my sessions with her only added to my frustration. To be perfectly honest, I think the recommendations I got about her being "the best in the area" were misguided and the people making them were looking at it from an angle of "Which therapists will sign off on letters for HRT/surgery most quickly and painlessly?" Which, of course, is what a lot of people do want, but I was specifically looking for someone who could help me figure myself out, not someone who would just sign off on something I wasn't even sure I wanted in the first place.

Eventually, I hit a point where I just realized that I was happier before I'd started questioning my identity so much, and decided to just live life and focus on other things instead. I told her as much at our last meeting, and she said that she could tell I was happier. Yet she also warned me that a lot of people repress being trans for a long time and eventually end up having to transition anyway. Again with the assumptions!

So anyway, I'm not sure the advice of "See a gender therapist if you're questioning" is really the best thing to do. It may be different for different people, but at least in my opinion it was a waste of time and money.

#1 DRex, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It honestly really depends. It is generally given as the go to because if a person does decide to medically transition, then they will likely need letters from a gender therapist in order to get on the right path. It sounds like this was more of a one therapist issue, than an issue overall. I would try to talk to another therapist about this when you are ready. It does sound like there are things that you do need to work through, but this person was just not the right one for you to work through them with.

It can be really hard to find a therapist that is right for you, but at the end of the day is is usually a process that is worth it.

3. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The problem with her was that I'd specifically asked that support group about someone who would actually work with me on figuring out my identity from all possible angles. I said that I didn't want someone who would oppose me if I realized I did have to transition, but that wasn't my primary concern. First and foremost, I asked them to recommend someone who would help me find my identity, and they didn't deliver on that.

4. Hint

At least your 'therapy' was voluntary, jebus.
    Imagine how much worse that would have been if people who misunderstood you-- people who were supposed to care-- has 'suspected' you of being Trans and forced you to get counseling against your will.

I agree with you that that was a not worth the time (and money), but I also agree with what BradTheCat said about that you shouldn't stop trying, that you should keep looking for the right one for you. Not worth the time. Not a full-on waste.
    Hell, I would kill to have a therapist like that-- I have the opposite problem, I don't want a doctor/therapist who will help me figure out what I am, I want a doctor/therapist who will just give me stuff and give me the authority to start 'medically transitioning' (or whatever you're supposed to call it). So basically it's the other way around for me, what you got instead of what you wanted, is something that I would actually want.

What's imporant is that you stress the importance of figuring yourself out first. so you don't 'mess up' and have more problems down the road. That's a lot more mature than most Transgender people are about the issue of being Trans, Hell, that's more mature about it than even the therapist you were seeing.
    Not me, though, I need to start Horomone Replacement Therapy ASAP so I can develop full-sized tits and 'fat redistribution' into a feminine figure and possibly find out whether I 'pass' for female without having to 'try hard' (or voluntarily alter my voice, for that matter)-- I think just knowing whether I would 'pass' for female is the most important part at this point-- just so I can see whether or not I'm wrong. Seriously, I tried wearing women's underwear for a day, hell, I'm wearing them right now, and I feel like that's not giving me enough information. I need to start HRT just to see whether I need to have HRT, you know?

5. AmyBee

Seconding this.